Maybe robot live action movies are fatique now?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Theoutcast87, Apr 21, 2018.

1. electronic456

electronic456 Dog of Raw

News Credits:
    @Autobot Burnout
    Gonna have to quote you like this due to the amount of baggage that has been posted to other people.

I'm still gonna classify those movies as robot movies. I'm not reducing the spectrum to just movies about robots punching each other. I know replicants aren't technically robots but I still see them as such. They're a synthetic byproduct of a company that program emotions into those beings. They also shut down....

And surprised that your feelings to A.I. and I,Robot are that harsh. Especially A.I..... I mean not everyone likes that movie but still....

2. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It seems like the Pacific Rim sequel was green lit back in those days when Hollywood thought the Chinese ticket buyers would the solution to all problems. The original Pacific Rim didn't even make back it's budget domestically, it was $190 million to make but the domestic box office was $101 million. That $111 million the original made in China is what seems to have sparked the idea that the next movie could be even bigger in China.

We've seen recently that Chinese ticket buyers are no longer willing to bail out every movie that Hollywood can dump there, but by the time Hollywood figured this out it was already too late for movies like Pacific Rim Uprising.

3. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    So do people if you punch them hard enough and often enough in the head. Just saying.

4. electronic456

electronic456 Dog of Raw

News Credits:
    Replicants are just more mechanical.

5. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Pacific Rim flopped because Tel Toro didnt handle the directing of the second iteration and because it tried what it shouldnt: Become the next Bayformers. Instead of focusing what it made the first film so great litteraly out of nowhere it focused on all wrong aspects, and payed the price.

As to the topic: Robot action movies are just fine and no brake is needed. Those that direct and produce them need to take permanent vacation from the industry though.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jazz1979

Jazz1979 Well-Known Member

Pacific rim uprising was a mediocre movie only. It was also ripped apart by the critics and quality wise is far behind the 1st movie.
    Transformers wasn't great quality wise from the beginning, though the 1st movie at least made sense while all sequels were too fast-paced ,even less substance but more lame jokes and cheesy dialogs.

Good storytelling has been rare in the recent years.
    Now even star wars sucks.

7. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait.. transformers was a movie about robots?..

8. figsdad

figsdad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry District 9 was great.. and had a great story that had Character Development..

• Like Like x 1
  9. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I haven't seen Pacific Rim so far, so I haven't seen the second part either.

I'm usually totally interested in robot movies. But something about Pacific Rim just wasn't appealing. I liked that they looked less like trash but what we saw in the trailers that two people basically play Dance Dance Revolution inside it to make the bot moving seemed silly to me. Maybe it's explained in the movie in a way that I might think "OK then..." and I want to watch both movies, but I usually find other stuff to watch that I rather want to watch :D 

And the Transformers movie? Transformers is my most favorite interest ever. But I'm never looking forward to these movies. I'm also not looking forward to the shows they put out in the recent years. I liked the recent Robots in Disguise, but Transformers Animated was the last really great cartoon.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout War Dog

Basically, in PR the idea is that the way they pilot the giant robots is more through the action of thinking as opposed to pressing buttons and pulling levers like conventional mecha (Mazinger Z, Gundam, etc.). However, due to the size of the robots, the load this puts on a single human brain is too much and it renders them at best catatonic. Thus, they need two human pilots who can achieve some kind of stable connection through the brain-reading system to jointly shoulder the load and thus be able to control the giant robot together.

11. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Japan has been making robot movies for years.

12. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Power Rangers isn't strictly a robot franchise. The stars of the show are the Power Rangers themselves, they use robots. They also use melee weapons and martial arts - the Zords are a big draw though.

Yatterman I'm pretty sure is in the same boat, the robots are just stuff the main characters use. And that Robo-G thing looks more like a comedy about some totally inept robotics engineers convincing someone to pose as a robot. See also, South Park's Awesome-O.

Al is not a robot. He is an arcane construct with the soul of a dead person bound to it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

With Hollywood films we mostly have some sort of robotic sidekick like R2-D2 or BB-8 in the Star Wars movies. Even in the villain category someone like Ultron is pretty rare even though robotic bad guys gets around the problems of you can only go so violent when it's organic bad guys and robots lack a nationality so you aren't offending anyone in a nation where you want to make money with the film.

While there is always some rumor about the attempt to get a mech movie off the ground it seems like Hollywood really has trouble taking that risk. Doesn't help that Pacific Rim 2 doing so poorly is going to discourage anyone else from going mech any time soon.