mega class

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cyko-Destructo, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Cyko-Destructo

Cyko-Destructo Rock-Lord

ok so weeks back i asked what size class beast machines tankor was, i was soon informed that he was mega class, the class that stands between deluxe and voyager, now.. my next question is aside from beast machines tankor what other mega class figs exist? as far as i know he (and his repaint are the only mega cass tfs in my collection, a problem i hope to soon remedy

2. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    The mega size class was really only utilised in the Beast Wars/Beast Machines era. The RID trains were in Mega-sized boxes but I'm not sure if they were truly megas since they were priced lower (everything in RID was priced lower than the standard prices though like the duluxes were around 7.99 rather than 9.99 that was the norm).

The ones I remember from Beast Wars are Optimus priomal (TM), Inferno, Cybershark (TM2). The ones from Beasts Machines are Megatron, Cheetor, Rattrap, Tankor. Not a definitive list I know.

3. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I think RiD Megatron was a mega class.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    beast wars megas:

scorponok, polar claw, b'boom, transquito, inferno, transmetal optimus prime, transmetal megatron, transmetal scavenger, transmetal 2 cybershark, transmetal 2 blackarachnia.

dunno about beast machines. I stayed away from the line.

5. Cyko-Destructo

Cyko-Destructo Rock-Lord

so pretty much aside from tanky they are all beastformers? lame..

6. -Wreckage-

-Wreckage- I'm Not An Architect

News Credits:
    Who hadn't?

7. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the Armada Max-con figures were mega figures, just with the size class renamed right?

I've always considered voyagers to just be Megas in my eyes. Is there really a big difference?

8. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    Voyagers are what used to be called Megas. Megas were used up into the RID line. After that, they increased the size and price of everything Mega and up. Mega became Max-con and increased in price to $20 from $15. Ultra became Ultra-con and increased from $20 to $25-$30 (depending on the store). And Super became Super Base, increasing from $30 to $40. Supremes increased from $40 to $50. Then they changed the names again for Energon (to Voyager, Ultra and Leader) and it's been pretty much unchanged since then.

Megas during Beast Machines were Cheetor, Tankor, Megatron, Rattrap and Blast Punch Optimus Primal.

In RID, they were Sky-byte, the Predacons (3-pack including Gas Skunk, Slapper and Darkscream), Railspike, Midnight Express, Rapid Run, Autobot 3-pack (Mirage GT, Scavenger and Nightcruz) and I think the Axer and Sideways 2-pack was a Mega as well, albeit a Wal-mart exclusive. The box was the same size, at least.

9. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some other Mega class figures from the Beast-era:

BW

Inferno
    B'Boom
    Transquito
    Scorponok
    Polar Claw
    Transmetal Optimus Primal
    Transmetal Megatron
    Transmetal Scavenger
    Transmetal II Blackarachnia
    Transmetal II Cybershark

BM

Dragon Megatron
    Rattrap
    Optimus Primal (one version)

Probably some others that I'm forgetting about as well in there.

10. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Close but not quite. Energon actually made up its own set of names, in the same vein as Armada, but not quite as stupid. Specifically, Energon, Combat, Mega, Command, Leader, and Supreme. The names are little-known and only really used in the product catalogs. Cybertron was where the current system was solidified, with Scout, Deluxe, Voyager and Ultra added.

11. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    Thanks for correcting me. I was pretty sure I was wrong, but for the life of me couldn't remember the size class names. Back then I was still referring to everything by the old BW/BM/RID size classes so I didn't pay attention to them. I just remember the names being idiotic. They're still stupid nowadays, but at least they've been consistent for the past few years.

12. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed. And we miss you in sightings, hell, I think there's actually one more Transfan from Cruces posting in there now!

Anyway, maybe its because I sold my BW and my BM toys (the latter, happily) I didn't notice the size increase, but now that its mentioned, I do notice the price increase. Personally, I still prefer Mega and Basic to Scout and Voyager.

13. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

FF:
    No love lost on BM, I see. :)  I'll grant you the BM Maximals, or a lot of 'em, but the Vehicons were cool!

A weirdly tangential thing here is that the Crossovers are roughly equivalent to BM Megas in both size and pricepoint, being between typical DX and VG in both, although they don't use any size-class name.

14. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Wanted to make a point about these 2 phrases. Yes, the size and price of the Mega assortment increased to become the Max-con assortment(electronics were also added). So while Max-cons replaced Megas, they are not truly comparable in terms of price and size. However with sizes seemingly being reduced a bit and electronics eliminated, current day voyagers probably are approaching a more comparable size/cost to Beast-era Megas.

Other pseudo-Megas not mentioned: MW Sandstorm & Soundwave (repainted/remolded from Turbomaster Rotorstorm and Predator Stalker) were in slightly elongated BW Mega boxes. They were KB exclusives so their pricepoint was a bit dubious. They were tagged at something like $14.99 or $15.99 but with KB's immediate "clearance" price marked down to $9.99, iirc.

They showed up again in U1 as Whirl and Soundwave (remolded/repainted) packed with 2 minicons or a cyberjet respectively as $20 "Ultras", similar to U1 Tankor packed with Obsidian. So they could be called Megas.

U1 Overbite was also packaged as an Ultra with a former basic figure(Repugnus--BW Buzzclaw repaint), though their Target exclusive price was $16.99. The cyborg beasts were remolded from deluxes with additional missile launchers so they were sold at a higher price than Japan's deluxes. They probably cost somewhere between a deluxe and a mega.

For however much you want to consider them, Animorphs also had some mega figures: 2 of the transforming aliens and 1 kid that transformed into a bird.