Mech Alive

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Wollstone, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I was just messing around with my new HFTD Payload redeco of ROTF Long Haul. Couldn't help but notice his insignificant Mech Alive feature in his chest and then I started to wonder if I ever actually thought the feature was noticeable on any of the ROTF figures. I cannot for the life of me recall a figure from the line that had a standout Mech Alive gimmick.

With that in mind, I don't think I would miss this gimmick if it does not return for TF3. What about you? Have you ever took notice to a Mech Alive feature? Would you miss it?

2. Computer5

Computer5 Well-Known Member

i much prefer auto-morph vs mech alive

3. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I don't like Auto Morph either. Some of the figures with that feature can be fragile.

4. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

It was pretty cool on stuff like Deluxe Sideswipe's legs, and the leader class figures talking was counted as mech alive. To be honest, I would probably miss it.
    I absolutely HATE auto morph. Those deluxe Bumblebee legs are annoying pieces of trash.

5. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I liked Mech Alive (especially in Bludgeon), but I wouldn't mind if it didn't return in TF3.

6. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I didn't mind some of them, like the pistons in Long Haul/Payload...but it seemed like a nice little design quirk in some figures and nothing more. Actually calling it out on the packaging of the figures was lame since it implied (to me, and to my little cousins too) something far more dramatic than what it ended up being. The fact that some of the Mech Alive features weren't even marked correctly on the back of the box didn't help matters either in my eyes.

7. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I completely agree. Mech Alive was a nice subtle gimmick that, honestly, didn't need to be advertise on the packaging like it was. While I did say that I wouldn't mind if it didn't return, I would be surprised if it actually doesn't in some fashion, just not advertised as the main gimmick of a line.

8. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

the more you spend,the more mech alive gimmicks are in the toy.

All the ROTF 2009 & 2010 leader sized TF toys used the mech alive gimmicks to the max.

9. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    I didn't even know about Voyager Megatron's Mech Alive (which were the gears inside his torso, I think) until someone mentioned it. I don't really care about these gimmicks, though some can be pretty cool if you actually notice them.

10. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    To me the feature was cool but not anything that made the figures significantly better or more interesting. As long as it doesn't actually detract from the aesthetic or transformation (which in most cases it doesn't, in my opinion) I have no problem with it. I think the ones I liked the best were Voyager Starscream's and Deluxe Sideswipe's.

11. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Not really. They just have some gears and Optimus flexes his man tits.

12. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I love Mech-Alive, especially since it's typically very subtle. It implies gears and pistons are moving as the TF does, giving it a sense of being "alive" (or mechanical equivalent).

13. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I personally loved Mech Alive. It was some big, fragile gimmick like "Auto Morph", it was subtle, like the pieces in the movie. I loved it.

He does that to attract mates, like a bird. Also, yo make himself looking bigger, and discourage potential predators, like a frog.

14. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

Mech alive was cool in the beginning. (Loved the gears in voyager megs' chest), but it quickly devolved into "turn arm-thing in upper arm turns with it" They started putting that into a bunch of toys just for the sake of having it. Then it got lame. If they could have kept up the momentum of some of the earlier figures, it would have been alright, but it got old real fast. At least the automorph kept it different for each toy. I bet they will come up with some all new gimmick for the third movie though.

15. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends on the toy. Anything that ads detail I tend to like (usually as separate pieces).

That being said, Buster Prime would have looked better if his windows were tinted down a bit and we couldn't see so well into his chest.

Honestly, beyond Leader Prime and Megatron, I'm shaky on just what the mech alive features were on most of the ROTF toys I got.

As far as automorph, I did like that it again caused them to add more pieces- but a lot of those really were just too fragile.

16. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

:rock 

:( 

Also, the main figure I recall having a decent mech alive gimmick is ROTF voyager Starscream.

17. TornadoQuakeX

TornadoQuakeX Decepti-Creep

The only good one was Voyager Starscream. When you turn his head, gears on his chest rotated.

18. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Generally I don't mind Mech Alive. At least it wasn't as intrusive as the 'Auto Break' from the first BayFormers line. Really ruined Blackout and still makes me wince when transforming the hoods on the 70s and 08 Bumblebee figures.
    I'd much rather a few little gears or cylinders of mech turn just for show when I turn something else than half a transformation given over to Auto Morphing. Especially when it breaks something on first transformation because the instructions weren't clear enough on which piece to move and how.

Not so fond of the Mech Alive on HFTD Deluxe Ratchet's gun mount though. That's crap Mech Alive.

19. Insecticon

Insecticon I am a Transformers

Ebay:
    Most of the figures in the ROTF line had a mech-alive gimmick that consisted mostly of inner arm/leg turning gizmos.
    I do agree that the best one was Voyager Starscream, although Leader Optimus had a pretty good gimmick also. ROTF Dirge also had a pretty good gimmick where a wheel spins on his chest when you move an arm.
    They are all pretty much subtle things that give the toy just a bit more detail.

Also, auto morph sucks. Especially if it doesn't work the way that it was supposed to.