Megadeth's United Abominations review

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hook, May 15, 2007.

1. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    As with every Tuesday, new releases hit store shelves. This week, I got my hands on Megadeth's latest album, United Abominations.

Maybe I am too subjective in my review, but this is an album that I liked from the first listen. Some albums take time to appreciate, but this one is awesome from start to finish. Not only does it has a very political vibe to it, but the artwork on the CD cover reminds me a lot of the Peace Sells... But who's buying album, with the UN building in the background.

Originally intended as a B-side for Japan, Mustaine included a remake of "A tout le monde", with special guest, Lacuna Coil's Christina Scabbia.

I can say with assurance that this album is Dave Mustaine's finest work in many years. A worthy successor to Rust in Peace and Countdown to Extinction!

A must in every metal head's music library!

2. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Is "A tout le Monde" a redo or a sequel like Metallica's Unforgiven 2?

I used to listen to Megadeth a lot. When Risk came out it was too far from what they had done in the past and couldn't get into it. What album would you compare the sound and stlye to the most?

3. polymorphic

polymorphic Bumblebee tuna!

Megadeth has always been political. I'll have to check this one out if it's on par with 'Rust' and 'Extinction'. Thanks for the review.

4. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My last Megadeth album was Youthanasia, after that I kinda lost interest.

It's sad because Countdown to Extinction was my favorite of theirs, and nothing after that seemed even remotely comparable.

5. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:

Rust in Peace and Countdown were their high point IMO. The albums before had a few good songs and few stinkers typically. Their sound and consistancy were the best on those two albums. Cryptic writings had a few good songs but Risk was crap.

6. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't believe I didn't mention Rust in Peace, that was the album that got me into Megadeth to begin with. I would have to agree with you on that first point.

7. Mega-Prime

Mega-Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

You owe it to yourself to listen to this album,

Trust me, I've been listening to it non-stop for the past 3 weeks & it is deffinately the shit... Megadeth is back!

I'm just itching to get out of here, (work), so I can head over to HMV & get the CD.

New A Tout Le Monde vid: http://youtube.com/watch?v=FhAdjEvyWEk

8. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a great album, definitely a return to form....and I thought The System has failed was the best thing they had done in a long time, and this one tops that.

I don't really care for the A Tout Le Monde redo, just because I personally don't care for the Lacuna Coil chick and it feel uncessesary to have a duet there. I just prefer the original more. I've listened to it so many times in my life, I don't need a "new version" to listen to. But it's fine if you think of it just like a B-side (which it was supposed to be) and not the 1st single on the album (which is what the record company turned it in to, despite the fact that it was a single on Youthanasia).

I'm also not as keen on Gears of War, because it just seems like he wrote the song and Microsoft came knockin and said "here's money....change the lyrics to fit our new game", as the "Gears of War" interspersed with the main riff just seems tacked on.

But 2 songs out of the entire album is pretty damn good. Songs like Sleepwalker, United Abominations, and Washington is Next are freaking amazing. For the record, I have enjoyed all of Megadeth's albums with the exception of Risk (although Prince of Darkness on that album wasnt bad), but I can definitely tell which ones are the weaker ones, and this is one of the stronger ones.

9. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

It a redo.

I really like the album. I'm actually listening to it right now. I really like the cover for it too.
    [​IMG]

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Nice cover art.

11. Hook

Facebook:
    the CD sleeve is full of amazing art. I'm blown away by this album so far, both musically and visualy

12. Mega-Prime

Mega-Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    07 - Play for blood is an awesome tune too,

Good for cranking in the car & speeding. :D  :rock :rock :rock 

13. Hook

Facebook:
    I've scanned the album art for you all to enjoy. Have a look at these Metal works of art! It takes me back to the glory days of my teenage years, that's for sure ^_^

Front:
    [​IMG]

Back:
    [​IMG]

Inside:
    [​IMG]

Centerfold. Reminds me of Iron Maiden's Somewhere in time, with the bandmembers in the artwork itself:
    [​IMG]

14. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    WTF?? Vic with skin? Weird. But some cool album art.

15. Hook

Facebook:
    Yeah. the vic with skin concept was a Deviant Art/Dave Mustaine contest last year to revamp vic and give him a fresh new look. The winner got his art shown in the album - which is why Vic has skin.

For those not in the know, Vic's ear plugs, eye visor and hooks in mouth are Dave Mustaine's interpretation of "Hear/see/speak no evil" and eventually gave way to Megadeth's mascot.