Meaning behind "Dark of the Moon"

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Tytus, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Tytus

Tytus Well-Known Member

With the recent release of the DOTM trailer, I've been thinking a lot about the title and what it could mean. To sum it up quickly, I do not think the title is referring to this bit we are seeing about the alien ship crashed on the moon. My reasoning is as follows:

First of all, the "dark side of the moon" is the side that is always facing away from Earth. The moon doesn't rotate; you and I have never seen this side of the moon, unless it was a picture taken behind the moon from orbit. The Apollo 11 mission landed in the Sea of Tranquility, which is on the near side of the moon. Even if they had landed on the far side, they wouldn't be able to communicate with ground control because, well, the moon would block transmissions. And I'm sure we're not expected to accept that Buzz and Neil hopped halfway around the moon in 21 minutes. Plus, you can clearly see Earth in the shot of the crashed ship.
    Thus, I think we can confirm that the crashed ship is not located on the far side of the moon.

Now, the phrase "dark side of the moon" can have another definition. It can also refer to the part of the moon cast in shadow by the earth. This "side" of the moon is constantly shifting, giving us our moon phases. I can't think of any significance this definition could hold for DOTM. If you can, please tell.

Now, since the alien ship is not located on the far side of the moon, I can only conclude that:
    A.) There is something else on the dark side of the moon
    B.) The subtitle has another meaning that won't "click" until partway through the film, as it was with Revenge of the Fallen. There's something "dark" belonging to/caused by the "moon". First thing that comes to my mind is dark energon/Unicron, though it's unlikely the new film would play so closely to Prime.

So, since it's not the secret of this ship [unless it's a cross between metaphorical (dark) and literal (moon)], what do you guys think?

2. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Perhaps something else is located there on the dark side of the moon. That sounds like a reasonable theory.

3. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Also, the moon does rotate, so the ship probably has been in the dark of the moon at some point, or will be by the time June 2011 comes around.

4. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I think the trailer clearly shows the ship landed in the "lit" part of the Moon, that's presumably how we knew it was there to begin with, since it's on the side we can see.

I'd say the "dark" refers to whatever escaped from that ship.

No, it doesn't. It doesn't spin on an axis. The same side of the moon is always facing Earth. But the side facing away from us is also not always in the dark either, during a solar eclipse it's the only part of the Moon that isn't dark at all.

5. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

The moon does rotate, yes, but it does so in a way that makes it so one side is always facing Earth.

Google, people. It is your friend.

6. Jolt Customs

Jolt Customs Seacon

or perhaps 'dark' in this case means unknown.
    The Dark of The Moon; The Unknown of the Moon...basically would mean secrets of the moon.

it also has a double meaning just like rotf did (the fallen get his revenge and the fallen decepticons getting their revenge).

So i think it means both that the ship is on the dark side and that it is about the 'dark' secrets of the moon.

7. dazednconfuzed

dazednconfuzed Member

dark of the moon if you ask me simply refers to the secrets surrounding the moon landing within this films context and pretty much summed up in that trailer when they switched off the broadcast and sounds to the public to hide the missions and then stated to the astronauts they were now "dark on the rock" and "mission is a go"

just my thoughts anywhoo

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    'Darkness of the Moon' would've been a better choice if the title were actually referring to something dark belonging to or caused by the Moon.

9. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

I thought it was an old time saying for the changing of the seasons.

10. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
  11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

Cronkite himself in the trailer says that they are on the far side of the moon. That is an actual tape of a real news broadcast. Somewhere or other your info must be wrong, am I right?

12. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Perhaps it just has a metaphorical meaning, as in 'the moon is holding a dark secret' or something. Or perhaps, like Revenge of the Fallen, it can be interpreted as having two meanings (the fallen refers to both THE Fallen, and he who has fallen, ie, megatron). Maybe there is something lurking on the other side of the moon....

13. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
  14. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    My sig makes more sense!

15. Tytus

Tytus Well-Known Member

Just to make this easier for people:
    I thought Buzz Aldrin was advising Bay about these things? Surely he would have pointed out this error. I really hope this gets fixed in the final cut, or the critics are gonna have some ammo.

Because if this is what the title is referring to... that's a massive error. I know this is a universe where a giant robot race exists, but for it also to be a universe where the moon revolves is a little bit of a stretch. Sooo many more things would be out of whack as a result of that.

It's a shame there's an error this big already, but they have time to fix it. Maybe they could say Cronkite was given false information to provide an explanation for losing the feed? The majority of viewers wouldn't challenge this.

Edit: I'm just going to assume Cronkite was wrong/misinformed. The astronauts were clearly on the near side of the moon, with the reasons stated in my original post.

16. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dark of the Moon is another term for New Moon, thats when the sun's light is on the back of the moon, and area of the moon facing the Earth appears Dark to us.

but in this context is can mean dark secret on the moon too.