McFarlane Cyber Units

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Cheebs, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I've always respected McFarlane toys for their awesome sculpting and painting, but the subject matter just never was for me.

Now they've come out with a line of Robots. I like Robots. So I picked three of 'em up.

The Cyber Units are very much like other McFarlane toys. The detail, sculpting, painting, and designs are all world-class. Articulation and play-ability take a back-seat to visuals and style. And they are quite delicate.

Anyway, here's the three I picked up (I think 6 sculpts exist). Again, no real camera or lights available to me at this time, so I'm making due with the point n' shoot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Upon close inspection they all are 100% robotic in sculpting, but the overall asthetic seems to be skeletons in armor. I guess McFarlane likes the whole "Hell" thing. The fiction behind them claims that they are mass-production models, but if anything they look like something made from whatever was available in the mad scientist's garage. No matter, I like the look.

The "big" blue guy is almost totally a statue. What little articulation he has is hampered by feet that will only cooperate in 1 or 2 positions.

The red guy has decent articulation. If he was a TF people would complain that his legs can't spread, but as a display piece he can give you what you want.

The smaller blue guy can move and balance with TF-level freedom.

Anyway, I've never seen these before so I thought I'd post 'em... And is it me or does the whole huge-shin-thin-thigh look remind you of what Dr Whily might build to fight Megaman if he ever really got serious? :D 

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Thought these were pretty awesome myself , picked 2 up so far, debating on the rest

Sweet pics, like that background board

Played around with the 2 I have, more pics

[​IMG]
    &
    [​IMG]
    Guardian

3. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Awesome shots. Infiltrator and Gaurdian are my favorites by far. Funny you got the same molds as me but with the colors swapped. Gaurdian looks really good in blue. I might have to pick that repaint up.

4. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I daydreamed of getting these until I found out they don't combine straight out of the box like they used to. Why would they remove the big gimmick of them? And with the new multiple color schemes, I'd think combining would only encourage people to buy more of them. Oh well.

5. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Wait... Combine? What what what? Is that what those extra pegs and holes in random places are for? Need info!

6. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I used to have Interlink 6. Threw them all out after I couldn't glue together the booster pack/thigh part of the combiner. Look cool by themselves but parts can be pretty fragile.

7. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

We've had another thread on this, though I'm far too lazy to dig that up.

Instead...

http://www.spawn.com/toys/series.aspx?series=42

Originally released some 5 years ago, yes, they did/do combine, though I've gathered that this time some of the combiney bits are missing, most notably the two poles used to prop him up b/c the unwieldy bastard can't stand for shit on his own.

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Yep, these are the same dudes from the combiner Interlink Spawn line. Except they left out some crucial pieces to make an extremely frustrating combiner even more aggrevating to build.

It's probably one of the most unstable fragile crappy combiners out there. Good luck with that mission.
    Not sure if it's worth putting 15$ down for the rest when you have to put them through all that bending that they're really not made to do. Plus that's alot of stinky figs to air out. lol

Still, it could be fun with a crafty hand I guess.

9. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This thread covers it, with pictures:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=100624&highlight=Cyber+Units

Basically, all of the combiner pieces are present but some of the armor plates that need to be moved around are glued in place. In addition, the combiner is impossible to stand without a display stand; the stand was included with the original Interlink 6 but not with this set.

10. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Cool! Now I have an explanation for all of the hinges and pegs that don't seem to do anything...

11. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Bought Infiltrator, Viral and Defender, and they are all awesome, especially Viral. The guy looks like Megatron on crack! How could that not be awesome?:D 

Of course, Defender's waist broke the next day. Gotta love McF quality...

12. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

That's the problem with McFarlane Toys. They look good in the box, but they're not really meant to be played with.

I have a bunch of old Spawn & Total Chaos figures, and many ended up with broken parts just from posing them.

13. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    I was going to buy them all until I found out about the lack of the combiner stand and the glued in parts...I really wanted to display all 4 Interlink 6's next to each other...Count me among those that would have bought all 18 if they still combined...