Mecha shows from the 70's early 80's

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Backpack, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

I've just recently become interested in anime robot shows from the 70's and early 80's. Looking for a possible website that is dedicated to old shows, toys, etc. I'm also looking for live action stuff like sentai or kaiju.

Also a list of shows you'd recommend me looking into first. My knowledge in this area is very limited. I pretty much want to know everything about the subject so the more shows listed the better.

This whole thing kicked off with me purchasing the first series of Ultraman on dvd. WHich lead to me cruising youtube and finding lots of opening animation for mecha shows. So I'm sort of on a retro kick, wanting to discover the roots of mecha anime.

Example:

I started off looking through the 80's mecha anime, and was blown away just how much of it there was. I guess I've heard of many of them in passing, but never really looked to far into the matter.

I haven't noticed to many old mecha shows that have made it to dvd here in the us. Have there been any at all?

Some shows that I have found/identified...

Braiger:

Zambot 3 :

Gold Raitan:

Voltes V:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

It kind of depends on what you want. If you want the more Super Robot type shows, there's the classics like Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, Kotetsu Jeeg, and Yuusha Raideen would be the more memorable from the 70's. Most of Go Nagi's Super Robot stuff was the basis for what has come since, and most of them have modern updates. In the 80's you had Space Runaway Ideon, from Gundam creator Yoshiyuki Tomino, Dancougar, and others several of which were brought over in one form or another. On the Real Robot side you have the original Mobile Suit Gundam, Macross, Aura Battler Dunbine, Armored Troopers VOTOM, Heavy Metal L-Gaim, and various others. I recommend hitting up /m/ on 4Chan or one of its variants for more info. Most of the shows I've mentioned I learned about there.

3. adam-x

adam-x megazord activate,,

gigantor

4. emo_transformer

emo_transformer Well-Known Member

Arhhh My Post Thingy Is Working!!!!!!!!!!! :d :d:d

5. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:

Spammer.

*ahem*

SDF:Macross is great, as are most of the Gundam series from what little I've seen.

6. Backpack

I know several of those shows, or at least have heard of them. Just discovered a new version of Kotetsu Jeeg that looks pretty damn cool.

original :

Only just tonight discovered Go Nagi is a creator, and not some mecha show. I've heard and seen it before and in my ingnorance just asumed it was a show.

Didn't know about Yuusha Raideen. Saw the opening animation, but didn't know what it was called. So thanks.

I definatly know shows like Macross, gundam, dancougar, dunbine, votom, L-gaim.

Don't know much about Ideon besides the opening I recently saw and that there is a cool figure coming out (or out) from the Soul of Chogokin line. Which is part of why I'm so getting into the old mecha stuff right now. Just bought a Zambot 3 off ebay. :D 

Thanks for suggesting 4chan. I do check it out now and again, but usually look for new stuff, hadn't thought of using it as a resource for old shows.

7. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Bigger than big, taller than tall,
    Quicker than quick, stronger than strong.
    Ready to fight for right, against wrong.....

GIGANTOR!
    Gigantor, Gigantor...

Gigantor the space aged robot,
    He is at your command!
    Gigantor the space aged robot,
    His power is in your hand!!!

Bigger than big, taller than tall,
    Quicker than quick, stronger than strong!
    Ready to fight for right, against wrong!!!

Gigantor, Gigantor, Gigantor...

Sorry. I just had to!

I also recommend MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM and pretty much anything else Gundam related.
    -The 08th M.S. Team is FANTASTIC if you want a realistic/war Gundam cartoon.

Macross & ROBOTECH. Everyone should at least watch before they die. It helped bring Anime to American audiences (and young American kids as well)...

But the same can be said for the kick-ass masterpiece that is AKIRA. But that film has no giant robots in it...unless you count a freakishly giant demented Teddy Bear and other assorted children's toys.

8. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

What I've seen of the new Jeeg is win. Its only 13 episodes and picks up 50 years after the original but disregards the latter part of the original show and sets up a new continuity. New Getter Robo, aka Shin Getter Robo (2004) is a pretty good retelling of Uncle Go's original Getter Robo series, with lots of action and fun.

Ideon is crazy from what I understand, haven't watched it all myself. Its probably Tomino's most famous non-Gundam creation, but so far there hasn't been a US release. Although there are recent fansubs available.

There's also a new Raideen, but I don't know how it turned out. I only watched one or two episodes. The mecha animation is all cg, and what I saw wasn't that impressive.

9. Backpack

I know the bigger name shows. It's all the lesser known ones that I'm discovering now. Maybe this will help. There are this collections of clips on youtube. If you know the show, fill in the blanks. Some of which I'm just putting a name to.

Collection 2 (1960-70)

1. Yuusha Raideen
    2. Getter Robo
    3. Techa Man
    4. Kotetsu Jeeg
    5. UFO ROBOT GRANDIZER

Collection 3

1. Daiku Maryu Gaiking
    2. ????
    3. ????
    4. Combattler V
    5. Groizer X

Collection 4

1. ????
    2. ????
    3-4. ???? ( I'm really interested to find out what the hell this one is. A big goofy dog mecha show)
    5. ????
    6. ????

Collection 5

1. ????
    2. Voltes V (which I was getting confused with Combattler V)
    3. ????
    4. Zambot 3
    5. ????

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Anime in Action, a fansub group, released some compilation videos that covered nearly every mecha show, ever, as of that time. Might be worth trying to look those up to get yourself some ideas.

As for that compilation 3 -

First one is Daiku Maryu Gaiking (recently remade as a very badass anime that deserves watching, it's up there with the 2004 Getter Robo remake IMO)
    Not sure on the second or the third, but the last two are Combattler V and Groizer X.

Voltes V is a series I've heard a lot of good things about, Zambot is meant to be really good as well.

11. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

The AiA compilations are up on youtube too, I believe. If I could get youtube at work I'd point them out. If they missed any mecha shows, I'd be very much surprised.

The problem with watching many of them is very few of them are available in dub/fansub format. This IS slowly being corrected. No one seems to have Mazinger Z, though. That's the granddaddy of super robot greatness, and a good indicator of how...wierd Go Nagai could be (Aphrodite A, who could EVER forget you).

Not QUITE in the same area...Adult Swim's currently playing Astro Boy. You want to see the American influence in early anime? Tons of it there.

12. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Getter Robo, Getter Robo, and Getter Robo. There is also Mazinger Z. Go look for Go Nagai's stuff. Getter Robo, Getter Robo G, Getter Robo Go, New Getter Robo, Getter Robo Armageddon. Plenty to watch.

13. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, Aphrodite A was pretty awesome :) 
    The show has never been subbed because Bandai (I think, could be ADV) sent cease and desist orders to anyone who attempted it. Seems there was once a plan to release the thing, but it's dropped off the radar now, even so they're very protective of that one.

Check out the modern update, Mazinkaiser, though - that's got a lot of what made Mazinger awesome as well as some very intense battle sequences, especially the Movie.

14. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

While you folks are at it, has anyone got recomendations for obscure, good and subtitled 80s real robot war shows?

I'm currently downloading the new fansubs of SPT Layzner (from the same dude as VOTOMS) and i'm mulling over Ideon after reading on wikipedia how hardcore it is supposed to be.

15. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Maybe you guys can help me out with this. I vaguely remember a kickass robot show I remember seeing in the 80's when I was a kid. But of course I can't remember the name. However, I do recall one distinguishing feature, the main hero mecha had a cowboy hat at used handguns. Anyone know what it was called?

edit: one other thing, I swear I remember hearing optimus prime in the dub(rather, peter cullen)

16. Backpack

That was Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs.

Dubbed from the original Japanese series Seijushi Bismarck.

World Event Productions, is the current licence holder for the series(along with Voltron). A while back they offered a 10 best of episodes on DVD and sold two volumes of the OST on CD. Their online store seems to be down, so I can't tell you if they still have them.
    http://www.wep.com/main.html

17. Backpack

Now moving onto the 80's shows.

Collection 1 1980s

1. TimePatroltai Otaskeman (?)
    2. Muteki Robo Trider G7 (which looks awsome)
    3. Utyuutaitei Godsigma (?)
    4. Space Runaway Ideon
    5. ???

Collection 2

1. Muteking (?)
    2. Tetsujin 28-go
    3. ???
    4. ???
    5. Gold Raitan

Collection 3

1. Go Lion (can't wait for this to hit DVD!)
    2. ??? (seen the robot somewhere though)
    3. ??? (I really'd like to know what this one is. Looks super cool.. and I seem to remeber a toy from when I was a kid)
    4. Braiger (full title??) (which I know only from this cool figure coming out next year http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=YAM10264&mode=retail )
    5. Dougram

Collection 4

1. Xabungle (super kick ass. I remember the toys)
    2. ???
    3. ??? (looks like the Seacons)
    4. Dairugger XV (vehicle Voltron)
    5. ???
    6. ???

Collection 5

1. Macross
    2. Ainosensi Rainbowman (?)
    3-4. ??? Akuudaisakusen Srangl (?)
    5. Dunbine
    6. ??? Kousokudenjin Arubegasu (?) (3 robot voltron team that had toys)

18. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    These are taking a bit to load and play...so I'll play fill in the blank as best I can...

Collection 1 1980s

1. ???
    2. Muteki Robo Trider G7 (which looks awsome)
    3. ???
    4. Space Runaway Ideon
    5. ???

Collection 2

1. Muteking
    2. Tetsujin 28-go
    3. Daiogia (Wish this guy wasn't so expen$ive!)
    4. Yattaman
    5. Gold Raitan

Collection 3

1. Go Lion (can't wait for this to hit DVD!)
    2. Go Shogun
    3. God Marz (the toy was part of the GoDaiKin line :)  )
    4. Braiger (full title??) (which I know only from this cool figure coming out next year

1. Xabungle (super kick ass. I remember the toys... what is it???)
    2. Gyakuten-Oh from Ippatsuman Gashin (Hoping mine arrives at BBTS soon :) 
    3. ??? (looks like the Seacons)
    4. Dairugger XV (vehicle Voltron)
    5. Acrobunch
    6. Baxinger

Collection 5

1. Macross
    2. Ainosensi Rainbowman (?)
    3-4. ??? Akuudaisakusen Srangl (?)
    5. Dunbine

19. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    AWESOME. I tried searchin for it a few times in the past, but trying a description involving anything with the words "anime" and "cowboy" results in cowboy bebop no matter what else you throw into google.I wonder if bandai will release one of those kickass soul of chogokin toys of that mech.

20. Backpack

Thanks alot Dragonclaw. :D 

If they did, I think my head might explode from all the massive amounts of win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.