mecha novels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kidnicky, Aug 23, 2012.

1. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

Anyone have any suggestions for a book with a mecha scifi theme? I've already read the Robotech ones and a lot of the
    Gundam ones. Mechwarrior seems.....intimidating due to the number of volumes,I have no idea where to jump in or if I should.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Mechwarrior's kind of your best bet, though my knowledge of the novels is pretty vague. Maybe Starship Troopers by Heinlan?

3. Yaujta

Yaujta De-Headmasterizator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Black Library Warhammer 40K novels are good. There's a titan legion one, and a few others with titans in them. Not mecha-centric, but it's there to some extent.

4. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just pick a Mechwarrior one with a pretty cover and jump in. That's what I did a few years ago and I've never regretted it since.

5. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

Starship Troopers is about fighting in mechs, yeah. But a large percentage of the novel is taken up by lectures and lessons learned during Johnny Rico's boot camp and later, officer training.

It's still quite good. But be warned that the action sequence on the first pages never really reoccurs.

Maybe try Armor by John Steakley. Although it's not exactly cohesive - the 2nd part of the book is dominated by a space pirate named Jack Crow, a suspiciously similar character to Jack Sparrow, although predating him by two decades.

6. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Heart Like a Hand Grenade

News Credits:
    Stay away from the manga adaptation of Code Geass. They completely omitted the Knightmares from the books.

Seriously. No giant robot mechas that were plot devices in the show ever appear in the books.

7. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    I know a novel series called the Penrose series by Tony Ballantyne. It's not mecha, but it's about sentient robots on an alien planet called Penrose that involves a war between two types in the first book, and they also get invaded by humans in the second book. It's one of my favourite sci-fi books and I think you may like it.