mcfarlane figures--love 'em or hate 'em?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by ckhtiger, Feb 18, 2006.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

every now and then I'm stopped in amazement at the detail of these things. now I can tell that some of them might be nothing more than plastic statues, but if it's of a character you like, I think you'd be hard pressed to do better, especially at a $10 price point. I've gotten the impression though that there's a lot of disdain for his stuff, and I'm just curious why, or are there other people like me who actually do like the figures his company puts out.

2. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Bought a couple not too long ago that I thought were really sweet looking. Got the new version of Redeemer(w/ the Black wings) and the new Commando Spawn which looks really sweet.

3. NSJ23

NSJ23 Binalternator Lover

I probably have more Mcfarlane figs than anything else. I used to love them but now except for a sports figure of one of my favorite or retired players or a really great spawn figure I'm done with them.

4. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

How about take 'em or leave 'em? :p 

I was apeshit for Spawn figures waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when they were new. I mean, when you couldn't find Series 1 Tremor and Overkill to save your mother's life. I bought two of every figure through series 4...and then wised up and traded the sealed series 1-4 for a vintage A-wing.

Got more selective after that and by the time he branched out into movies/sports, I wasn't even buying the actual Spawn stuff anymore until they got to the various comic cover series, of which I bought quite a few. Bought the Where the Wild Things Are, Hendrix, Bob and Doug Mckenzie, Movie Maniacs and some others along the way.
    But I mostly just buy NFL figs now...and that recent Mandarin Spawn redeco, because the original is probably the single best McF figure in all 12 years.

But...NFL Legends series 2 is supposed to have Walter Payton and Payton>Mandarin Spawn. God himself couldn't stop me from getting the regular and variant Paytons, loose and carded at that. After that, then I can leave 'em.

5. shifty02

shifty02 Greetings Programs

His figures are nice to look at, but break just by breathing on them. I mean they don't even break while playing w/ them...the break while POSING them.

Their quality control sucks major ass.

-Shifty

6. Omnibus Prime

Posing? Hell, I'm trying to remember the last McF figure I bought that even had a joint.

:sly: 

*suddenly wishing for McF Dazed & Confused figures*

7. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

I like their movie stuff. I'd still love to see some Highlander figs made by them.

8. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I have the first Cyber Spawn, the six Interlink guys, all of Series 24 and the SportsPicks that are A's/Niners... I also have the Shawn Marion one since he went to my alma mater...

9. Devastator001

Devastator001 Prepare for Devastation TFW2005 Supporter

MacFarlane Dragons

I have collected very little from MacFarlane Toys. The only line I now collect from the toy company are their Dragons. I am very impressed with the progression made with the designs of these dragons, except for the series three of the Komodo clan. Once the line ends, I will no longer collect any toys from MacFarlane toys, nor collect any other dragons. These MacFarlane Dragons are the pinnacle of my collection. I will never find anything like this again for a very long time.

10. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I got one now and again and it stays in package. I got the NHL Seires 1 Kings Gretzky and the weight is so misproportioned that the leg actually wapred and he doesn't stand properly.

But I do have quite a few in package. I have the Hanson Brothers, Bob and Doug, Normal Bates, and various others. Only one I opened recently was Robocop and I'm torn on whether it was a good or bad idea. He looks fantastic but his angles are weak and he flops forward or backward all the time.

11. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    The interlink combiner kicks major ass. I used to collect them all, but I sold all of them to a friend EXCEPT the combiner. He's just too cool.

12. fezool

fezool Well-Known Member

I've never bought a mcfarlane figure. Some look cool enough, but I'm not into statues.

13. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love em!
    [​IMG]
    Esp the military range.

14. Omnibus Prime

I sold mine a while back. It looked cool and all, but I put it together and it just sat there for two years gathering dust as I couldn't do much else with it. I disassembled him, cleaned him up, put everything back in the neatly sliced bubbles/cards and sold him for ~$100 IIRC.
    From what I understand they're about to rerelease it...in three different colors.

15. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    They are stupid, they just sit there! boring!!!! :thumbdown 

16. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Indeed, that happened to one of my Aliens Queen Alien (the large one) and normal Alien figs.:(  Basically, his toys are just there to pose and look good. No play factor involved whatsoever IMO>

17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I love how they look, so much I want to buy every fig they make.
    But room is scarce. Plus I'd be higher than a georgia pine from them stinking up my room.
    Id probably have more if they had better posebilty, but since they don't I buy just the ones I think look truly awesome for displaying here & there.
    Have about 10-15 so far

18. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I only get the ones that mean something to me since they are basicly statues. Which means I have the Akira ones minus the "Kaneda on bike". I also have medievil spawn. Those are the only ones that have appealed to me.

19. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    my sentiments exactly ILoveDinobot..

If i buy a 'toy' i expect it to move and the more movement the better. That is why i love Transformers and Marvel Legends. Good articulation and the look good too.

20. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I like McF figs it was actually the first Jason that got me into collecting. I know ppl dont like them for their lack of articulation but hey if u want articulation buy Toybiz. McF are more of small plastic statues and arent meant to be layed with. If u wanan pose them sure the do that but I have never broken a fig from posing it its all a mather of feeling. I still buy McF figs both Spawns, NHL keepers, Dragons and if they make some new movie figs I like since MM probbaly wont come ot anymore except a series 8 .