Maybe someone here could help me.

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Lt. Faceless, May 24, 2008.

1. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

How the price system for graded toys/comics works.

I understand that a G.i.joe special(comic) AFAed at 9.8 is $260 and a 9.6 is $100(how do you get a $160 increase by a .2 difference?). not AFAed is $80.00. Those prices just seem to random to me.What is a 10.0 worth? Would a 8.0 bring the value below the non-AFA price? Does the AFA have a set price on the different grades or do they just put random numbers on things and let the market determine the value?

2. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bingo. It's all determined by market conditions and how much a store will try to sell it for. The higher the grade the more it will go for and it jumps sharply when you get 9.8s and 10.0s.

Personally I hate it because comics are meant to be read, not sealed up away forever.

3. Lt. Faceless

I always thought is was pointless to grade comics too.No matter what grade,a graded comic is worthless to me.

4. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

I agree on the grading being troublesome but if I had a really old important issue like lets say avengers #1 or fantastic four #1, I would get them graded no matter what to prevent them from the possibility of getting further damaged. Yeah, a bag and board is great but if you pay the cash for a big book like that, I think you may change your mind on book grading...atleast for the old money books that are rare and very important. I would consider myself a fool if I had a detective 27 and not get it graded, but I would never even think about getting the newest issue of detective graded. I can't see why getting new books graded is supposedly smart....look at the print run on these new books compared to the old stuff, just no way. I don't collect comics for money or any of that, but I do have a few old books like hulk 181,giant size xmen that I would like to get graded to insure they stay in the condition that I purchased them in. The grading points system is suppossedly whack at least when prices are involved.

5. Lt. Faceless

Books like that i could understand protecting.I only have 1 book i would consider grading..Secert wars#?(the first app. of the black suit spiderman).The idea of never being able to read it again turns me off from the whole thing.

6. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I have 4 comics graded. All are because they are duplicates or signed. I can't get an issue and not have a readable copy. even all my autographed books are duplicates so I never have to actually pull the signed edition out.

7. Lt. Faceless

Thats another thing i'm curious about.Signed books.A graded company(i forget the name)said that to get a book graded as a signed book.You had to have proof that it was signed and they cross-reference it with said artist real signature.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

All determined by the market--in this, eBay is basically the standard. Least, that's what I use. It's not a perfect system, but it's workable for me.

And just 'cause I'm curious, are you really a LT? Mebbe at Bragg?

9. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Well CGC has their Signature Series in which someone from CGC will witness the signing. Otherwise if it's already autographed, they grade it as if there were no signatures on it but will write on the tab that there is writing on the front cover. That's what my Daredevil #1 is. It says 9.0 with 3 names written on the cover. (those names being Palmiotti, Quesada, and Smith)

10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i don't own many comics, but i have a few that i would grade- just because they are books i bought my dad.
    I have 2 old issues of Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos- one is a super size issue that came out the very day my Uncle died in Vietnam- and i have issue number one of The 'Nam.

all my other comics are reading material. at the most, i would like to put them in a sealable storage container for my kids later, but not grade em.