MECH iDEAS Demolition Crue DC01 Apex & DC02 Geminus

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Jigga, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't decide. Toyworld Hardbone or these guys? I enjoy the look of hardbone more and the gimmick is neato, but these guys have fun written all over them.

2. daytimeninja

daytimeninja Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed, they could only really be as wide as the base they sit on, which they already are.

3. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Former Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think you mean Shawk. :D 

4. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just received my set today from TF Source, and after fiddling with them all day, I have to say . . .they're awesome.

The transformation is straightforward, but a nice evolution of the original scheme. The result is a beefy, gorilla-like bot (or two) with loads of character and lots of weapon options. I dig it.

Mech iDeas is an off-shoot of MMC, as apparently one of the designers split off from the main crue (see what I did?) to work on his own, with MMC's blessing and probably logistical support. This project, however, retains lots of the detailed sculpting but in a much more "practical" application. Shit on my HoS seekers and shockwave just plain BROKE. Transforming them was a PAIN. There was no where to really grip the figures to do the intricate tranformation motions required, the tolerances SUPER specific, and the figures did not feel . . .fun. They looked good but I want to leave them on the box and just look at the art. The Demolition Crue . . . man, they are FUN to fiddle with. Lots of play value, great display pieces, and they're cheap to boot.

Kudos, and hopefully the lessons learned are seen in future MMC and M-I products.

5. fujikuro

fujikuro Well-Known Member

Mechageezer's (that's me) Toy Ramblings - Mech Ideas Apex and Geminus review

[​IMG]

Here you go, folks. A fairly in-depth review of the new Mech Ideas releases. I hope you enjoy it!

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Very cool.

7. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just got mine today! Love them! But I have a quick question for others that preordered: did you get the extra head for Geminus? Because I surely did not. If so, how did it come packaged? Thanks.

8. orionpax636

orionpax636 What the...?

News Credits:
    I would contact your seller. I bought from TFSource (I didn't preorder) and they taped the extra head to Geminus' cardback - I think a lot of sellers still have the head and are just including them as a courtesy.

9. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok. Thanks for the info.

10. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MI knocked this out of the park. These 2 are wonderful toys at an amazing price. The feel is solid. Transformation is fun. I couldn't be happier with the purchase. I'm a twin so I am very partial to the twin-type toys. I would go bananas for the bot and con clones.

11. iphdtd

iphdtd The Wolfman's Brother

If tfsource still including the 2nd head?

12. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
    All of my recent BBTS pile of loot shipments have included 3rd party merchandise. Each of those 3rd party figures/sets I received had some type of issue. The Demolition Crue thankfully broke that trend. I had no issue with either figure and am very happy with the product. Very high plastic quality with a solid transformation. There's definitely a WYSIWYG quality with them which I appreciated. If you like what you see in pics/reviews, they're definitely recommended.

I think what I like best about these are the head sculpts. I also like that the hammer doubles as a tank turret in alt mode, which looks especially good on notTwinTwist with the hand guns on either side. I like keeping the undercarriage hammer storage "engine" space empty on his alt mode too so that it seems like it's room for all the debris to exit out from the front drills. Its just nice that there's these options to help further differentiate these two.

13. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Apex and Geminus using Topspin and Twin Twist reprolables and custom Wreckers symbols:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just ordered Apex. Don't care about the fiction so I didn't feel a need for both twins, but the price and positive reviews pushed me to try one out. I like the chunky hover jet alt mode and prefer the headsculpt and color distribution on Apex to Geminus.

Is it weird that the inward shoulder articulation is a huge factor in why I bought this?

16. iphdtd

iphdtd The Wolfman's Brother

I was on the fence for about a week but your review made me finally pull the trigger. Psyched to get these guys.

17. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

News Credits:
    So I ordered these guys on a whim thinking they were pretty cheap for a 3rd party and if I did not like them I could always finish my bashes I started a few years ago.

Turns out, this guys are the SHIZNIT! For $35 ($70 for both) these are 2 of the finest 3rd party products I think I have purchased. The plastic quality is very good and sturdy. The figures themselves have a lot of personality and match the Wrechers comic versions perfectly. The transformation is elegant, especially how the hands fold out and twist around, great ingenuity. As Jigga pointed out, the articulation is fantastic, with shoulders, elbows, wrists, thighs, knees, ankles and waist all movable.

I have to say, if this new company (Mech Ideas) continues with this quality and cost they will put Fansproject out of business. These guys are a decent sized Deluxe Bot whereas the upcoming Not-Stunticons are small Deluxe pushing Scout size for $60 each...uh, you do the math. I'm just glad I am building my own Menasor :)  whereas these guys put my Twintwist and Topspin bashes out to pasture.

Excellent review and if anyone is on the fence, don't wait any longer...get these guys!

18. Fast_Draw

Fast_Draw Pretender

News Credits:
    $30 for both? Where did you get them at that price?

19. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

News Credits:
    I guess I got lucky...I had a $5 credit I did not notice...oops :) 

20. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Bought my set from A3U during a business trip to BC, and when I returned, I found a loose small plastic part in my luggage that seems to belong to one of the figures (same type of white plastic), but after inspecting them, I've never been able to figure out where it was coming from! Do you guys have any idea?

Attached Files: