Non-TF: MegaBlok GI Joe Customs

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by mwm, Nov 21, 2016.

1. mwm

mwm Well-Known Member

I collect Transformers and GI Joe, as well as things that fit in with either collection. I love the MegaBloks figures scale; it puts them close to Masterpiece TF size, so I can add some humans to my MP dios. However, they're mostly generic. I decided to tackle customs of GI Joe figures in the MB scale. I'd made some customs before, just making characters as I found parts that fit the characters. But now, I've changed my approach. I'm going to customize GI Joe characters chronologically, starting with 1982. There are a couple caveats: if a character had multiple releases, I'm not going to make each one. I'm going to go with the one that I liked the best. Some will be the character as I would have made him. However, they'll be displayed with the other characters from their first year of release. Some of the figures have a lot of customizing done to them, while others are all just parts-swapping, without even a drop of paint added. I'll be doing all the Joes first, then go back and do the Cobras. I will also be adding Action Force characters (I've already made Skeletrons) but am not sure how they'll work into my universe.

For now, here is the class of 1982:
    [​IMG]
    Rock n Roll (v2 inspired. Hair sculpted on and painted, rest of figure is factory), Breaker (figure is factory with headset crafted onto helmet), Clutch (factory with parts swapping)

[​IMG]
    Clutch (again), Grunt (in back, all factory), General Hawk (factory with holster and strap fashioned from clear elastic band painted black and glued on)

[​IMG]
    Steeler (factory with parts swapping, range finder crafted and glued to helmet), Snake-Eyes (factory with painted head and parts swapping), Stalker (TMNT Casey Jones head sculpted to look like v2 mask, painted to look like v2 character, body is factory), Scarlett (painted head to toe, 'white' is actually light tan. figure is a place holder until articulated females are available), Short Fuze (factory with glasses crafted by dropping/smoothing glue on his face then painting them)

[​IMG]
    Better shot of Short Fuse, Grand Slam (silver pads version. Factory with painted padding and visor crafted from clamshell packaging glued to helmet), Flash (Factory with pads painted red and visor crafted from clamshell packaging glued to helmet. Backpack made by cutting down a gun with 3mm handle, thread glued to backpack and gun to give the cabled appearance), Zap (factory with 'pencil' mustache painted on)

[​IMG]
    Overhead view to better show Stalker, Grand Slam, and Flash

[​IMG]
    Overhead to better show Breaker's helmet, shot of Grunt.

One thing I noticed in the pics, especially on RnR's torso and Grunt's face -- These figures are made from a plastic that gets a filmy appearance over time. It's easily wiped off but isn't always noticeable when looking at them. It certainly stands out in pictures, though.

GH.jpg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

Soooo awesome!
    I really want to see the commander :) 

3. mwm

mwm Well-Known Member

I actually already had CC and a couple others done from earlier customs:
    [​IMG]

4. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Cool! Great work!

5. mwm

mwm Well-Known Member

Only got one figure done today. Presenting Gung-Ho. TMNT Bebop upper body and CoD lower body.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Nice work, I did a bunch of these too.

7. mwm

mwm Well-Known Member

Thanks. Any pics of your work?

8. jaraxel

jaraxel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  9. mwm

mwm Well-Known Member

Thanks! And thanks for linking to Nacho's thread; I somehow missed it, so it was good seeing his work.

I found some pics of other MB customs I'd done in the past, so thought I'd link them up here, too (sorry they're kind of blurry, they were taken when I was just learning the camera on my phone):

3D printed FANG, scaled to MB size (not my design, found online):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MB Action Force Red Shadow's Skeletrons:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MB MOTU Whiplash (when I saw this TMNT figure, I just knew I had to make this character from it. The tail is posable):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. mwm

mwm Well-Known Member

Class of '83. I took a couple of cues from Nacho and his MB Joes on a couple of these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And some close-ups:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. mwm

mwm Well-Known Member

Class of '84 is done:
    Link to pics from front back, and sides
    Pics of front views:

[​IMG]
    Cutter, Deep Six, Thunder -- I'm not happy with Deep Six's helmet, but it was the best I could come up with. I may revisit it later. Thunder is pretty much just a parts swap

[​IMG]
    Duke, Spirit, Ripcord, Mutt -- Duke is pretty much parts swap. I still need to find an eagle for Freedom and a ~1:36 Rottweiler for Junkyard.

[​IMG]
    Recondo, Roadblock, Blowtorch -- Recondo was straight out of the package, with paint apps for camo and sleeve insignia, as well as face painted and boonie modded to look more like his iconic hat. Roadblock is a TMNT Bebop with CoD legs and Assassin's Creed head, machine gun and backpack are from a knock-off Lego set, his straps ride a bit high; I need to trim the back strap so they'll sit lower on him. Blowtorch was a lot of sculpting.

Back view of Recondo, Roadblock, Blowtorch:
    [​IMG]
    Including this because Blowtorch's backpack is completely scratch-built. It's not an exact duplicate of his original, but it's close.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mwm

mwm Well-Known Member

Finished up the Class of '85:

Keel Haul
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Airtight:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]