MECHA DESIGNERS? Couldn't they hire some?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by chokinzoku, Dec 28, 2006.

1. chokinzoku

chokinzoku Member

One would think that with a budget in excess of $150M someone on the production staff would think of hiring professional anime mecha designers who actually have experience designing robots..!? What about Shirow Masamune (Appleseed), Kawamori Shoji (Macross; arguably the best transformable aircraft ever), Nagano Mamoru (Five Star Stories), or Aramaki Shinji (Evangelion)? IMO, the mecha in "Transformers" look rather weak, several notches below what was originally delivered to the general public in the '80s. Sure, ILM is doing the CG, they also did the CG for "Hulk."

Godzilla fans universally hated the TriStar remake for completely re-making the character into a lizard that runs on all fours. I see the tacky mecha designs for "Transformers" as heading in the same direction as TriStar did with "Godzilla."

Any information on what/who is behind the mecha design direction in this movie (and how it got out of control) would be appreciated...

-Chokinzoku

2. indecks

indecks Banned

:horse: 

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    From what I know, they have professional 3d imagers, or whatever their official name is, working on them. In my opinion, the designs are awesome. I can't wait to see the film. I think this film, and the following ones, will actually help the TF Universe. The example that you use, Godzilla, the remake of it was actually what got me back into being a Godzilla fan. It's pretty much the same case with TF's. This movie has helped bring me back to the fanbase. Peace out.

4. Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo Bonecrusher Hates You

News Credits:
    Godzilla failed in fan-eyes, not because of the redesign, but because the charecter of Godzilla was drastically changed. My proof? Godzilla: The animated Series. Fans adored it because Gofzilla was back to doing Godzilla type things. As for the movie itself? What killed *it* was a bad script.

All these movie designs are far more complex and intricate then anything Japan has put out in the pas t forty years. And I *like* anime mecha. Just because YOU don't like it doesn't make it in any way a bad design.

5. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

The problem with all the designers you mentioned is that none of them design things with 100% realistic forms, which the tfs need in this film. Also, the tf's robot modes are obviously influenced by the looks of *real* robots that exisist today, which look mechanical and 'exposed' and not highly stylized like japanese bots.

Oh, and i'm sure the hired real robot designers and real life *engineers* to create these machines to be both realisitic in alt mode and bot mode.

6. Weremole

Weremole Whack-a-mole Avenger

The reason they are complex and intricate is because it looks more genuine on a live action screen. Not more realistic, but more genuine.

In terms of stylization they are about the same but the whole thing is stylized in a different way.

In animation that is not to worry about. Your perception is then allready tuned to the realistic unreality of it so your eye forgives things easyer since it makes perfect sense within the nature of the medium.

Same goes for tokusatsu shows wich in the same way owes a lot to the same Japanese tradition of animism (especially puppet theatre and NO where you don't see the actors faces) as animation.

So you can't really compare. Its a different deal. This is how they (ILM, Paramount, Hasbro, Bay) choose to go about it. I think it works.

Much like any mecha designing the thing has to go through an engineering process. Wich is the ILM transformation crew. They make the designs work with real live vehicles. We've seen Prime change subtly but meaningfully. The same will probably be for any other bot.

Any designer anywhere works in drafts. God knows Zeta Gundam had like 15 different design variation before they made it work. Gundam itself looked more like a Votoms suit before the toy company demanded toyetic things.

Speaking of Mamoru Nagano... I see his influence in most of the movie designs. They are right up his alley. I also see some degree of Shouji Kawamori.

Do a google search on "Gunhead".

7. hop2pop

hop2pop Active Member

To think they didn't get some of the best Industrial Concept designers for this movie is stupid. I bet you a few guys from ILM did some development on this.

8. littleiron

littleiron Little I.N.S.A.N.E IroN

News Credits:
    TFs are alien mechanic lifeform, not human-made supah loboto.

It's already a mercy that they give them Primates look - one head and four limbs, heheh.
    Well, regarding the capability to survive, primate isn't any advancer than insect; humans are not much better than cockroaches.
    Why should the giant aliens looks like us then? LOL

9. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They how come Superman looks every bit human? Dont you find it a total Bullshit!?

10. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I disagree.

If YOU don't like a particular design, then it is a bad design to you. By your own logic, just because YOU like a design, doesn't make it in any way a good design.

11. Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo Bonecrusher Hates You

News Credits:
    As a truck that transforms into a robot, that *is* a fantastic design. I'm not saying that because I like it, I'm saying that because its intricate and complex, has a full range of motion and transforms into a real vehicle. Again, what is bad about the design, other then it doesn't live up to your preconceived notion?

12. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Again, what is good about the design, other than it surpasses your preconceived notion?

Why do I have to give you a reason why I dislike it. (not that anything in my post said that I didn't.) So what if I don't. There are alot of transforming trucks (not just Transformers) that have been designed over the years. I like some and others I don't. It just doesn't matter to me if it's intricate or complex, (tho I'd say it's too intricate and complex) I just don't like it.

I'm not alone in thinking this either. There were ALOT of fans who were unhappy with the new look when it was first leaked. The fact that changes have been made to try to get the design to look a little closer to any TF aesthetic is proof of that.

Don't get me wrong, I glad for those who like what they've seen, but I've noticed on a number of message boards the need to shove that like down everybody's throats. It's that kind of thing that I've come to really dislike about this movie. If you like what you see, then enjoy it. Hell, share your joy with others. Just don't demand others agree with you. (and by demand, I mean asking them to tell you why they don't like them as you do)

13. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

No it didn't I was never into the whole godzilla thing and wouldn't know him from johnny chimpo jumped in a vat of green goo and turned into a giant lizard. Really, it had absolutely nothing to do with the fact it was so different, I think people are just reaching for examples of why the new Transformers movie will fail. I didn't like that movie because it was extremely shallow in depth. Story was not that good and had a crappy ending. That is it. I'm sure it failed for THAT reason instead of the one you all are trying to shove down the ravers throats.

14. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i rather liked the recent Godzilla

15. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

It is absolutely NOT a matter of dollar here, it is a matter of style. If you had mecha designers doing this and I saw Gundam in live action I would flip. A) because I absolutely hate Gundam and its style, and B) I hate anime in general. In the case mecha designers DID design these, some would have counter argued "with a budget in excess of $150 million, why couldn't they hire professionals!"

They did spend lots of money in the designs. NOBODY in Hollywood, and especially people footing the bill will put up this much money without doing significant research. They just happen to come up with a style that is different than YOUR opinion of how the style should be, and that does not make it cheap because people see things different ways. Me, personally .... I LOVE these things and they were spot-on with the path they have chosen. Couldn't have it any better personally .... save of course, for StarScream.

16. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

So did my brother. Nothing wrong with liking it or disliking it. I'm just sick and tired of people saying the reason these movies tank is because it is so different from the original. That excuse is tossed around like there can't possibly be ANY other reason for the movie tanking. If the movie fails and people didn't like it because it had shoddy acting, no development and an overall bad story, people here will inevitably say .... "Oh you see, that movie failed because it was so different from the original. They didn't keep to the source that made it big and THAT is why it failed!"

Godzilla failed with the masses because it was a terrible movie. A small number of Godzilla freaks (*looks around and sees nobody*) may have thought that ... but it did not have bearing on whether the movie was a success or failure.

Sorry if it seemed like I was getting on your case ... i'm not. My brother LOVED the movie, but me personally, did not like it very much.

It is late at night, I am cranky, and read another "it tanked because it was not true" crap line so I thought I would respond. Cheers!

17. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

So a design can never be objectively measured on it's own merit, only subjectively evaluated individually? *Gahhh* My head hurts.

I rather everyone be more free with their constructive cirticism and praise, with just enough details to back that up. (Key word: constructuve, "it's a POS" or "that's eye diarrhea" is nothing but flame baiting.) This way, it's easy to weed the just plain old haters from the ones who have real valid concerns.

And I wish both sides would just plain ignore the baiting.

18. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah the whole Godzilla thing is total BS. 98% of the population or more know nothing about Godzilla beyond "big Japanese monster lizard thing that runs around Tokyo." I saw the film and never once thought "HEY! That's not Godzilla! Godzilla doesn't do that!" The film did not fail because it wasn't closely related to the original source material.

19. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

Two words: Matthew Broderick

20. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    What's funny is that Godzilla DID bring in profit, but not as much profit as the studio wanted, hence why it never got a sequel.
    Also, from what I read, most Godzilla fans would have preferred the '94 version to be made (which IMO would have been a crappy movie) simply because Godzilla would have looked the same and that he would fight a giant monster. It's their equilevant of preferring G1 Takatai over Transformers Armada (the PS2 games, not the series).