McFarlene Cyber Units: Buy or not?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Ra88, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Alright, got another dilemma. When I walked into the local comic shop and saw a complete Interlink-6 for sale, I fell in love with it. Problem was that it cost 90 bucks, which I just couldn't pay at the time.

And now the same comic shop sells the new Cyber Units, MOSC, for 17,50 euros (which totals it to 105 euros). Downside is that they don't have 6 of each color, but since I'm a TF fan, wacky colors on combiners don't bother me that much.:wink: 

Of course, some say that the Cyber Units DON'T combine anymore, while the minority says that they still do, and that it's just harder to pull off.:sly:  So: who are right? Cause I'm only going to spend 105 bucks if they still form the Interlink-6, I don't like them individually. And if anyone managed to combine them without (massive) alterations, please share a pic or two.:wink: 

2. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well...they do and they don't. I managed to get 5/6 of the figures combined (couldn't figure out how to get the "Battle Unit 001" into 'arm' configuration).

- The individual toys have all of the pieces that are needed to combine the figures together (note that the "Viral Unit 001" comes with the face mask for Interlink Spawn, even though that piece can't be used with the Viral Unit), but the display stand that was packed with the original releases isn't included. While the display stand isn't an essential piece, the combined form is a pain in the ass to keep standing without some kind of support, with the combination of huge backpack, weak hips and narrow feet.

- The combination process, at multiple steps, involves removing pieces of armor from a figure and either (a) adding them to a different location on the same figure or (b) connecting them to another part of the combiner. The problem is that a number of the armor plates that need to be moved around are glued in place on the Cyber Units. It's possible to wiggle/force most of them free, but the support pegs of a few will break (this is particularly a problem with the Viral Unit 001). Conversely, there are a few pieces of armor that come off too easily.

- There are no instructions for, or reference to, the combined mode anywhere in the packaging. I managed to find a few online pictures of the original Interlink Spawn and used those to piece together the majority of the combination, except the one arm. I've got mine separate right now, but I'll see about putting them together again at some point to post pictures.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with these if you don't like the separate figures. The combined form has a lot of kibble, doesn't stand well (especially not without the support stand) and is difficult to put together. I bought them because I liked the individual toys (blue Viral and Defender, the rest green), partially for kitbash fodder, and was interested to see if the combiner actually worked.

3. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Save for money for something better dude like the upcoming TF classics...by the way, you watching the World Cup? ;) 

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    While I have the original, it really bothers me that they dumped the combining. Why? All they would have to add is the stand, and people would buy all 6 instead of 1 or 2. I wouldn't mind having another one in some other color. As a huge, kick-ass figure, he rocks and is very imposing, but the lack of a stand would make it hard to pose.

It doesn't make any sense.

If you do try to combine them, last time I checked the instructions for the original were online at spawn.com.

5. Scantron

News Credits:
    Ah, excellent; they're still up there under the 'Series 18' banner. I think I'll take another crack at the combination on my set tonight, but the left arm might be an issue, as I think the shoulder armor is glued in place. Will post some pictures if it works out.

6. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    That's the problem: I'm not even sure that they will be around that long.

And just the matches involving Netherlands, even though we will last, oh 2 rounds if we're lucky?:redface2: 

And thanks for the info Scantron! Going to wait for your pics and then decide, I want to see what the new Interlink looks like before I make up my mind.

7. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    GAH, doublepost

8. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Hmm.

I had the original Interlink 6, but eventually disassembled him and sold him off. I miiight have been suckered into buying another set this time around, but since they don't 'officially' combine, I dunno.

Some of the individual figures were/are pretty sweet so I may still pick some up. I like the red and blue, so of course, all I saw today were the Mint Chocolate Chip green. :redface2: 

9. Scantron

News Credits:
    Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Full Body

[​IMG]

Left Arm

[​IMG]

Left Leg

[​IMG]

Right Arm

[​IMG]

Right Leg

[​IMG]

Torso

[​IMG]

10. Scantron

News Credits:
    Decided to split this into two posts...

Notes

- The figure can stand on its own, but only with very careful balancing and not for long periods of time (I have the jet pack leaning on my printer). The weight of the torso is far too much to be supported by the legs.
    - I broke a number of pieces of armor off of all six figures detaching the necessary bits that needed to be removed to form the combiner (note that the left hand only has one of the finger pieces...the attachment peg on the other one snapped). Most were glued into place and a lot wouldn't budge without applying enough force that the attachment pegs snapped. I'm surprised they actually went to the trouble of gluing everything down; seems like it would have been less expensive to leave the armor easily removable.
    - Speaking of the armor kibble, a number of pieces don't attach very well, with some too tight and some too loose. I had to modify a few pegs/holes with pliers/screwdrivers.
    - The multiple small arms conneted to the torso get in the way of each other a little.

Overall, I don't mind the appearance of this mode and I think I got a decent colour distribution on mine. However, the atrocious stability is a huge pain in the ass. I'm going to be disassembling this as soon as possible, reattaching the various armor bits with superglue and just leaving the Cyber Units as individuals.

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

12. omega knight

omega knight Chibi lancelot launch

News Credits:
    is interlink 6 a transformer? or not what the heck is it im confused

13. zotmogronn

zotmogronn TIGER JAWS OF DEATH.

Looks like Transtech: Unicron's minions. lol

14. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    2 rounds!? Dude, the Dutch may be in a tough group but I have faith they will do well for the upcoming World Cup! :thumb 

With regards to the toy, I still think you should save your cash and spend it on the other stuff. The toy in combined form has quite a few problems. E.g. not able to stand properly etc.

For those who are seeing this toy for the first time, its not a transformer but from the Spawn series. The reason why its so famous is because of its combining gimmick.

15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a Spawn toy.

16. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Are you kidding me? We might have a good offense, but our defense SUCKS! Even the coach said so (of course, he refuses to recruit members of the Junior Team, the ones who actually WON the championship a few weeks ago:rolleyes2  ).

Er, yeah, back to topic. Thanks for the pics and tips guys, especially Scantron. It's really way to bulky for it's own good, and I always thought the chestorb of the headborg became the face, not that weird mess of wires.:redface2:  I think I'm going to buy a few figures though, some of them look awesome after all.:thumb 

Thanks again, you may now use this thread for random Cyber Unit pics if you wish. :tongue:  :wink: 

17. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Yeah, I get your point...defense has always been one of Holland's weakness...one that has prevented them from going to "next level".

18. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Do NOT get Interlink 6. One of the jet booster packs was broken when I took it out of the box and unfortunately it's one of the pieces connecting hip to the leg. I tried gluing it with gorilla glue, which is supposed to be the world's strongest glue (or so it advertised) and didn't work at all. I gave up on the whole thing when the legs of the cyber that is the right leg of the whole thing snapped apart when I tried to force the peg inside the hip hole. Definitely not worth the $50 I paid for.

19. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I was pretty amazed that we almost got into the finals with the European Championships, though. If it wasn't for Greec (I think?), we could have perhaps even made it.

That's another reason why I was hesitant to buy it: McFarlene may advertise their figures as statues, but they are sure as hell not as tough (or even regular figures). Makes up for the eyecandy, I suppose.:banghead: 

20. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Dude, it was Portugal that knocked yr team out in the semis...anyway, don't want to go off topic so all the best to Holland in the World Cup!