Megaman

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by QuantumShock, Sep 22, 2007.

1. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Anyone into this ? I played ZX, which means it's my first actual Megaman experience. I also played Megaman X 4 in PC when I was 11, but I didn't follow the series much. I can't wait for ZX : Advent, I despise Pandora and Prometheus

2. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i only ever really liked the classic series myself... megaman 2 and 3 were the best... sometime between 5 and 6 i kind of got bored with it though because they kept trying to be megaman 4 all over again when 2 and 3 were the real height of the series. i could never get into the x games.

3. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I used to, until it became a series just to make money

4. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Every video game is made to make money, no matter if it's an original title or the 20th in a series.

Anyway, I love the NES originals and the X series and I'd definitely call myself a fan. I've never played any of the handheld ones or anything else though.

5. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I mean, pretty much everything is the same over and over. Pokemon has new monsters and something else that keeps it fresh, but Megaman was full of recycled ideas and junk

6. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

Minus the last 2 handheld releases I have all the rest of the US games. That should be a good enuf answer.

7. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I loved the original megaman on NES and gameboy. Tried getting into Megaman X on Snes but when they started doing Battle network, I lost interest. I did get the mega man collection for GameCube which is pretty cool.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    ZX is a pretty bad spot to jump in, plot-wise. it's the third series in an ongoing continuity.

Megaman X > Megaman Zero > Megaman ZX

9. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

You haven't played any of the most recent games at all, have you? Not that your statement was ever really true in the first place.

10. 1UpCheatachu

1UpCheatachu Lemony Fresh TFW2005 Supporter

ZX is a fun game. I wish they would make more Megaman Classic games.

11. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I hope they will at some point, but I think it's good that the classic series has had a rest for awhile. The 8th one was a good high point to stop on (not counting side-games like Power Fighters and Rockman & Forte). When Keiji Inafune feels like it and there are enough new ideas for bosses and weapons, then maybe it will be time.

12. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Pfft, Megaman is just a cheap knockoff of Astro Boy. Osamu Tezuka is spinning in his grave.

This is a terrible joke.

13. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thus far, I've played a bit of 7 and 8 (never finished either, though), X1-6, Zero 1-3 and playing 4, all 6 Battle Network games, and most of Legends 1.

The series has had its ups and downs, but even at its low points, still remains a remarkably solid gameplay experience. After playing the X series, though, I can't say I'm particularly inclined to play much of the classic series. The older games just feel clunky to me after the more varied platforming that the X and Zero series provide with the addition of dashing and wall-jumping. Although, the extra upgrades and buster options in Megaman 8 did make that one a lot more interesting for me, I just never got around to finishing it (yet).

I absolutely adore the Zero series. Essentially taking the X series and overlaying a much darker story tone and an RPG-like sense for dramatic flare, it hits all sorts of storytelling high points (the final revelation at the end of Zero 1 was just... ouch :( ) while still retaining the relentless fast-paced action the series is known for. And I absolutely love the art style in this (as well as ZX). Although the rather young and vaguely feminine designs for the humanoid Reploids takes a little getting used to, it's sleek and stylish, and the boss design kicks all sorts of hiney. Great music, too (especially if you check out IntiCreates' remastered soundtracks).

14. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Um, no. While the games have similar plots, events play out differently in between games and new stuff has been introduced in each game. Some examples:

MM1: 6 bosses, each one give you a weapon that works very well on another boss.

MM2: 8 bosses, energy tanks, the three items that help you progress, only one of which would be often recycled albeit in a different form.

MM3: First deception by Wily. The slide and Rush introduced, fight the MM2 bosses again.

MM4: Tools you could use hidden in two levels. Much better version of the time stopper from MM2.

For the X series:

X1: Armor upgrade system. Dash ability Robot main villain for the first time. Ride armors introduced.

X2: Upgrades work differently. Air dash introduced. Ride chasers introduced.

X3: Partial playability of Zero. Upgrades can be upgraded.

15. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I wish they would have released the X collection on Xbox. I've got the MM 20th An disc, and I love it.

16. wolfnfox

wolfnfox Well-Known Member

Ya the Classic series is the best incarnation of Mega Man. All the other versions either strayed too far or just went overkill (IE: Two or Three version of the same game released at once) and so on.

17. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Mega Man 2 and 3 are my bag. Loved those games to death.

18. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Loved the Classic series, enjoyed the X games too, Zero kicks major tail and not played ZX. Legends is great, I wish we could get a third one to finish up the story (the whole "ancient system is awakening" thing at the end of the second got me intrigued)

I'm also hoping to find out what happens between ZX and Legends. The Zero series has some very Reaverbot looking things kicking around, so I'm guessing we're going to see the link probably by the end of the ZX series. I'm betting on one or both of the icecaps being blown up / melted, since Legends is "a world covered by endless water".

Gameplay wise, each title does stick with a central formula, but there are tweaks and innovations in each title. Capcom never recycled things wholesale on the Megaman series, in my opinion. They always came up with something new, at least as much as Pokemon ever did.

19. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    To be more complete, it's Megaman > Megaman X > Megaman Zero > Megaman ZX > Megaman Legends.

Originally, Legends was supposed to be completely separate, but they decided to make it part of the regular MM universe. I believe it's something like 100,000 years after X.

Also, ZX Advent is going to be awesome. It has one of the best unlockables ever. AX Mode. The A stands for Ancient. It's ZX:A in 8bit! XD

20. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

you totally forgot the greatest megaman upgrade/ invention in megaman 4

THE MEGA BUSTER!!!!

also the upgrades and secrets from one game to the next are almost too numerous to list. I mean you can beat megaman x3 without even knowing there are mechs to be found and used in each level.

Pokemon ftl, new monsters pssshhh

this series owns my soul and always will. Up to the handhelds, i only got zero1 and battle network 1.... i followed this religiously.

anyone who doesnt have legends 2, needs to go out and buy it now. Its an amazing game, definitely my favorite story wise.