Mega Blocks- Dragons Universe Figures

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by boxorak, Sep 9, 2010.

1. boxorak

boxorak Lacking Shelf Space

Don't know if anyone's seen these in stores, but since everyone's making threads of Mega blocks's products around, why not this one?

For anyone who doesn't know, remember, or care ( :D  ), Dragons Universe is the latest incarnation of the Dragons line of sets. Strangely, the formula has been changed; instead of some variation of your basic swords-and-sworcery medieval world, with orcs, elves, and the like, Universe is supposedly set in the future; knights become soldiers, swords are replaced with futuristic guns, the humans ride vehicles, and dragons have TURRETS strapped on their backs. AWESOME.

The story is very basic and reminiscent of the Halo Wars line; Humans (or whatever) are good, dragons are evil, humans fight dragons, dragon-mounted guns. Very simple (I think).

Currently, I only have one set, consisting of one small dragon, named Bladewing, a minifig, Captain Decimus, and one very futuristic jet vehicle, the "Rapid-Fire Dragon Fighter", or "Hawk", as the back of the box says.
    [​IMG]
    Both the dragon and Decimus are very good figures. As standard of these little guys, Decimus has 12 points of articulation (neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists, legs, and knees). He comes with a shield and a very futuristic and overcompensatory minigun, which is actually made of a base and three translucent gun barrels. Both of them can fit in the hole on his back, freeing up a hand.
    [​IMG]
    alternatively, he can fit both.
    [​IMG]
    The Dragons Universe soldier mold is very articulate, but he's short and the shoulder pads get in the way. still, he's a good figure.

The dragon has seven points of articulation, eight if you count his gun-arms, legs, tail, head, and jaw. He's a little futuristic, having a large blue gem in his chest and the DRAGON-MOUNTED TURRET ON HIS BACK. Sadly, he's not very articulate, but very poseable;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (insert flame effects here XP )

The ship itself is also cool; it's futuristic, having two large chain guns, two engines with orbs and spinny....things, and an underside-mounted weapon that actually fires.
    [​IMG]
    The ship has a play gimmick; those "legs"? They can actually be squeezed together to form a "controller" for this little fightercraft, allowing you to play with the thing AND fire the underside mounted launcher.....unfortunately, one of the first steps in building this thing is to snap on a piece in between the legs, killing the gimmick. Fortunately, this piece CAN be removed.

All in all, the set is pretty good; granted, it doesn't come with the excuse of being merchandise for something like the Iron Man and Halo figures do, but really, when has that been a problem?

Unfortunately, the figures don't come in a special battle pack like the Halo guys, but they do come in smaller sets that contain either a dragon (There's also larger versions of the dragons with projectile launchers) or one of the soldiers on a speeder. Alternatively, do what I did and get one of the bigger packs, which come with bigger toys for the soldiers AND a dragon for them to fight.

Also, DRAGON MOUNTED TURRETS. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  2. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I have some of the old Dragons sets when their figures were still kind of modified lego men.

I think these new guys are kind of like Warhammer 50K, where alot of the same forces are there just in space now and more hightech.

And I am sorry you Lego fans, but these figures are just better,can you imagine if mega got all the brands lego had as well, armies of articulated gun toting weapon stored on back w removable helmet Stormtroopers.

Articulated Indiana Jones with whip or gun storage.

The possibilities are endless.

• Like Like x 1
  3. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

i actually really like this direction mega bloks is going. i like seeing bold moves, and this is definitely a bold move. you don't see very many attempts into properties that don't already have existing foundations. i understand dragons has been around for quite some time, but this futuristic look is.....COOL! i like it a lot, and ill admit im already somewhat of a mega bloks collector because i bought the Pirates of the Carribean Empress ship online last month. This dragons line, combined with their halo stuff is gonna suck me iN!

4. Goatboy

Goatboy Well-Known Member

Got a few of these the other week from my local Tesco. As with the Halo line the mini fig is great. But the Dragons(I got one of the small ones and one of the large) and the humans jetbike just feels and looks cheap imo. Not a patch on the Halo stuff.

5. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I've been wondering about these figures for a little while. They look okay (I'm quite a dragon fan) but I'm not sure if I want to spend the money on yet another line. The little one named Fleshtear caught my eye in the store and I almost bought it, but passed since I just didn't know much about the series.

6. boxorak

boxorak Lacking Shelf Space

Got a new set: the "Eagle" one of the smaller sets.
    [​IMG]
    The ship itself is ok, but under-detailed compared to the Hawk.
    The figure is, of course, awesome, with a kickaft futuristic rifle.
    [​IMG]
    Now that we got that out of the way, here's a little tidbit: the humans are apparently all Roman, as they've all got roman names; Along with Decimus, there's Titus, Cato, Marcus Aurelius [sic], Maximilian Augustus-heck, even this guy (a MOOK, btw) has the name Brutus. With all of this, I'm looking forward to future figures by the names Arthur Pendragon, Nero Augustus, and Julius Caesar, just to make the necessary Shakespeare jokes and Fate Stay Night references.

Until then, I have to settle with these;
    [​IMG]
    "Et tu, Brute?"

[​IMG]
    "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!?"

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    You know, I never really paid any attention to the Dragons Universe toys until I read this thread. I like the Iron Man and Halo MegaBlocks toys (specifically the figures) so I decided to grab a small DU set today to get a feel for it. I opted for the Falcon speeder set because I liked the accessories (shield and gun) the best. The figure itself has a great sort of ‘space knight’ design that I really love, mostly silverish gray with a blue visor and some painted logos on his shoulders. He looks great holding the gun and shield and he looks equally great holding Halo weapons. I also gave him Link’s sword from a Wind Waker gashapon figure I have – he holds it perfectly and since he looks like a knight the sword naturally looks good with him.

The Falcon speeder I wasn’t expecting to really care about one way or the other, but after assembling it I have to say I really dig it. The plastic quality is great and all of the pieces fit very tightly together. Once it’s assembled there are no exposed studs and so many sculpted parts that it looks like a little toy rather than a brick sculpture.

With the articulated figure, the accessories, the vehicle and the big plastic pod container for only $6.99 this is one of the most incredible values on the toy shelves right now. Compare that to a single Star Wars or Iron Man figure which generally cost more (albeit due to licensing). I don’t think I’ll buy any of the large vehicles from this line, but I’ll definitely be checking out a few of the dragon figures. Those look incredibly cool.

8. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not interested in the ships, they are very nice, but if they did a smal figure pack like the Halo guys I would more than likely splurge for it.

9. 100% Mackem

100% Mackem Banned

I picked up the "Blackheart" Dragon a couple of days ago, it's not a bad figure. The scale and detail are pretty nice and it looks good displayed next to it's egg. I'll probably get a few more of the Dragons.

10. shizen22

shizen22 Subaru's drill punch

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

I got a Dragon Universe Deluxe Dual-Blast Dragon Hunter set since it was on clearance at Target. Comes with 1 ship, 1 dragon, and 2 mini-figs.

[​IMG]

Semi-translucent blue makes the dragon look NICE.

[​IMG]

The ship itself is awesome as well. The light and sounds gimmick are very nicely implemented. I have a mini-review video up that shows the light and sounds, it starts around the 2:30 mark.

[​IMG]

The mini-figs. They each come with the same gun and shields. One of the guns attach to the ship.

[​IMG]

You can find more pics and a more detailed review on my review page.