Mecha shows from the 70's early 80's

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Backpack, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Filling in what blanks I can...

Collection 1 1980s

1. No idea
    2. Muteki Robo Trider G7
    3. God Sigma
    4. Space Runaway Ideon
    5. Baldios (I think, it seems pretty cool anyway)

Collection 2

1. Muteking
    2. Tetsujin 28-go
    3. Daiogia
    4. Yattaman
    5. Gold Raitan

Collection 3

1. Go Lion (I can't wait either!)
    2. Go Shogun
    3. God Marz
    4. Braiger (Galactic Cyclone Braiger)
    5. Dougram

Collection 4

1. Xabungle (toys were Iron Gear and Blue Gale. SoC Iron Gear is coming soon!)
    2. Gyakuten-Oh from Ippatsuman Gashin
    3. No idea
    4. Dairugger XV (I wish this was on DVD too!)
    5. Acrobunch
    6. Baxinger (sequel to Braiger)

Collection 5

1. Macross
    2. Rainbowman
    3-4. The title says "Srangle" whatever that is. Looks good.
    5. Dunbine
    6. Albergas aka Voltron 2 / Gladiator Voltron

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Lets continue through the 80's shall we with the next group of collections....

(?) indicates, what the hell is this series? Are you familyar with it?

Collection 6
    Link removed - 2005 Staff
    1. Votoms

2. Gingasippuu Sasuraiger (?)

3. itadakiman (?)
    4. Orguss (YAY!)

5. PsychoArmor Govarian (?)

Collection 7

1. Mospeada
    2. Dorvack (check out Whirl and Roadbuster! I have wanted to see this series for years)
    3. Gingahyouryu Vifam (?) (I seem to remember this from Newtype back in the day)
    4. Okawari-boy StarzanS (?) (it's got some neat mecha designs)
    5. tyoukousoku Galvion (?) (transforming cars)

Collection 8

1-2. L-Gaim
    3. videosenshi Laserion (?)
    4. Giant Gorg (one of the shows I got on video tape when I first got into anime back in the day. Brings back memories)
    5. God Mazinger (?) ( looked more like a close than an open)
    6. Southern cross (duh) :D 

Collection 9

1. Kikoukai Galient (?) ( I remember it from newtype, models, toys?)
    2. tyourikirobo Galatt (?)
    3. Lensman
    4. Bismarck (saber rider)
    5-up. Z Gundam ( so awsome. First gundam series I ever saw. Still kind of pissed the DVDs didn't have the opening song.)

Collection 10

1-2. Dancougar
    3. Transformers (?) :D 
    4. SPT layzner
    5. Ninjyasenshi Tobikage (?)

It's so neat watching these and compairing the ones that caught my attention and those which eluded me for some reason. Maybe I was only aware of the more popular shows. Ones that were in the Japanese Anime Magazines I picked up in the mid 80's. Which allowed me to track down tapes. Back then I was happy to get most of a series, even just a few episodes. Like with TF Victory, I only got 2/3's of it but I was so geeked to just have that.

It's kind of bugging me though that I missed out on so many mecha shows. For the longest time I've had the feeling that I knew about all the great shows and there was nothing left for me to learn. I guess for some reason I just dismissed all the earliest mecha anime. After watching all these clips I feel like my eyes have been opened to the history of my greatest genre love, mecha anime. It was shocking just how many of these shows I knew absolutly nothing about. Now with going into the 80's shows I am seeing series that I know at least existed, if not fairly well.

3. Sol Fury

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Sequel to Braiger and Baixinger. Basically the plot goes something like:
    Braiger - Space Police J9 face intergalactic threats, however eventually the Solar System is destroyed, reforming as hundreds of mini-planetoids.
    Baixinger - a new J9 is formed hundreds of years on to tame the wilds of these new worlds and face new threats who have emerged. Cowboys in space, the galactic wild west, basically.
    Sasuraiger is the third one - the main character makes a bet that he can visit all of the worlds of the new system in a certain amount of time, fighting enemies and writing wrongs he finds on each one as he travels. It's an intergalactic "Around the World in 80 Days" complete with a transforming train!

What the hell was that? The name seems to be a play on "itdakimase", a traditional Japanese way of saying grace before a meal. I'll have to remove the link to that one though - the content of that is a bit to risque for the boards.

No idea, but it looks interesting.

Round Vernian Vifam. Not sure what it is about, but I know Anime-Classic were working on it.

23 episode series (was cancelled) about a guy from the Mazinger continuity who travels back in time and pilots a stone "mecha" fighting villains in the prehistoric times. Go Nagai considers it a part of Mazinger's continuity though most fans prefer to forget it.

Panzer World Galient. It's a Sunrise anime, they used this, Votoms and Dougram in Brave Saga and Brave Saga II for cameos. Not sure of the story though.

2. tyourikirobo Galatt (?)

Weird, I feel I should recognise those robots. The little one reminds me of Mic Sounders.

Hmm, never heard of this one :D 

I don't know a huge amount about this one. Essentially the main mecha is a ninja bot who can combine with various animal mecha to form stronger forms. Not sure what his story is, though.

Times like this, I wish Nebula was still about. He knows all there is to know about old mecha anime. Heck, who do you think got me into a lot of this stuff :) 

4. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

So are the Braiger shows the only ones that have J-9 in them? Because I seem to recall that croping up quite a bit. They all looked so different design wise I would never have guessed the were part of the same continuity.

God Mazinger sounds very different. Don't know how I feel about the concept, but it is creative. Though anything to do with rocks and robots will always make me think of Rock Lords. :D 

I can't believe there isn't a site out there that covers all these old mecha shows. I mean there are so many of them to cover.

More awsome Dorvack action:

Collection 11

Gundam ZZ
    Machine Robo (wha? it didn't come out until '86???)
    Dragonar (cool! I forgot all about this one. Got to love Gundam knock-off Dragonar. That would have been a cool title don't you think?)

Collection 12

1. Transformers 2010
    2. Dancougar (love the detail in the op)
    3. Machine Robo Battle Hackers
    4. Transformers Headmasters
    5. Dangaioh (pure awsome, love this ova series!)
    6. ?????????

Collection 13

Makyougaiden Ledeus (?)
    Daimajyuugekitou Haganenooni (?)
    LeinaKenroudensetsu (?)

5. Sol Fury

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Far as I know they're the only ones. You can tell they're related because the J-9 (with Roman numeral) pops up in each intro. The designs are a bit different but that's just how it goes.

Yep, Revenge of Chronos came late. Looks badass though, a million times cooler than the US one. Battle Hackers incidentally is a different continuity (I think, in spite of having some similar villains the nature of the humans in Battle Hackers is different)

There is no 6. It's a second Dangaioh intro I believe, probably just for the finale.

Title's mangled, but I think that should read "Leina: Kenrou Densetsu" or "Leina and the Legend of the Wolf Sword", it's a partial sequel to Machine Robo Revenge of Chronos where the main characters have all been reincarnated as flesh and blood on Earth (you see the human forms in the first of the three Ops, it's the faces under the robot heads), and meet each other again along the way (Leina is Leina Stol, sister to Rom Stol wielder of the Wolf Sword in Machine Robo Revenge of Chronos). Three episode OVA, each episode must have had a different opening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.