Maybe TFP Optimus is meant to be a crappy leader

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Snark, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably the most common complaint I've heard regarding TFP is how boring and uncharismatic Optimus is. and honestly, I quite agree, the dude is probably the weakest link in an otherwise brilliant cast of characters.

At first, I had always figured the numerous cases of blandness and insubordination from his troops was simply due to deficiencies in the writing or Mr. Cullen's voice acting or direction, but after Ratchet's outburst at Prime, I'm starting to wonder...maybe he actually isn't meant to be all that great of a leader.

As mentioned, his troops, particularly Arcee (who's meant to be his second in command), frequently disobey him. Further, he seems incapable of exercising any discipline on his human wards, and whenever he tries to provide emotional or moral support for his troops, it often feels cold and distant.

With all that in mind, I think that there is at least a possibility that this is all deliberate. Maybe in the TFP-verse, Optimus was a once great leader who is no longer at the top of his game. His troops might still follow him out of loyalty, but the great big elephant in the room is that he simply isn't the leader he used to be. Again, Ratchet's outburst seems to hint that those might have been his hidden thoughts, let loose by his lack of inhibition caused by the synthetic energon.

2. 13DINO

13DINO DINO_JOKER_RX

News Credits:
    I agree.

3. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    He's just upset because he didn't save 15% or more on car insurance by switching to Geico. It's also why he sends out the grunts on every mission, since he can't afford insurance.
    Prime is just a sad panda.
    Okay, on a serious note, I agree, he's VERY boring. They did say this series will explore what it means to be a Prime though, so maybe they'll explore exactly why he acts like that at some point.

4. TheTFReview

TheTFReview XboxLIVE: kpeek

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Interesting thoughts. I have to agree as well.

5. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So Optimus is now kind of this old grizzled leader who's trying to find his second wind or reignite that youthful spark? Interesting.

6. blur3479

blur3479 The most boring member

News Credits:
    I think optimus would do some much better if he had a little jazz to brighten up the place

7. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    He seems more like a Nashville sound kinda guy.

8. LesterX

LesterX Banned

You're right! Where is Jazz?!

9. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

Snark, this is actually a great theory. As you said, not only does it explain his issues with his troops, it explains his general personality and his softness towards the Decepticons.

I can think of a good reason for it: even he doesn't think he's a good leader anymore, not after Cybertron's destruction. He blames himself for failing to protect Cybertron. He's doubting his previous methods and actions, and instead of doing what comes naturally, he puts on this persona of "great leaderTM" that isn't actually all that great. And maybe a part of him knows it.

At the end of Season One, he could either realize it or be revealed to know it all along. His main character arc in Season Two could be about coming to terms with this and rediscovering the leader he used to be, hopefully with a heaping side order of face-ripping badass.

Seriously, there have been moments where he has done awesome stuff: His getting a second wind after the Terrorcons dogpiled him, his stopping the train in Convoy, his charging through a solar ray cannon in Out of His Head. It's there, it just needs to be found again.

10. Dargor

Dargor Well-Known Member

Strangely is just the opposite of Megatron. Megs is actually too hard with their subordinates (something Starscream can say a lot about), treating them like craps and ruling them by pure fear. Yeah, I know this is probably the only way to rule with effectiveness the Decepticon´s business, but sometimes you must temper it with some "bread and circus" to remember your fellow men why is good to have you as their leader (you can take Bill 'The Butcher' of Gangs of New Jork as an weird example ).

11. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Tantalizing if true. I'd really like to see what might have reduced the vaunted Optimus Prime to a lackluster leader. However, I firmly believe that what we're seeing has its roots in the real world, not in the story's events - in other words, Optimus' faults reflect the failings of the creative team and nothing more.

12. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The current Optimus Prime may lack charisma and his troops may lack discipline at times, but I don't really fault his decision making. Ratchet's words about Optimus not finishing off Megatron when he had the chance may have some merit, but I don't really knowthe context in which these events occured.

Optimus is right. If they become too agressive against Megatron, Megatron will retaliate and drag civilians into the fray. If the Decepticons are this ruthless now, what more when things escalate. The Decepticons don't have anything to protect but themselves, the autobots however do (and humans as well). This is made worse by Megatron himself, who especially in recent episodes revealed a selfish tendency to destroy things which he can't have. When he couldn't get the data from the data cylinder, he settled with making sure neither faction has it. I think he revealed the same tendency in Exodus. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it when he realized that Optimus instead of him would be elected as Prime he sparked the great war? If Megatron realizes he can never have the earth, he might settle for burning it to a cinder and flying away in his space ship.

Maybe it would be best if they can kill off Megatron quickly. But so far we've seen Megatron survive a space bridge explosion(and he was next to the space bridge) and a mine collapse on top of him. He gets shot by Arcee and the beams just bounce off his armour. We've seen him almost kill a chemically enhanced Ratchet with a single punch. He's not at all easy to kill. And even if he dies, the Decepticons would probably carry on without him.

As for not killing the miner, I think Optimus does have a point. The autobots are trying to revive their civilization, their culture. They won't be able to do that if they lose their morality/themselves in their battle against the Decepticons.

13. Honorbound

I sincerely hope not.

14. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I doubt any of that is intentional. It feels more like the writers are trying to please the whiny G1 80's nostalgia people with their Optimus, that is why he acts like Optimus during the 86's movie all the time (you know, the only thing nostalgiafags also seem to remember about that wretched cartoon), as far as they know Optimus is supposed to be EPIC ONE LINER MACHINE THAT ONE SHALL STAND ONE SHALL FALL MAN JUST LIKE IN THE 80'S NOSTALGIA RUSSHHH.

There may be a story about the troops conflicting with Optimus about the "Kill Decepticons" deal like the show has been hinting lately, but I don't think they'll flat out go on a "Optimus sucks now" route. Specially because everytime Optimus gets involved he saves the day ( Convoy, Speed Metal, Out of his Head for example)

15. Honorbound

That's another interpretation that makes sense, especially given that there hasn't been anything unique separating this Optimus from G1 so far. It's like they took G1 86 Optimus and turned the volume up, all the while ignoring the rest of Optimus's G1 presence (including Prime Target, where he did go on a one-man rampage, against a human no less).

It's a shame about the nostalgia; I wanted to see something new.

16. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I hope that's true but I think the simplest answer is probably bad voice directing. "Peter, make Optimus sound MORE noble...Ok, now MORE noble than that....Could you make him sound even MORE noble?"

17. Una

Una Well-Known Member

I think Optimus is hiding something. XDD

With all this little hints and speculation, I think in Season 2 we might see his past and see this more untamed Prime.

Maybe all this stoicness and restraint has a reason.

I don't think he is boring or a crappy leader but I do think this Optimus is trying to keep himself in check.

All this Prime doesn't party and Prime never socially hanging with the group. The only one he seems to hang around with is Ratchet mostly.

I think the writers are subtley building up to something big.

Or maybe I'm just being optimistic. XD

18. lordjimmybob

lordjimmybob Well-Known Member

In an article round table I read the creators said they would reveal the past to Optimus and Megatron. They said in the first transformers live action movie Optimus called Megatron his brother. They purposefully made it unclear whether that meant in arms or literally. Since that was never brought up in the next two films (As far as I know) they would like to play with it in Prime. So when/if that happens Optimus might be a bit more interesting.

"The complicated relationship between Optimus Prime and Megatron is something that both fans and producers are eager to examine. “If you remember, Optimus and Megatron were brothers at some point in the mythology, and something happened to split them apart,” Kline said. “That is something we’d love to explore quite honestly, whether it’s in the feature realm on our side or the direct-to-video realm or the series realm. We would love to dig into the back-story of those two characters.”

Orci echoed this, saying the relationship between the two characters has been purposely shrouded in mystery. “In the first movie we almost literally said they were brothers and then decided to keep it ambiguous so we would have the choice of either saying they were brothers-in-arms or literally brothers,” he said. “So that’s something we’ve been playing with even from the first movie.” "

Full story at: CCI | Transformers Prime Panel « Spinoff Online – TV, Film and Entertainment News Daily

19. StarYoshi14

StarYoshi14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When Ratchet was calling out Optimus's BS, I was expecting some kind of reaction from Optimus. Sadly, he immediately went back on the offensive towards Ratchet.

20. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Welcome to my TF fan life! I love new designs but it seems that only the Movie verse was willing to do that instead of HOMAGE HOMAGE HOMAGE HOMAGE