Mecha series wanted!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Xabungle, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

I dig giant robots. But I've seen very little anime. So I'm wanting to experience some stuff I've heard of through Super Robot Wars video games and Soul of Chogokin figures.
    So far all I've really seen is Big O, and Getter Robo Armageddon. I am watching GaoGaiGar. Probably going to obtain some fan dubs of other Yuusha series. And I am contemplating either buying New Getter Robo used, or borrowing Gundam Wing.
    What else would be some great mecha series? Bonus points if it has a SRW or SoC connection, and super bonus points if it can be obtained fairly cheaply or easily....

2. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    K in no particular order, here's some of my faves:

Gurren Lagann
    Macross Frontier (plus any of the Macross series)
    Mazinger
    Mazinkaiser
    Godannar
    Genesis Climber Mospeada
    Voltron (a definite classic)
    New Getter Robo
    SRW anime
    Jeeg Robo
    Aquarion

Last but not least ALL of the Brave series anime. :D 

3. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Gurren Lagann. After you watch all episodes, you will cry man tears.

4. Sideways

Sideways Banned

GURRAN LAGANN.
    Thats all you'll need.
    EVAR.

5. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Gurren Lagaan is a definite. Gundam 00, Full Metal Panic! (all three series), Visions of Escaflowne(Don't let the look fool you, its a good show), Macross Plus, Macross Zero, the Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy, Zeta Gundam, MSG 0083: Stardust Memory. That's a start. Oh and one of the best shows ever and one I really need to get back to watching, LEGEND OF GALACTIC HEROES!

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Get Gundam Wing off that list if you want to see a quality gundam show. it's an okay series, but as far as characters, story, and overall "not stupid" factor, it can't compare to the Gundam series Metal Soldier suggested above.

but if you're the kind of person that likes to sit back and make fun of what you're watching MST-style, then Gundam Wing is probably the most perfect anime ever for you.

Escaflowne and Gurren Lagann are must-sees

7. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Like everyone, Gurren Lagann. Including Code Geass (both series), Fafner, Zegapain and Gundam 00.

8. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Rather than list a big laundry list, I'll name a few of my choice favorites and a quick explanation for why you should see it:

Macross Plus. You don't need to invest more than 2 hours of your time with this excellent series (it's four 30-minute episodes). At its time of release, it was one of the most expensive OAV's ever, and the robot fights and music are still among the best I've seen. One of the few animes where the characters are grown adults. The lead good and bad guy are pretty confident in their ability to pilot a robot, so you don't get any annoying, "What am I fighting for?" or "It's all my fault!" angst-ridden speeches.

The Vision of Escaflowne. This series (and movie!) came out around the same time as Evangelion, and the latter series had far more religious images and boobs. Therefore, Evangelion got all the attention and Escaflowne sort of fell through the cracks. I vastly prefer Escaflowne over Evangelion. Escaflowne has some gorgeous animation and music, and although most of the story is fairly standard Fantasy 101, it has a fairly original concept of giant mecha in medieval times. The robots fight with cloaks, swords, and steam power, and the fusion with medieval technology and science fiction works surprisingly well.

Mobile Suit Gundam: the 08th MS Team. This series will only take up 12 episodes of your time, and it's a great "gateway" Gundam series. It's short, it's animated excellently, and the music is great. It's not exactly Black Hawk Down, but as far as robot animes, it's a fairly-realistic depiction of war from the soldiers' point of view. No magical powers, just hard work, semper fi, and bullets. You don't need to know any prior Gundam knowledge, either.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: I know I said I prefer Escaflowne to this, but Evangelion is still a fairly thought-provoking series. I loved it a decade ago, probably had it memorized, could point out every little bit of symbolism. I'm 25 now and not a naive teenager, and this series does NOT stand the test of time. All the "deep" symbolism is basically the writers looking up random religious pictures and names and randomly inserting them into the series, and letting the fans ogle over how "deep" it is. The women are poorly-written, and the deep "psychology" now just seems like incessant whining. Animation starts off quite good, then gets so bad toward the end that there are at least 2 scenes that are like 5 consecutive minutes of non-movement. I know this sounds very negative, but for what it's worth, it's a riveting story with some fascinating characters that you won't forget. I'm not sure Evangelion deserves its spot in fandom's cherished memories, but it is definitely worth seeing. I'm not saying you won't regret it, but you definitely won't forget it!

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Gundam 00 - excellent Gundam series, a real return to form after a few disappointing shows.

New Getter Robo - Awesome show, it's very cool. Lots of badass moments and some of the coolest fight sequences ever animated. If you liked Getter Robo Armageddon, you'll love this.

Code Geass - Very clever storyline with lots of twists. The final episodes are a bit below par to the rest of the series but it's very enjoyable.

Mazinkaiser - it's short, but incredibly good. Great animation and some incredibly fun and over the top fight sequences. If you liked Getter Robo Armageddon, you'll be in the right place with this show.

Shin Mazinger Z / New Mazinger Z - the latest Mazinger anime. Pays tribute to a whole host of Go Nagai's work and is a very creative retelling of the classic Mazinger story. It's a bit light on mecha action in favour of driving the story, although the mecha fight sequences are awesome enough that you'll forgive it. Ends on a bit of a cliffhanger with some plot points still to be resolved in the rumoured continuation.

Gunbuster - the original Gainax mecha anime. Best watched over the course of a couple of days, it's only six episodes long and takes a couple of episodes to hit its stride, but it has an excellent story and great battle sequences in the later episodes.

Gurren Lagann - if you like your mecha anime hot blooded, you cannot get better than this. It's a tribute to everything that is good and awesome about mecha anime shows.

10. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Adding Big-O to the mix, don't be surprise it feels like Batman : TAS.

11. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Personal favorites are SDF Macross, Zeta Gundam, VOTOMS and Patlabor. I'd also highly recommend Macross Plus and Gundam 0080.

Can't comment on any Super Robot shows, not my bag.

Not mech, but so incredible it should be recommended in every thread.

12. Mr knightmare

Mr knightmare Banned

News Credits:
    TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN!!!

[​IMG]

DO THE IMPOSSIBLE AND KICK REASON TO THE CURB!

13. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Just like MetalSoldier said, check out The Vision of Escaflowne (I prefer the series over the movie). That show is amazing and it's a different style of mecha action. Usually in most mecha shows, people pilot their mechs kinda like they would with fighter jets. In Escaflowne, the giant robots are more or less giant suits of armor piloted by knights.

I'm going to suggest this but going to cite some caution with it. My favorate mecha series is Gasaraki but it's a very strange and complex (and at times, boring) show. It's kinda like if Tom Clancy wrote a mecha story line. The mechas in this give of the appearance of being very realistic (cause mechs arent real ya know :p  ). They arnt the giant super combat machines like many other animes make them out to be and the fighting can be very lethal.

14. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

The problem with Gasaraki is that the traditional Real Robot half and the Evangelion cash-in half are very disjointed. I get the impression that Ryosuke Takahashi just wrote the show he wanted to make and then tacked the whole Kugai, Shinto and Noa Theatre thing on to get it paid for. I don't think its particularly wierd or complicated either, it just seems like that to us because its heavy on traditional Japanese culture and nationalism.

To be fair thougth, I expect Takahashi either knew or researched the cultural stuff he was referencing since its native to his country. I doubt he could have got away with blagging it like Hideaki Anno did with western religion in Evangelion.

15. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Rahxephon
    G Gundam
    Giant Robo: The Animation
    Neo Getter Robo x Shin Getter Robo
    Gaiking: The Legend of Daikumaryu
    Koutetsushin Jeeg
    Overman King Gainer
    Megas XLR

16. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Good call Gryph, how the heck did I forget the 2006 Gaiking remake? That's another series well worth checking out. Koutetshushin Jeeg is another good one, although it helps to at least know a bit about the original by the time you get to episode 12. It makes the epic fight sequence even more epic.

17. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Skip Gundam Wing. G Gundam is the best Gundam series out there. 8th team is good too. There is also Full Metal Panic. The Arbalest is love <3.

Gaiking is kind of cool at first but gets really corny at the end, but you can always give it a try.

18. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Gun X Sword was a pretty decent mecha series that didn't take it self to seriously most of the time.

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    veeeeeeeery few people hold that opinion. it's a good series though.

20. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I have five more shows I forgot about.

Gunbuster
    Gunbuster 2
    Godanner
    Martian Successor Nadesico (For the love of god, do not watch the movie!)
    Dual: Parallel Trouble Adventures

And I would be one.