Meeting other Trans Fans!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Movie PRIME, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Movie PRIME

Movie PRIME Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok so when I was a kid back in the 80s I had lots of friends who Loved, collected Transformers. As I got older however it quickly became just me. Sure I had friends who liked them, and had there favorite one, but none that Loved them like I, and most of you do. So when I started collecting again back when the 2007 movie was announced I had no one I could really talk to about it, till I found you guys, and it was awesome!

With the info, and help I have gotten from you guys over the years I have been here, as well as the fact that I can just talk about Transformers with you, it has made collecting truly fun, and a hole lot easier! However I still had no one around where I live to share my Love of Transformers with. Sure my friend Dan went with me, and got a bunch of Transformers when RotF came out, but hes one of those geeks that geeks out about the current geeky thing, and not a real collector. He doesn't collect Transformers any more....at lest not till DotM comes out anyway. And my girl friend tries. Shes learning about it becuse it makes me happy, but shes not a fan herself. So Ive been left mostly on my own outside of cyber-space.

Then Friday I posted in the Texas Sightings Thread asking if anyone had seen a Kup in the Fort Worth Mid cities area. Later that day I got a PM from energonexpress telling me that he had an extra MOC Kup hed sell me at cost if I came by, and got it. He also told me that he was looking to start up a DFW Transformers Meet Up Group. Come to find out he only Lived about a mile down the rode from me. So after giving him my number, and working out a time I went by his house.

When I got there I rang the door bell bell, and waited. After about a minute had passed I tried to knock on the door, but found his screen was locked then as I was about to give up he came out from around the back with my Kup.

We talked for a minute, and exchange money, and Kup. It looked like that was going to be it, and I must admit that I was a little sad that my first meeting with a Trans Fan as an adult would be so awkward, and go by so fast. But then he said something about his sells Thread, and I asked him what all he had for sell. It was at this point that he invited me in. LoL.

We walked back to what I assume was his bed room where he had a bunch of Transformers just laying on his bed. None of which he was selling at that time. Oddly enough the only thing he didn't have packed away that he was selling was a Supreme Starscrem that I had no interest in.

It was truly a treat seeing what had out! I could see that I had some he didn't, and he had some I didn't, and more importantly some like his City Commander I had never seen before in person. But the best thing was talking to him. I could see right away this was a guy who understood my obsession with Living Transforming Alien Robots. When I talked to him he understood Timeline, characters, continuities, and the worth of the Toys. When he showed me a custom he was working on, and I told him it reminded me of Shattered Glass GoldBug, and he got it, and when I told him that the very same Friday he contacted me I had got Classic Prowl for $15 shipped you could see on his face that he understood just how crazy awesome of a deal it was. Best of all he told me about places in there area he hunts, and that he, and a friend of his will Keep a look out for what the other wants, and pick it up for them. Then he asked me to make a list of things I was looking for(Something I'm going to do after I get done here) and PM him with it. Lastly he told me that some times him and his friend will work out payment plans on the more expensive item they have with each other.

We where only there for about 15 to 20 minutes, but I left his house feeling like I now have an even stronger Allie in my hunt for Transformers! I hope he gets his meet up started, and that maybe in the future I can help him find a Transformer he is looking for. Meeting energonexpress really was the best part of my day!

Mostly I just wanted to share this, but what about rest of you? Do you have real Life Trans Fan friends? Have you ever meet a fellow Trans Fan in person? Do you want to? Do you find the idea odd?

2. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I have met a few in person and have talked to some others on the phone. The weird thing about it is the initial "people on the internet aren't real" part, and also realising that you probably had some strange idea of how they looked or how their voice sounds. And then it is totally different once you actually meet or talk to them. You end up realising they are real people and not internet people.

There are probably lots of other times you see other TF fans when you are out and about and have no idea. The same thing happens to me in the other "fandoms" I belong too. Its the same there too.

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    You guys should totally organize a local/regional meetup. We do that here in Minneapolis every other month or so. We've got an arrangement with an area restaurant to have lunch and bring in toys to sell each other. About a dozen or so usually show. It's a lot of fun!

4. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I don't have any real life friends who are fellow Transformers fans, but I have met a fellow TFW2005 board member in real life once -- Maximus Prime. We met up back in 2007; bought a couple of Transformers figures I've been looking for off of him. He's a real nice guy. Think he's trying to put together a Michigan fan get together sometime soon, and if so, I'm going to see about going.

5. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    I second what Fosterlager stated in his post!

Meet-Ups are a lot of fun and a great way to meet other Transformers fans and collectors.

Here in Los Angeles, we have had a local Meet-Up every other month since August of last year and each Meet-Up has been bigger and better than the Meet-Up prior!

Here's a link to our Los Angeles Meet-Ups for you to check out...

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...369669-los-angeles-meet-ups-l-collective.html

Since having our Los Angeles Meet-Ups... I have met over 40 local collectors, made some awesome friends that I really appreciate and also managed to pick up some cool toys!

My personal experience in meeting other Transformers fans has been nothing but positive and refreshing... In fact, I am so much more into the hobby now because of meeting other Transformers fans and now I have actual people that I am very happy to call my friends to share my interest with!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  6. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    When I worked for a retail store (whose name I will not mention here), I had a boss who was a fellow TF collector. I kind of got the job because somehow that topic came up in my job interview. He was a bit of a douche when he was on the clock, but we would regularly talk TFs at other times.

And another retail store I worked at, I had a couple co-workers who were big TF fans too, but they weren't collectors. One of them impulse-bought a bunch of Classics and Movie toys right before the 2007 movie came out, and I ended up getting them all in a cheap bulk purchase after his nostalgia kick wore off.

Locally, we have The Georgia Transformers Fans group (link in my sig line below). Group meetups are rare because we're scattered around the Atlanta area -- been like 3+ years since the last one, but I have met up with individual fans to do trades & sells, most of whom are also members of this site. And a few of us have met up at Dragon*Con too.

I just heard about the Joelanta group recently -- met some of them at a local con. They have weekly meetups and a lot of them are TF fans as well.

My younger brother (TFW member jon3pnt0) and I are lifelong TF fans, but since 1991 we've lived at least 8 hours away from each other. So we call and talk TFs like little fanboys periodically, and then go back to our regular lives. When we get a chance to visit, which unfortunately is like maybe once a year, it's like a TF trade party because we spend the year finding deals for each other. Good times. (Jon just featured my garage TF collection in a vlog on his YouTube channel from a recent visit.)

TF community is a great thing. Before the internet and away from my brother, I felt really isolated in my fandom. That's why I'm really glad to have TFW2005. I've been on a lot of other TF fan forums since the late 90s, but this is the one I stuck with. Good for news. Good for toy sightings. Good for sales/trades. Good for the discussion. Good for the fandom.

7. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Thats a great idea.

8. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Out here, I am...

[​IMG]

9. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Any TF fans in the Quincy IL area:inquisiti ?

10. Movie PRIME

Movie PRIME Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I'm hopping we get one started out here. Id Love to meet more Fans!

@ Curamen
    I never thought I would find a reason out side of getting CREAZY AWSOM job out there, that would make me miss the LA area. Congratulations! LoL.

11. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    I actually like being "Forever Alone" because every time I meet another fan, he asks me out. -.- Can I just be friends with you? Seriously?

I've yet to meet another girl who was interested in TFs.

12. CURAMEN

News Credits:
    Thanks man! :thumb 

The Meet-Ups are definitely good times and great people for sure!

Anytime you're in L.A. visiting please feel free to contact me. :) 

13. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

I would dig it if there where more Las Vegas fans, however. I met my friend CollectionTF (Chris) at school one day, because of a teacher, who to was into Transformers. =D

14. StarSaber79

StarSaber79 Banned

News Credits:
    I'm 14 and no one I know likes them. Only the movies. I was drawing a Metroplex picture in class and 2 people asked me if it was Optimus Prime(maybe off topic but still). I've never met another Transformers fan.

15. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Well I wouldnt ask you out, I'm too old to cheat on my wife.

16. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Ask here:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-sightings/85669-illinois-transformers-sightings.html

Dude, you're in Dallas. Surely there are enough TF fans around the city to get a meetup group started.

Then you haven't poked around the forums enough yet. We have quite a few female fans here: alphie, screamer, suzyprime, black oracle, SamiWCP...just to name a few.

Related thread from last August:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...9-there-any-transformers-female-fans-all.html

There's also a ladies-only social group on TFW:

The TFW2005 Ladies Group - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

17. energonexpress

energonexpress Powerheadtargetmaster

So do you have an online boyfriend yet?

I keed I keed. :D 

I can't imagine what horrors a female "nerd/geek" of any fandom goes through. Might make for a good documentary, lol.

I'm tired of the San Antonio guys doing all these meets that sound awesome. (thanks for the inspiration btw :thumbs2: ) It's time for DFW to get it's nerd on. Any other North Texas guys send me a PM, I'm getting a list together and trying to find what day will work best for everyone. And drag along your friends who are only halfway into it, we'll get 'em brainwashed good!

18. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    I've met three of my local transfans. Great people! Definitely makes me feel comfortable with connecting with local collectors.

My issue with fandoms is that a lot of the people are sometimes unbearable to me. I used to be big in the Anime fandom and Warhammer 40K until the people really turned me off to it. So I was a little wary about getting in TF and connecting with people due to my experiences, but my fellow local collectors are some of the best people out there!

19. CURAMEN

News Credits:
    There is the Vegas Transformers Club (VTC) and you should PM Fedorp4pbest for details in joining his group.

A few members of the VTC actually drove down to our L.A. Meet-Up in February and they're a bunch of cool dudes... One of them even turned out to be my cousin!

20. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I know how you feel. I used to avoid certain conventions for the same reason.

Now, I've just learned to avoid weird people. And before someone accuses me of stereotyping, trust me -- you just know these people when you see them. Like if there's a guy wearing a DBZ Gohan costume and he has a giant stain on his butt/crotch and doesn't seem bothered by it, you probably want to avoid that guy.

When I lived in Florida, I actually joined up with a local Star Trek club, in spite of the negative reputation/stereotype I'd heard about Trekkies/Trekkers.

As it turned out, they were surprisingly normal people and I became really good friends with some of them -- something I needed very much at the time because I was going through some heavy personal stuff.

There was still a few oddballs in the group, but I was quickly informed by other members which ones to avoid.

So far in TF fandom, I have yet to have a bad experience meeting other Transformers fans. They've all been interesting people that I wouldn't mind hanging out with.

Here's a pic from one such meetup with TFW member/customizer encline, who went with me to the premiere of ROTF (encline's wearing the custom Prime helmet):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Granted, I still haven't been to Botcon yet -- there's surely a few crazies that show up there... like this guy:

[​IMG]