Mecha designs you dislike.

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by MagiRanger, May 13, 2006.

1. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    I don't really know what would be the appropriate forum for a topic like this, so feel free to move it.

Are there any specific mecha designs you dislike? I'm not talking about a specific mecha, just design aspects.

I've always disliked the "Animal head on chest" (MagiLegend, PredaKing, GaoGaiGar) design, whether it be a lion, bird, or anything else. I also hate it when a mecha doesn't have hands, instead it's got "mouth-hands" or "drill-hands".

Interested in hearing anything else.

2. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Gundams. I don't why, but they annoy me. Possibly something to do only having had about two or three designs for the hero mech in almost 30 ears. Different back kibble is not a different design. Even the various Primes have had more variation between them.

I've also found that there's not a single variable fighter in the Macross franchise since the VF-2SS that I like.

Any transforming mech with an organic alt mode also drives me nuts.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I dislike Valkeries or whatever you call them. They all look damn near alike, yet people go nuts for them. I don't get it.

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I've gotta go with MagiRanger on the "lion-on-chest" thing. I think most of the Brave series is pretty ridiculous-looking for that reason. As far as robots and mecha go, It's just too stylized for me.

I also don't like the "front windshield as a head" design that the Gobots suffered from. Those toys made sense IF there were drivers inside the cockpit/driver's section. As autonomous robots, though, I think they looked pretty stupid.

5. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Elgaim (or whatever it's spelt in English). Funny looking head, IMO. Though I disliked the cartoon so I guess it affected my judgement. I don't think any of the ATs look much better, but there's attachment :lol 

As for TFs, I am not very happy when Beast ones keep their animal feet when in robot mode. (Like Lio Convoy, I like that mold but he'd have been better if he could have bot feet.)

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Yeah, it always looks like they're wearing big-ass goofy animal slippers. I don't like that look either.

7. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Anybody remember those McDonalds toys they did to cash in on the transforming robot craze? They were white, red and blue, and they were brickier than a broadside with gum stuck in its joints. They had a walking gimmick that didn't work.

8. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

Neon Genesis Evangelion.

9. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

EVAs aren't robots. -_-

What bugs me.

Gundams. They all look the same. At least the main gundams do. Some of the side gundams like those in wing, G gundam, and Seed have more unique designs, though they're still too simillar.

Excessively large chest decorations. This includes many of the crests on brave figures, Mazinkaiser's chest ornament and Cybertron prime's sonic wing mode.

I don't mind some stuff on the chest to make it stand out but if it looks like it is serving no purpose but to be a big gaudy tumor on the chest it just gets in the way.

open air cockpits.

Yup, hate em. This includes the mechs in blue gender and appleseed (though appleseed is excused for being an otherwise awsome anime)

If you're going to call it armor it should not leave major body parts exposed.

cockpits on legs.
    Yes that means battletech and much of warhammer. What did you run out of parts halfway up?

I honestly don't mind animal feet (gives them a certain savage quality) or drill hands (I think that's just oldschool cool)

But any beast transformer who's front legs are arms and black legs are robot legs is a just plain lazy design.

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't care for bots with no hands, but I'm usually OK with ones with only one hand (and one drill / animal head / gun / whatever )

On the "lion-chest" subject, I'm OK with it if there's a reason for the lion or animal head being there - like it turns into an animal. Lion chest on Predaking = good. Lion chest on Brave thingy that turns into a car or jet = bad.

11. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

AMEN!

12. Cyclone_X

Cyclone_X Cybertronian Warlord

gundams look alike because they are mostly military products, like most tanks look alike, and boats and jets ;) 

I'm not really a fan of the Mazinger mechas, the only Go Nagai design I really love is Goldorak/UFO Robo Grendizer (and some Getters look good too)

13. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Anything with two non-hands kinda bugs me. One is fine, but two seems like it would make the bot pretty useless.

Yeah same here. One or two is cool, and the extra armor and weapons is neat, but it looks like it's essentially $150 a pop for a line of repaints. *shrug*

I don't like overly tubby limbs. That includes a lot of Brave and SoC figures I've seen. Some of them are at the point where it looks like they have toothpick thighs attached to oil barrel shins. I mean come on, how is it supopsed to move like that?

The head/chest thing is generally ok with me. I think it works fine for Predaking at least, and (in the show anyway) Cheetor/Tigatron. And it looks great on C-Scourge.

The animal head as a hand thing can look dopey sometimes. Pirmarily with BW Megatrons. It's just crazy huge.

14. Colorflash

Colorflash European Variant

Valks are supposed to be mass-produced mecha. The head design depends on the use the Valkyrie has (Squad-leader, grunt-soldier, trainer, etc.).

The toys have pilots (except for Baron von Joy). And most of the windshield heads (in total they were, what?, 4 characters + Destroyer, who had a turret-head) actually have eyes underneath.

15. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hate TFs that are use "shells" to transform...its hate to explain what I mean but some of these designs can be found in Beast Wars and R.I.D!

I agree about the Gundam comment...that's why I love the U.C generation (the old school) but avoid the newer ones like Seed and Destiny etc. Too many Gundams!

16. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pretty much any beast where the transformation involves standing up on the back legs, and the front legs becomming the arms.

Cybertron Scourge, BM Cheetor - this means you!

17. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

I've got your worst nightmare right here:
    [​IMG]

18. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay: