Mega-Dinothoughts?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by LCDR Blindside, Jun 22, 2012.

1. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    So, I was reading on the Wiki the other day about Energon Grimlock and Swoop. I've never heard a word from the fandom on these toys. What's the general consensus? Do you like them? Do you like Mega-Dinibot? Was Grimlock a repurposed G1 Grimlock before the Classics and Masterpiece came along?

2. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    As far as I know, the quality (and appearance) of those toys was seen as sub-par and the pair are generally dismissed. I'm sure someone used them as a Classics stand-in, but I doubt many did.

3. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked them. Grimlock was very cool but the gimmick was weak.

4. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i read a few reviews on them and they were seen as kind of shoddy and mega-dinobot's official combined form was turdy. like girl pants said not a lot of people used them as classics.

5. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Grimlock looked awful. Just terrible.

Swoop was kinda cool. Unusual deco, but still good looking. That said, he's also completely unarmed with kinda bugs me.

Combined mode is just... random. Seems more unnecessary than the Spider-Man/Iron Man combiner, and that was basically an Spidey wearing Iron Man as a hat.

6. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I like them. Not stellar but, not bad either. I think Grimlock looks like a cartoonish g1 character.

7. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I owned them briefly. I did not care for them. The combined mode was especially awful IMO. If you decide you want them, I would not recomend paying or trading very much for them.

8. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I really wanted them, to complete my dinobots. I got them. I hated the transformations. They fit absolutely nowhere in my collection. I sold them. = Profit. Can't be too bad really.
    It didn't feel right, no wonder the Japanese never released them. Didn't Hasbro want to make that a G1 re-invention of Grimlock? And then it got shoe-horned into Energon?

Yeah, from the wiki: The Grimlock/Swoop set was originally intended to be released in the Universe line, as the original Generation 1 incarnations. However, a variety of factors shuffled the set into Energon and new-character-dom.

9. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    don't these guys go for crazy prices on the aftermarket?

10. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmm, not seen them before. They look great. What's the beef??

11. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Never saw them in stores and the Energon combining gimmick didn't work for me. I don't know why so many people want the Dinobots to combine. I rather like the fact that they're one of the few sub-groups that don't combine to form a giant robot.

12. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I wish they should made a Energon others Dinobots. :( 

13. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

Used to have them and fortunately managed to sell them with profit.

Grimlock was kind of okay in dinomode. Personally, E Grimlock is a better in dinomode than Animated Grimlock. Nicely detailed and mostly okay. Not great, but mostly okay. The robotmode had some improvements over the G1 version (like heels), but underwhelming is an understatement. Too small, too fidgety, unarmed, bland colors and the robot sacrificed too much for the combinermode.

Swoop was an interesting concept, but failed in every concept. The dinomode was unrealistic: small wings, huge backpack, a beak with a big hole through it, and feet that didn't want to hold. Swoops robotmode was better and easily the best part of the set. But he seriouly lacked hands. Also, his torse didn't want to stay locked in, his arms didn't lock in at all and his feet were tiny. (I always used the combiner feet for swoop.)

The combiner mode is...horrible. Easily the worst combinermode from Energon -- and that's from a line with all kind of weird combinations. There really isn't anything positive to say about it.

Apparently they were kind of shortpacked and were hard to get. This, in combination with being popular characters, meant that they go for way too much nowadays. Retail was already too much for these two figures.

14. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    Have to admit, I actually like them. :eek:  They don't really fit in the Energon line, so mine are kept with the (intended) Universe collection - they seem to gel better next the some of the retro molds in the line.

Grimlock's got quite a G1 vibe about him & is definitely the best of the two overall. Swoop is alright...and the combined mode isn't the worst thing i've ever seen (moving swiftly on...).

The trick with them is to work out the intended transformations for yourself, and ignore the instructions completely. Forget they even exist.

EDIT: If anyone wants a nice waffling written review of these two, here's one I made last year: ENERGON GRIMLOCK & SWOOP REVIEW

15. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    Granted Energon Grimlock and I guess somewhat Swoop are not the best looking versions but I will say they are leagues ahead of some like Animated Grimmy,that thing was like a turd-on-a-stick compared to his Energon counterpart. To me A. Grimlock is the worst as his lower dino jaw reminds me of Jay Leno,he has a massive chin just like that.

I also don't like A. Grimlocks color,too dark grey and brown instead of like his G1 self in polished chrome and gold.I was also gonna say Classics Grimlock but he is pretty nice once you get use to him.Finally I gotta mention my second least fave version of him is RID Grimlock,that monstrosity had absolutely zero resemblance to G1 and a total letdown to the name Grimlock.Oh and if you plan on getting Energon Grimmy and Swoop like others have said do not combine them as they look horrid in combined mode.

16. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

like many said, individually they're not bad for the era, but too many negatives to keep them from staying in my collection. ugly color schemes, shoddy plastic compared to other energon toys, wtfbbq combined mode (they should've design swoop to be the top bot), no weapons, fist holes not compatible with other energon weapons even if you have some to spare.

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    At the time, Grimlock and Swoop indivudually were really cool. Now looking at them they're pretty terrible. The combination was obviously an afterthought so it's pretty subpar. Rumor had it that they were supposedly the first new mold releases for the first Universe toyline but got shoehorned into Energon instead, hence the combining gimmick being needed. I honestly can't remember if that rumor was proven or disproven since it was nearly 10 years ago.

18. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    I wrote a review of them some years ago, when Energon was starting to wrap up:
    Grimlock and Swoop - Transformers Energon - TFW2005

Basically, there were compelling back when we didn't get G1 love every year. But both have been quickly outpaced by Alternators, Classics, Titanium, Animated or Masterpiece. On their own merits, I don't view them worth the aftermarket prices (they were pretty darn rare, like their wavemate Beachcomber) with better options available.

19. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

lol just checked price on ebay, the set is now $65+, definitely not worth that much. even couple years back when it was still 'rare' i paid less than $30 for used set.