Non-TF: Mega Man X Follow-Along

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Altitron, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    Up front, I want this thread to be treated as a pseudo-tutorial for customizing and kitbashing beginners. I would like it to be highly interactive. I will do my best to answer any questions that you may have along the way.

Story time: I've owned a baggie of Mega Man X figure parts for a few years now. I don't even recall how I came into owning them, because I've had them for so long. In any event, originally acquiring them inspired me to start building the bosses from the video games to go along with the protagonist, since it looks like we'll never see them in figure form.

While I was recently working on one such project, it struck me that I hadn't really even attempting at assembling those parts together into an X figure. Needless to say, my curiosity got the better of me, and I was delighted to discover that not only did I have a complete X figure, but I also had a compete (albeit 'calico') Zero figure as well. *Zero will get his own thread in the future.*

[​IMG]

The first thing I like to do with my figures is to disassemble them as much as I can without using any hardware. That means popping arms and heads off of ball joints - things like that. Much to the chagrin of my wife, I like to fill up a sink with an 5:1 mixture of scalding hot water and various chemicals - nail polish remover, Goo Gone, and rubbing alcohol. Be careful not to over do it with the chemicals! You may end up just ruining your figure and melting the plastic. Opaques are especially susceptible to this.

[​IMG]

Why do this? This process will help clean your figure of any mold release (a chemical toy companies use to 'release' the casted plastic parts from the mold), dirt, and oil residue (i.e. from your hands). If you have access to an ultrasonic sink, I highly recommend using that instead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I usually let the parts sit for 20-30 minutes, stirring them about occasionally. I like to let the figures sit and dry for about an hour or so. This process readies the figure for priming.

There are a great many ways to go about priming your figure. Some people use gantries, clip holders, or small spray booths. What I do is an arrangement borne out of having a garage, children, and typically cold weather. I evenly space out my pieces on a cloth to cover the garage floor. Alternatively, a block of styrene, pencils, rubber bands, and document clips work great together as a home-made setup.

Spray your figure parts with a can of primer from a foot or so away. Make sure to do even passes. Begin spraying from the can before you reach the figures, and continue until you fully pass all of the parts you wish to spray. This will help ensure an even coat. Remember to do many light coats, vice one or two heavy passes. With painting, as in life, patience is a virtue. Try your best to do it right the first time, and you will save yourself hours of rework.

[​IMG]

Allow the primer to cure overnight. Also, be sure to rotate your parts later, and paint the other side. The end result should resemble something similar to this:

[​IMG]

As for the primer itself, I like to use one of the two following paints almost exclusively: Krylon BBQ and Stove, or Krylon Camouflage Ultra Flat Black.

X will require a little bit of touch up, due to some seam issues with the armor, and holes drilled into him to allow for add-ons that I don't intend to utilize. We'll go over that in the near-future.

Cheers!

- Alty

Attached Files:

• Megaman3MHX.jpg
      Megaman3MHX.jpg
      File size:
      160.5 KB
      Views:
    • HT1.jpg
      HT1.jpg
      File size:
      322.1 KB
      Views:
    • HT2.jpg
      HT2.jpg
      File size:
      194.8 KB
      Views:
    • HT3.jpg
      HT3.jpg
      File size:
      273.1 KB
      Views:
    • HT4.jpg
      HT4.jpg
      File size:
      222.2 KB
      Views:
    • HT5.jpg
      HT5.jpg
      File size:
      337.8 KB
      Views:
    • XZ1.jpg
      XZ1.jpg
      File size:
      399.2 KB
      Views:
  2. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    So much fun reading through this :D  thnx for taking the timing on the account of every1 i guess :p  you know what I'll even let my GF read this, cuz next weekend were gonna work on a collaboration project and it's always nice if she can do some upfront research...

I love Megaman sooooo much.. I remember the RPG on the Playstation (or was it xbx / gc?)

3. CankleBreaker

CankleBreaker Robot

I think you got those figures from me looong ago! :D 

4. Altitron

Ebay:
    Oh, sweet. Thanks! Ha ha. :) 

- Alty

5. Altitron

Ebay:
    I'm sort of at an impasse with this figure. He's got the cannon arm from X3, and a different helmet from the standard loadout (looks to be also be from X3)... I'm not sure I want to bash him into full X3 glory, or just bash a new cannon arm so that he's an upgrade-less X. Any ideas? Votes? Preferences? :) 

- Alty

6. Crazy Ninjaman

Crazy Ninjaman TF fan since 1993

I'd say go with full X3 glory:thumb