Medicom Figures Opinion

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by LigerPrime, Dec 26, 2007.

1. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Guys, I'm thinking of picking up some medicom figures - the 12 inch Big Boss figure from MGS3 to be exact. Anyone here has him and is he worth it? In terms of details, articulation?

2. Redsneaker

Redsneaker Member

There were 3 releases. The one you spoke of is the most sought after version, and hardest to find. Probably due to its limited run and the popularity of the game and its fans. The 2nd release came notably with a croc head and 3rd release zombie facepaint.

Difference apart from the obvious was the head sculpt. Version 1 has no face paint and no eye patch. Ressemble the standard snake look that the artwork has since seem to standardised as how snake or big boss should look in his prime.

Version 2 has face paint and eye patch, and the croc headgear. Seems the obvious choice on paper to get, but the croc headgear seems like an afterthought, some have issues fitting it without breaking the bandana on the head. The camo face paint just doesn't look that that well if compared with the others.

Version 3, zombie facepaint was a convention exclusive. Has the same headscupt as Version 1 but the facepaint(cool for some) obscure too much of the face sculpt.

Articulation is standard medicom RAH 301 type, but with a special body frame that gives the figure a more game accurate look. Basically offers one of the best posability among 12 inch figures in the market.

Pricey and hard to find due to the popularity of the series and its influence. Even the 2nd and 3rd versions are getting hard to find or have went up in prices, when they used to be quite common place. Theres alot of MGS licensed merchandise out there, from low end fixed figure models to high end stuffs, where the Medicom RAH lies. If you can afford it and have a hookup, better act fast before the next game in the series comes out.

3. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info dude but I'm curious...how "limited" are the medicom action figures? Have any of medicom stuff ever been reissued?

4. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Not sure, but this version http://www.hlj.com/product/MEDRAH-228 was on sale for many months before it was discontinued.

Versions of MGS4 Raiden and Snake are up for pre-order, if you're interested.

5. Prime81

Prime81 Long-time Fan

Medicom figures are fairly limited, usually having production runs of around 1000. I have a few Medicom RAH figures and they're usually pretty hard to come by if the character is a popular one and can shoot up in value once they've been discontinued for a while.

6. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Daym...

Maybe I should pre-order that Medicom Kenshiro ASAP. (Yeah, I'm a sucker for HnK, and related action figures with good articulation are very hard to come by)

7. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I only have 1 RAH but he's so beautiful I am hoping to get another figure or two. It's so detailed.

8. Cobra_Commander

Cobra_Commander Master of tactics TFW2005 Supporter

and yet you didnt post any pics syd im disappointed :lol 

9. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I only have 2 Medicoms, the RAH Evangelion Rei and Asuka plug suit 12 inch figures.

And they totally and awesomely rock.

And did I mention they rock?

Because they do.

10. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Thanks for the replies guys! I'm indeed stuck between the above version and the "regular" one....the former looks more bad ass and has more weapons but the "normal" one looks like Solid Snake! Gah!

SydnyY - you have medicom figures also? What are they?

11. Redsneaker

Redsneaker Member

Well, apart from what the other guys mentioned. Usually medicom will announced the production run prior. If i m not wrong, for MGS 3, version 1 is 1000, version 2 is 3000??, version 3 is 500. For the matter of reissue, medicom is not known for that or as bad as other 12inch makers. ala Hot Toys and its rather loose use of 'exclusive' and 'limited' (HT fans, take it easy, subjective pov) Just that I have not heard about medicom having more runs to meet demands as much as HT. They do occassionally have 'Version 2' releases but seems only for certain exclusive characters which they can excercise more rights over.

Feel free to chip in, if anyone has other additional info on this. For MGS supposedly konami/the creator/character designer weren't too crazy with the quality/designs of some of the earlier licensees and have all since gave medicom the only rights. The kotobukiya MGS2 almost didn't make it to the market due to this. For the MGS series, I m pretty sure version 1 likeness won't be or can't be reissued due to exclusive rights agreement. It was part of the launch of the game, but sold out fast. The version 2 and 3 ARE supposedly the additional runs to meet fan demand(multi million selling game with a cult following,we are talking about)

There is also a line of 6-7inch ultra detail figures which includes MGS2,3,4. They are plastic figures with really basic articulation, I think just basic 4 points. Interesting fact about them that supports the above mentioned that the 'young snake' look being tied in to only the launch of MGS3:SE. The MGS 3 figure in this line has the eye patch and older looks that is based on the PSP MGS:OPS rather than MGS3:SE.

Version 1 is sought after for a good reason, it looks better and for the same reason you mentioned. Croc head has more accessories but the face paint really detracts and just somehow doesn't seem right. The Croc headgear also doesn't hold well for display over time, and is a pain to put on. Weapon wise you can easily get 1/6 accurate version of almost every weapon featured in the game for use, which is what a friend of mine did.

Market prices are about the same anyway between the 2. You might as well suck it up and get version1.

12. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    I appreciate for all the help you have given me so far and I appreciate it. Stuff like production runs and quality controls are very useful to me. Looks like I will suck it up and get the version 1 if I can find him! LOL!

13. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :lol  I have posted enough I thought.

I only have Boba Fett. But I love him so much it's almost inappropriate. He's got a problem (notably Velcro tapes on his backpack came off straight away), but still a great toy.

14. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Oh? You have Boba Fett?! How come you didn't get the Storm Troopers? I'm still trying to find the Metal Gear figure! XD

15. mpchi

mpchi Well-Known Member

The 12" MGS3 Snake figure is very awesome. Its still one of my top figure in my 12" collection. I got the Skull Face version. Medicom 12" can be hit or miss sometimes. I have a bunch of their Japanese Heroes, and a few others. But the MGS3 Snake is still one of the very best I've seen from them. Just go out and get one (if you've made up your mind about which version to get) before they all disappeared from the market. Whether you are a 12" collector or not, you'll love it. As its one of Medicom's very best.

If you want a Takara's best, look up the 'JinRoh' Kerboros Protect Gear figure. While their Batman Begins is also pretty darn good.

16. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Which version of the the Snakes do you have? Only the Zombie? I was thinking of getting into the 12 inch line for quite awhile but decided to look for Snake because of ...the very same Jin Roh you mentioned! Saw it and it was indeed great! LOL!