Maybe robot live action movies are fatique now?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Theoutcast87, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Theoutcast87

Theoutcast87 Well-Known Member

Pacific Rim Uprising is flopping in the cinema. Maybe it's time to take a break from robot live action movies?

2. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku I love both Nemesis Prime and Anime!

I wouldn't say that the problem is there's too many live action robot films, but more so of, people don't like the current films. As far as I know, Pacific Rim and Transformers are the only live action robot film out right now. I'd say give the public a couple of years to cool down, and forget their negative views, only to come back full force and blow people's expectations outta the water!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:
    Or they weren't that intriguing/good? I didn't care for Chappie or Pacific Rim personally.

• Like Like x 5
  4. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

Budget: $150-176 million
    Box office: $281.4 million

Okay, this is really, really sad... But then again, pacific rim: uprising is not a good movie either..

5. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    Bad robot live action movies are flopping in the cinema.

• Like Like x 2
  6. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say there's a fatigue of giant robot films. There's really only Transformers and Pacific Rim, both of which only hit every few years. Compare this to superhero films, which get multiple movies in the genre every year (we're probably getting about five or six superhero movies a year now). If audiences aren't fatigued on that yet, I don't think they're fatigued on giant robot movies.

I do think people are getting a bit fatigued on Transformers movies, a lot of people in the general audience view them as kind of repetitive. Hopefully the Bumblebee movie changes that.

I don't know why the Pacific Rim movies don't do well. I really enjoyed both so far, I think they're both really solid movies, and extremely enjoyable. The problem isn't that people dislike them, the problem is that not very many people even watch them. Maybe they're just not being marketed well, or don't have enough name recognition.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Pacific Rim Uprising is flopping because it sucks. Transformers 5 flopped because it sucked.

People need to stop looking for alternative excuses to poor box office performance.

• Like Like x 11
  8. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was hoping that due to Transformers being a big hit, Hollywood would be scrambling to get other giant robot movies out there. We should have had a Gundam, Voltron, Robotech, Tranzor Z, live action film by now. But we only have Pacific Rim. Strike when the fire is hot! Clear up any development hell issues there are. But now with Transformers 5 flopping and PR2 not doing so good, the interest is probably not there anymore.

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Well the first Pacific Rim movie didn't exactly set the box office on fire with $101 million domestically and $309 million from the rest of the world. There was always some questioning if a sequel was actually a good idea or not.

Transformers might have gone to the well one too many times so it's not clear that you can really blame it on robots when a more likely culprit is not enough change between films to keep people's interest.

Other than that there isn't exactly a flood of robot movies out there to pick from. Even TV is pretty light on robots so you'd need something like West World or Lost in Space to go oh hey robots.

I guess to put it another way think back to before we had the big superhero movie boom. Was it really that people didn't like superheroes or where films like Catwoman and Steel just really bad movies? It's like saying the sky is falling for superhero movies because Fantastic Four flopped only to have Marvel/Disney go on to even bigger box office domination.

10. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    How can there be genre fatigue for a genre that has all of two franchises in it? Aside from one off indulgences like Chappie and that woeful Ghost in the Shell movie, Pacific Rim and Transformers are basically it.

I’ll maybe accept that when I’m staring down the barrel of a year full of movies like Macross, Mech Warrior/Battletech, Gundam Wing, Exo-Squad, and Zoids and wandering which one is going to blow up in my face and suck.

• Like Like x 2
  11. electronic456

electronic456 Dog of Raw

News Credits:
    Even if it's a good robot movie like Ex Machina or Blade Runner 2049, it can still flop.

These days word of mouth is a strong aspect but something like marketing also needs to sell.

12. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Finally! I thought I was the only one who didn't like Pacific Rim.

Hollywood have gotten lazy. There's no originality these days.

All the spaceships have an organic look to them as in the TF movies and Avengers.

Alien armour tends to suffer the same fate. Generic Transformers look like the aliens in the first Avengers movies.

Man of Steel had similar designs.

There's too much emphasis on comedy in sci fi too. The first TF movie was genuinely funnier than most modern comedies but all the sequels were overdone and just felt forced.

I miss the space ship designs of the 80s and 90s. The liquid metal ship from Flight of the Navigator still looks great. And no one would confuse a Borg Cube with a ship from another franchise.

Movies used to be events. They're just soulless money spinners now.

Characters and concepts are rendered unrecognizable. None moreso than this franchise.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say people are tired of robots, more so that they're tired of robots that all look the same. There was a time when robots in movies were unique and easily recognizable but lately it's like they all share the same generic boring designs that are not totally identicle but similar enough that they no longer stand out anymore but instead just blend together.

There is a visual difference in design and style from Transformers cartoons that makes them stand out, but the movie designs don't do that which is part of why they're so bad.

• Like Like x 1
  14. transf0

transf0 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What about 2, 3 (decent film I guess), and 4's success? TF2 definitely didn't have good WoM but it did really well in the US.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    The fact that those movies included robots had nothing to do with their financial returns.

16. electronic456

electronic456 Dog of Raw

News Credits:
    Exactly.... I never emphasized the inclusion of robots as part of the finical problem.

But the point is...

You're saying movies like PR:Uprising and TF5 flopped simply because they were bad movies.

And then the movies I mentioned were considered good movies and they still flopped.

I'll add more to the list, A.I. Artificial Intelligence; I,Robot.... Neither of those movies did particularly well.

So in the end, I'm so confuzzled with this dilemma. My best guess to this problem is the marketing appeal.

-Judgement Day was successful but so is a movie like ROTF.

17. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    has there ever been an instance of piloted mech or robots being huge hits to the general public? Pacific Rim in that regard is probably the first of its kind in live-action cinema since Robot Jox from the 80s. i mean anime fans, piloted super robot fans and kaiju fans may love them. but i don't think the general public quite get them yet. this is where marketing comes in. unfortunately, the marketing only shows us giant robots piloted by cocky han-solo-ish jocks fighting giant monsters that come out of the sea. woop-dee-doo.

at least with artificially-intelligent and sapient robots - alien or Earth-made, we know, given a good to decent story, the mainstream would embrace them. movies like Short Circuit, Robocop, Terminator 1 and 2, and Transformers 2007 were a hit to the general public and entered the mainstream. again, the operative word is a good to decent story.

A.I. was different. it was basically a brainchild of Stanley Kubrick but was later on handed down to Spielberg because kubrick thought that was more of spielberg's specialty. A.I. was actually a pretty good story, but it's not action-packed. it's a serious sci-fi post-apocalyptic drama so its box office would be limited. this is not a movie for teen-agers or action fans. it doesn't have lasers or explosions or high-paced action, but just a story of humanity and unconditional love, so it's more in line with stories like "Gravity" or ET or 2001 Space Odyssey or Interstellar.

I, Robot. this is a pretty interesting movie that was based on Isaac Asimov's book. but look at the faces of the robots? i'm sure there's a reason/explanation for it, but the movie could've probably taken creative liberties and chosen a more inspiring design than what it ended up with in the movie. put the face of the Terminator skull side by side with the human-faced robots of I, Robot. which interests you more?

and also the title and marketing of "Pacific Rim". if people had no idea what "Pacific Rim" is - if you're not a kaiju fan or a super robot fan or an anime fan, i'm sorry, they'd probably think it's a movie about volcanoes or earthquakes or a movie about Asia. a title like "Voltron" or "Mazinger" may have a chance as it could pique public interest. and the trailers are just that: piloted giant robots beating each other up and fighting other monsters. again, this is where the story and good special effects could come in to compensate and a good marketing campaign. but all that really basically hinges on the estimated profitability of the movie. they'd not be willing to spend more money into it if it's box office take is mediocre.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  18. KingMegatron632

KingMegatron632 Well-Known Member

I can see why they’re failing. Most of these movies don’t have any good or any interesting character development.

The characters range from either assholes or complete utter idiots and that crap just gets old.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pct1theory

Pct1theory Human Alliance

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Did a general audience want a sequel to pacific rim? Probably not. Did the core fanbase want one? Sure. That doesn't translate into dollars and that first film hit the bottom dollar amount of considering a sequel. I take the sequel as a big gamble to see if they could crank more out.

20. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

Audiences aren't tired of giant robot films, they're tired of hollow CGI blockbusters that only have strong visuals. The stories are often poorly plotted or far too grandiose and ill explained for the audience to really understand and enjoy.

Chappie had so much potential but was ruined by the fact Blokamp wanted Die Antwood in the film purely because he liked their music. They were absolutely terrible actors and I couldn't stand watching them baby talk the robot.

Except the big "master plan" for Transformers was shoving a new film into theatres every year back-to-back, so if robot films aren't working as they are NOW, how is oversaturating the market with films (which Goldner seems hellbent on doing with all the Hasbro franchises at this point because he desperately wants to turn Hasbro into Disney essentially) going to make people want more of the same?

Because Pacific Rim came out when the big CGI blockbuster was beginning to really falter at the box office. You need more than just flashy CGI showpieces punching each other to hold people's attention. Unfortunately, Pacific Rim did buck the trend because it actually DOES a good job illustrating a world hit by repeated monster invasions and humanity losing the war of attrition. It has interesting characters and while it has big monster fights, all together the Jeager bits in total probably only take up a third of the whole film.

PR Uprising, which was not directed by the same guy; Del Toro (who pushed Pacific Rim entirely for his love of Japanese giant monsters and giant mecha), so it lacked his passion as well as his directing skill in factoring in the smallest details that sell the setting. The designs for the Jeagers also kind of are a regression as they all do look like the same design with different body proportions - compared to how the four main jeagers of PR were all noticably different in design (one had THREE ARMS and a SHOCKWAVE head) which fit their intended combat styles. It also pretty much killed off the protaganists of the first film almost as if just to get them out of the way as opposed to actually having them be part of the main story, as well as developing what the Kaiju were doing a little too far (they were wrecking humanity's shit on their own pretty efficiently, the whole part about them needing to attack volcanoes seems to be kind of unnecessary). Essentially; yes, PR Uprising has the giant robots and the kaiju, but it lacks more or less everything that was otherwise actually good in Pacific Rim.

The problem is that you have people who don't think these films suck and seem to actively avoid trying to understand how what they like is considered awful by the general moviegoing public. Thus they try to come up with alternative reasons as to why the majority of the human population don't share their opinions.

Personally I can't wait until the day (which I admit may never come) where we get an actual, critically acclaimed Transformers film that does the series justice...because the people who like the Bayformers films are almost certainly going to hate it!

I don't think you understand - we did get a live action Gundam. The actual guy who created Gundam did not support this film, preventing them from actually using the Gundam name, so they went with this instead:

[​IMG]

This film is infamously garbage and mocking G-Savior is so commonplace that the only other thing related to it that is just as common is people pretending this atrocity of a film doesn't even exist.

Because of this, there hasn't ever been a live action Gundam film adaption since which is probably for the best. That said, Bandai did recently announce the planning of a live stage show based on Gundam 00, to which the only rationale for that I can give is "it's Japan".

I am grossly overexagurating here but the closest comparison I can draw to Voltron is the Power Rangers with how the Zords traditionally combine, and the Power Rangers reboot film didn't go over so well. Given how out of touch writers seem to be with these franchises, I don't doubt the Voltron team would have been treated nigh-identically almost to Power Rangers.

Plus, we got Voltron: Legendary Defender on Netflix, which was actually pretty good. I'd rather take THAT over a crappy live action adaptation any day.

Nobody wants to deal with Harmony Gold's shit so long as they still hold the rights to American distribution of that franchise.

As much as I don't like saying this, Mazinger Z probably isn't the best for live action translation. I mean, the dude flies a little hovercraft into the head of the robot, not exactly the most exciting docking sequence ever devised. And then there's the issue with Mazinger Z's villains which are...entirely foreign to American audiences.

And that's because the age of the hollow CGI summer blockbuster is over. You can't just have fancy looking images anymore, not if the supporting plot is trash.

Those aren't the same kind of robot movies as Pacific Rim and Transformers - one is about human scale artificial intelligence, the other isn't even about robots (Replicants are really more like tailor-built human clones even in the original Blade Runner).

Super-streamlining and aerodynamic looks usually are staples of sci-fi so I wouldn't go so far as to say it's out of place - hell, if we're being picky the Millennium Falcon is little more than a literal flying saucer with two protrusions in the front and a little capsule glued on the side. I do agree that going back to more blocky 80s style wouldn't hurt, though - something that Thor Ragnarok actually did a bit of which was quite nice.

That's more a problem with the tone in Transformers films - for whatever reason (probably due to the fact every bloody TF sequel has the exact same objective of "screw over Planet Earth and the humans"), they have to be SUPER SERIOUS about the nature of the plot, while cramming in stupid shit like the romeo and juliet card crap to make the humans 'relateable' and so the audience will like them.

I do agree with that as well - AoE introduced this completely idiotic idea that the Transformers have to be significantly more humanoid in appearance to the point of stripping them of recognizable kibble. As if in complete ignorance of the fact the vehicles are supposed to be alien bodies recongifured to blend in as vehicles, not magically turn into them. It also sacrifices the relationship between the alt. mode and the character purely because of Bay's fixation on expensive european cars - on what planet is a Lamborghini considered material for a hot rod? And Prime's AoE design is utter trash because the whole point of him becoming a truck is because in robot mode, the boxy lines and the strength of a semi are supposed to represent how he is strong and powerful. The original movie design nailed this, even working in his signature cab chest despite not being a cab-over. His "knightly" design is more organically rounded, which suggests agility but sure as hell not power and strength compared to hard geometry.

...because they were? I mean, if you broke down their plot, they are truly god-awful and don't make a lot of sense. The films themselves are just flashy visuals trying to hide a shitty plot.

Those films were also pretty shit. I know, I watched both in theaters (something I regret because I wasted money on that trash).

Judgement Day, which again isn't necessarily even the same kind of film as Transformers, is the most beloved of the Terminator films because while the original is good in its own right, the sequel makes Arnold the hero (ironic considering that he was actually supposed to be the good guy from the future in the first film, but the director thought he made a better Terminator during filming) while the new bad guy is the absolutely insane T-1000 which could adopt new guises as well as negate most damage by being liquid metal somehow. It's basically Terminator vs Terminator, but also has John Connor essentially looking up to the T-800 as a surrogate father, and the scene where the T-800 tries to smile is freakin' hysterical. That's important, because where the first film had the Terminator as a pure monster, the sequel actually took the exact same robot more or less and humanized it.

Plus, Terminator as a franchise isn't doing so hot after Salvation was a tire fire and the less said about "Genysis" the better.

With the exception of TF2007, you know what else those films don't do? Have the planet be at stake should the good guys lose. The stakes are far less than Transformers redlining at "oh now the Earth is fucked AGAIN" in comparison. And even in TF2007, if Megatron got the cube, the Earth wasn't immediately screwed over, as it would be in every single sequel, so even there the stakes are lower, even if it's a faux feeling as such.

• Like Like x 2