Mech Melee: Skirmish (introduction to fan fic contest)

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by Thunderchild, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Thunderchild

Thunderchild Well-Known Member

A few years before discovering TFW, I use to be really into a Power Ranger blog/forum site, where we would have subject related (or not) writing contest. Surprisingly, with so many of you active on the fan fic boards, there isnt anything like that here.

So allow me to introduce the 'Mech Melee Fan Fic Tourny'

Here's how it works:

The tourny will be broken up into rounds. The first wave of rounds will be judged by myself, the semi-finals will be judged by other readers, and the finals judged by a combination of the two. I have yet to determine how many rounds there will be before going into the Semi's. The winner of the Tourny will recieve bragging rights, the admiration of his or her peers, but more importantly will return as reigning champion and featured as "The Boss" for the next Tourny. (Everyone loves a good boss fight)

The Rules
    1) Only I can open, start, and close a round. As such only I can name the rounds winner after scores have been tallied. This way there will be no confusion.

2) This is supposed to be a fun way to challenge yourself, and maybe give you a little break from your other projects. The entries should be short... no multi-chaptered novels. But longer then two paragraphs please.

3) Format is open: weather you like to write it out normally, or as a script, first person, third person... it's ALL good. Just be sure the reader can follow along.

4) Each round will have a theme, situation, or element that MUST be used in the story. This is what keeps you sharp. These will be known as CHALLENGES, failure to incorparate the challenge will result in a 'Disqualify' for the round. The Challenges will get more specific and difficult as the Tourny progresses.

5) Judging by myself will be mainly focused on content, I am not that much of a stickler for spelling and grammer (fore I suck at both) as long as I can follow along, then it's all gravey.

6) Judgement from your peers, for the later rounds, have no regulations. They get to make these judgements based on their own personal standards.

7) One entry per writer, per round. Semi-Finals, and Finals WILL BE INVITE ONLY, as only winners from previous rounds can participate in them.

8) Unless specified by the Challenge posted for the round, the writer may use characters from all across the Transformers continum. Or may use an original character. All that I ask, is that your OC's are not "God Moded" meaning... they arent perfect and may have character flaws.

9) Please keep all enteries PG-13 or below.

10) Judgement by peers in later rounds, will be done with polls, if the reader wishes to leave a comment I ask that they stay constructive and clean.

11) Though this is the Mech Melee, not every entry is expected to depict a battle. As long as your entry incorperates the Challenge, it can be about whatever you want.
    ----
    Typically a sperate thread would be created for entries, but this is just a Skirmish. A means to test the waters. So let me throw out a challenge and see if we get any bites, I'll limit this to 5 entries. The first 5 writers to sign up are in. After I've got all 5 slots filled, I'll put out the deadline. Please hold off on posting your entry until the deadline is put out.

Mech Melee: Skirmish
    Challenge: Salt Flats free-for-all (Orchestrate your own short story, numbers of characters are open. Must take place on the Salt Flats of Nevada. Most creative/entertaining short will win.
    Competiters:
    1. Im No Hero
    2. VectorPrime404

2. Thunderchild

OK... so I guess the idea isnt popular. I guess I'll wait until Friday to see if anybody signs up. I not, then I'll trash the idear

3. Im No Hero

Im No Hero ze best reader

News Credits:
    i would be glad to participate this sounds like fun

4. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

I'll join. Just so you know, in my personal canon: Screw the Rebirth.

Wheeljack was out in the salt flats of Nevada to test his latest invention: a gate allow smooth access to alternate universes. He was out in Nevada because of his inventions' track record of malfunctioning explosively. With him were various volunteers, most of whom had nothing better to do.

"It's just going to blow like nearly everything else he's built," groused Huffer. "Silence, Huffer," Galvatron said irritatedly. "His Spark Rescuer worked splendidly, seeing as you're alive, he's alive, Windcharger's alive, and Mirage is alive."

"Okay, it's ready," called Wheeljack. He switched it on. But, in one of his frequent blips in forethought, he did not first activate the phase-protector, which would let anybody on the other side heading for it pass through its location unaffected, instead of entering. Wheeljack realized this belatedly as something charged through, then quickly screeched to a stop. "Whoops."

It was a red-and-white alien race car, with elegant, curved front flanks, and a blue crest and twin prongs sticking out behind the cockpit. It looked uncannily like Elita One's transform. Then Wheeljack saw the Autobot symbol. "Err, sorry about bringing you here. I'll get you back soon. I'm Wheeljack, by the way. What's your name?" "Override," replied the race car. "Let me guess, I'm in another universe." Wheeljack nodded. "Yeah. I built a device to open gates between universes, but when I activated it I forgot to turn on the gizmo that stops people on the other side from going in accidentally. Are you alright? Can you transform?"

"You bet your aft I can," said Override. Her headlights flipped up to become the fronts of her feet. Her legs split from her front bumper. The black section of her front bumper slid in briefly, and her cockpit separated from the undercarriage. Her back wheels flipped 180 degrees, bringing her arms out. The black section at her rear that held her engine block moved back past her main boosters and onto her back, revealing her head. The red undercarriage block that ended in the front bumper flipped up over the rest of her backpack. "Well, what do you think? Like it?"

"Yep," said Wheeljack. "Do you have a weapon?" "Yes," said Override. She removed her engine block from her back, revealing it had a gun handle. The booster pipes swung out to become barrels. Override pulled the trigger, and twin red bolts shot out, blowing up a small rock. The barrels folded back in. "Now watch this. Cyber Key Power!" A red glow surrounded her briefly. Then a red light flew into the back of the gun. For an instant it was seen to be a red, crystalline key with a gold speedometer-motif border and a gold speedometer needle styled like a lightning bolt in the center, then it disappeared. The barrels flipped back out, but this time they were humming with power. She blasted a much larger rock to smithereens.

"Impressive," commented Galvatron. "Is the verbal command necessary to activate the key, or can it be done with just a mental trigger?" "A mental trigger works fine," Override replied, "I was just showing off. Besides, shouting a callout is a good way to psych yourself up for action."
    She noticed for the first time the Decepticon symbol on his chest. She also noticed that instead of being purple or purplish blue, it was red. The colour traditionally used to represent good. Meaning he'd turned over a new leaf. Her gaze did not escape Galvatron's attention.

He nodded at her. "I am Galvatron, and I saw the wisdom of changing my ways. The Decepticons followed." Override looked over the group. "Can I see all of you transform?" she asked. They answered by transforming. With most of the car-formers she was able to identify the exact make of car, having studied the subject with Lori. Galvatron became a treaded cannon emplacement. Wheeljack became a Lancia Stratos Turbo racer.

The others called out their names as they shifted. Jazz, a white Autobot with blue stripes, red overstripes, and "Martinii Porsche" decals, became a Porsche 935 Turbo. Drag Strip, an ocher Decepticon with a purple stripe, became a Tyrrell P34 race car. Dead End, a maroon Decepticon with a yellow stripe, became a Porsche 928. Wildrider, a dark gray Decepticon, became a Ferrari 308 GTB. Breakdown (almost the same name as an aging Autobot from her world), a white Decepticon, became a Lamborghini Countach. Motormaster, a black-and-dark silver Decepticon with purple stripes, became a Kenworth K100 Aerodyne sleeper truck with a long, articulated trailer. Perceptor, a red-and-blue Autobot became a mobile microscope. Arcee, a pink-and-white Autobot, became a Cybertronian sports car. Hot Rod, a dark red Autobot with flame markings, became a unique racer with a yellow V-spoiler and chrome triple-exhausts flanking his sides. He actually looked a fair bit like Hot Shot, Override thought, and his transformation scheme was similar. Huffer, a yellow-and-gray Autobot, became a tiny semi cab. Lastly, Mirage, a blue-and-white Autobot, became a Ligier JS-11 Formula-1 racecar.

Override grinned. "Well, you all look pretty fast. I challenge you to a race!" "What, even myself and Galvatron?" asked Perceptor. "You got it." "I accept," said Galvatron. "I have been waiting for an opportunity to truly test this mode's speed and maneuverability." "Oh, very well," Perceptor responded, shifting to his tank configuration. The others all accepted. "From here to Seattle?" "Sounds good." They lined up. "Ready, set, GO!" A truly massive dust cloud was thrown up as the racers gunned their engines.

It was a fierce race indeed. Everybody was at their peak. Even Galvatron, whose altmode was the least suited for racing, was putting on quite a turn of speed and pulling insane stunts. The Stunticons were masters at racing, but they found the newcomer a worthy opponent. Years upon years of leading Velocitron, where the culture was dedicated to racing and the planet's ruler decided by a race, had given Override quite the edge. Arcee and Mirage were no slouches either. On and on and on they went, burning rubber across the land. People they passed cheered wildly. Helicopters and planes came to get aerial coverage. All of which served to spur them on even more.

The race ended at Seattle's city limits. The result was a four-way tie between Mirage, Arcee, Override, and Drag Strip. "That was slaggin' awesome. We gotta do that more often," said Drag Strip. The others agreed. It eventually became a tradition: A race from the salt flats of Nevada to the city of Seattle. Just don't talk about it to Ultra Magnus.

The End.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  5. Thunderchild

Awesome, glad to have some folks down for this.

VectorPrime404, I like the sample you provided, I look forward to seeing what you come up. If I dont have all slots full by friday, then we'll just do the little skirmish between you two.

6. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Finished my story.

7. Im No Hero

News Credits:
    What A Wonderful World

salt flats, Nevada

"You know earth really is a wonderful world isn't it hound?" reflected beachcomber as the two raced along the flats on there way to salt lake city for a human-autobot peace conference.

"I have to agree with ya 'comber there hasn't been any con activity in a few months. but..."

"But what hound?"

"But i cant help but wonder what they have been up to. It's not like megatron to just stand idly by and wait. They must be planning something."

"i know what you mean hound, it is a little unusual for megatron to go silent for this long." said beachcomber, to traveled in silence for a short while until they heard something above them, a formation of three jet fighters were far above them, too far for any human eye to discern but the autobots could see, these weren't any normal jets, these three jets were black,blue and lead by a red and white jet.

Hound and Beachcomber stopped to get a better look, and as they stared they saw Starscream drop a large object unknown to the two. this object drew closer to the two, they quickly transformed but it was too late the atom bomb was already upon hound and beachcomber. it hut the ground and detonated into a brilliant flash and mushroom cloud, completely engulfing the two autobots.

several days later

"Prime Prime i found something" shouted bumblebee from the bottom of a deep crater in the salt flats.

"what is it bumblebee?"

"well look," in his hand bumblebee held the charred remains of a forearm formally belonging to Hound. in the hand was a small desert mouse still squeaking with life and fear of the giant robot. "what a wonderful world." thought bumblebee as the other Autobots gathered around to mourn the loss of there fallen friends...

8. Thunderchild

Well, I wasnt going to have you guys post them until i put out the dead line, but since it looks like no one else is going to join, then this will do. The weekend is upon us, everyone try to have some fun, I'll make my judgement on Monday.

9. Robcbh

Robcbh Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well its almost saturday i would have thrown my hat in there, but ill catch the next one for sure!

10. Thunderchild

And the Winner is...

Robcbh look forward to having you in the next round.

Now to the Winner. I enjoyed both enteries, considerable diversity between the two. For the Skirmish Round I'm going to have to deem Im No Hero as the winner. In a considerably short entry he really captured the essence of one of my favorite characters. Excellent job. VectorPrime404, you did a good job... I love how much detail and gusto you put into the description of your characters, but your competetion pelted out a better story.

11. Im No Hero

News Credits:
    well im flattered, but i must ask which is one of your favorite characters hound or beachcomber cause i never really knew mush about either except ones a pacifist and the other loved earth so i thought it would be a sour bit of irony

12. Thunderchild

That would be Hound. I'm a Jeep owner, and I love that he is indeed a tree hugger. But I didnt seect your entry because one of my fav's was in it... I picked it because you captured the nature of the character in a simple and elegant short. Thank you, and I hope you and Vector participate in the next round.

13. Im No Hero

News Credits:
    oh i plan to participate, also ive always enjoyed the darker side of transformers and really enjoyed writing this piece, in fact i almost didnt include the mouse i was originally have them just find hounds head but i thought the mouse would have more of an impact.

and on a side note: if you enjoyed my writing id like to insert a shameles plug for my new fanfic transformers: lost cause. find out what happens when optimus prime finally break and only those who are truly righteous and left to fight the new ultracon cause led by the heinous megatron and the lost prime...