Maybe TFP Optimus is meant to be a crappy leader

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Snark, Aug 16, 2011.

1. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prime is an "old war horse" and as Arcee puts it "Primes don't party".

Prime maybe "some what bland, repetitive, over protective, and unaggressive" now, but he may step it up a bit in the future episodes.

As for Ratchet's outbrusts due to the synthetic energon, hit numerous "soar spots" for most of the group, including Prime.

2. lordjimmybob

lordjimmybob Well-Known Member

Maybe we're at the point where we might need new main characters? If you use the same name and similar design but completely redo the personality you will have people who say it's not as good as the original character or it isn't accurate enough. Beast wars introduced a new cast. (There was a Megatron, but he said he got his namesake from the Covenant of Primus... or something.)

3. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We MIGHT need, but Hasbro is clearly much more interested in playing up their legacy characters. Just look at their aligned continuity, it's pretty much aguide book to make sure all future fiction uses the same characters that they consider important.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

Couldn't agree less. As the show has progressed, he's proven to be inspiringly articulate and incredibly noble and wise.

5. Stormrunner

Stormrunner Cry for the Cat's Eye

Isn't there something somewhere that said Optimus was not always on the side of the Autobots?

If that is the case - I think he is keeping something in check - look at Darkness Rising after he gets covered by the Terracons - Bust out - smashing heads then going after Megatron through pure determination alone (and climbing the side of that canyon in no time flat all the while ranting and raving). And Megatron flew the heck out of there.

Then when on the space bridge he was rather stoic again, only really defending himself (after starting the initial fight). You have to wonder what would have happened if...

6. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    My only problem with Optimus is that he can't hit flying targets to save his life. Seriously this guy needs to spend some time shooting sporting clays or something.

7. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

only reason prime prime is a crappy leader is because he is fighting a war against his former friend

8. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I think he is wise and intelligent [like suggesting Ratchet that he shouldn't try Synthetic Energon on living TFs], but needs to toughen up and lose that self-righteous ways, he is too soft to get this war done.

Damn, why am I sounding like Sentinel Prime right now?

9. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I get the feeling Optimus is stressed by the war, and all of his previous conflicts. He is worn out and wants the war to end. It's been millions of years and Cybertron has not yet been healed, and he wants the best for his planet and his kind. His life as a warrior has been a long road of hardship. His friends have betrayed him, and he is fighting a war against his former best friend. His memories may be clouding his judgement. I feel that he could be a multifaceted character, we just need more time to investigate his past and learn more about him. Season 2 is the perfect time to do this.

10. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    I whole-heartedly agree. There is nothing unique about TFP Optimus. His voice, alternate mode, overall design is from the films, his design is also based on Animated. Yet he is probably the worst Optimus I've seen. He's been nothing more then a Deus ex Machina who leaps in and saves the day, never scolds Miko for his actions, is always "we must rise above ourselves and protect the humans no matter the cost one shall stand one shall fall freedom blablabla". He has to make some speech whenever he is spoken to.

I blame the writers. They are the ones who are writing this bland Optimus and are forcing Peter Cullen to terribly voice him. As things go by and the plot thickens, and delves into the backstory of Prime and Megatron more, I'm sure that Prime will loosen up and have a better performance.

11. Yoakem

Yoakem Well-Known Member

As much as I hate to even entertain that thought, it very well could be true.

What's bugging me is if Arcee become a prime. Arcemus Prime just doesn't work, for obvious reasons. lol.

12. DinoFreakUSA

DinoFreakUSA Well-Known Member

That makes sensce. Maybe Prime is just starting to doubt his ability to lead especially after Cliffjumper's death.

13. updatedude

updatedude Well-Known Member

I'll have to disagree. I think this Prime is fine. He fills his niche.

Is this Prime a party guy? No. Is he a crazy psycho killer? Again, no. Is he perhaps too much of a straight shooter? Perhaps.

Where G1 Prime was the Captain Kirk, Prime Prime's more of the Picard. A little stiff and always formal, but also always courteous and highly observant.

Yes, he was way too speechy in the opening 5 parter, but putting that aside, he's been a pretty good Prime. Not the most exciting, but his role in the narrative is that of the father figure. In that, he's succeeded.

Can this Prime be made exciting and in your face? Sure, if they focus the episodes on him. If they took away screen time from Bulkhead and Arcee, and had the majority of the episodes focused on him (such as they did in G1, Masterforce (kinda), Victory (in that it focused on the leader), RiD and the Unicron Trilogy), then yes, Prime can be made to look very strong if all the stories centered on him. But that's not his job here. His job right now is to stay away so that Bulkhead and Arcee can get the spotlight. For their part, Bulkhead and Arcee HAVE to disobey Prime, 'cause if they didn't, we wouldn't have any story progress.

14. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

This.

I know a lot of people have said that this Optimus is too stoic/boring, but I'd argue the idea that he shows no emotion. He has actually shown quite a bit, especially in the recent episode with Ratchet.

15. Honorbound

Honorbound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Stormrunner: Which would actually be interesting, especially if he learns that said "dark side" isn't all that dark, and should be let out more.

Overlord Balder: The thing about language and certain phrases is that much of it depends on context; Sentinel was trying to justify what he was doing when part of him damned well knew it was wrong. You're wanting Optimus to actually step up and get the job done instead of wimping out and hiding behind a self-righteous excuse.

Chopperface: He's practically a caricature of Optimus at this point. I wish that the writers had taken the time to add something new to him and show it from the beginning, to intrigue the viewer. Instead, we get the cliche, the Standardized Leader, as TVTropes would put it.

Now, enough whining, time for ideas. What would you all do to make this Optimus unique? I personally would give him a heaping load of guilt over Cybertron's destruction, as well as fury towards the Decepticons for driving it to that point. I'd also give him fear. Optimus probably came to terms with his potential death years ago, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't fear the consequences of his failing to defeat the Decepticons, nor is he fearless about his teammates' fates.

Also, I would make him suffer emotionally and physically. One major school of thought in writing is to create a believable, sympathetic, heroic protagonist and make his life hell. He wouldn't get as beat up as Waspinator, but his injuries would be taken completely seriously. A major flaw that I would add is that he absolutely refuses to rest: he runs himself into the ground on a regular basis, and when he is injured, he never stays in bed like he should.

16. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Since the writers have told us Optimus and Megatron were once brothers I would like to see how that is played out before trying to "make this Optimus unique" because you never know what they have planned for each character. Specially because that's a story that if reveled would heavily define both Optimus and Megatron and their link to each other that goes beyond just "the good leader and the bad leader".

17. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Medic

News Credits:
    Snark, you've summed it up pretty well. So far, Optimus is turning out to be a pretty poor leader IMO. I found myself agreeing with a lot of what Ratchet said during his outburst.

This Optimus is too much of an idealist. He is wise in exercising restraint, but showing mercy to Decepticons seems like a piss-poor thing to do given the circumstances. If protecting human life is his primary objective, then shouldn't he do so by any means necessary? Including torturing Decepticons? Get your priorities straight!

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    If he is a crappy leader.....great not another BM Optimus Primal. :banghead

Well they better bring in Rodimus before he kicks the bucket.

19. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I think it's on purpose. The troops disobeying his orders outright and Ratchet's outburst back that up. I think it definitely has potential, to be intentional, that he can't connect to his troops on an emotional level.

20. Honorbound

Honorbound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    UnicronFTW: If that's the case, and with the knowledge that Optimus will get major screen time in the next season, perhaps we are building to a Season Finale where he gets this shoved in his face, giving him a long-overdue wake-up call.

Ratchet's Hatch: That's what I've been thinking the whole series, but this episode, along with Operation Breakdown and Rock Bottom really emphasized it.

Edit: Another, scarier option is that the writers don't understand the concept of leadership; all Optimus is right now is self-righteousness and "epic" speeches, which have nothing to do with actual leadership.