Maybe not a BB problem- maybe lack of interest?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by bellpeppers, May 16, 2012.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I'll be more than happy to be wrong about any of this.

We all like to discuss the saturation of Bee's out there. While some people out thewre report empty shelves, others still report that not only is Bee building up but so too is Wheeljack, Cliffjumper... some are saying Ratchet and I am noticing a figure that has flied off the shelf as soon as it came out of the box: Soundwave.

Now in the past it seemed to take longer for the shelves to build up like this.

And just the other day, I saw what I would have thouhgt to be 2 in demand figures: Voyager Starscream and Voyager Bulkhead. Now, even if little kids have to save up for weeks to buy one of these then surely an adult collector would have nabbed them.

To my knowlege they are still there.

So what's up out there?
    Economy perhaps? Maybe some- but figures have sold during tough times before.

As far as I know, the soundtrack score still hasn't been released.

TF toys in my area have been moved from the more "PRIME" spots to more pedestrian locations.

2. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have yet to see any new voyagers at the stores around me. I haven't checked the closest Target in a few days.

One walmart near me only has 1 voyager. Another has 5 or 6 megatron/optimus voyagers. One store has just a couple bbs on the shelf but another has packed pegs. I really do think it depends on the area right now.

Arcee, Ratchet, and Soundwave seem to fly off the shelves when they appear still. I've only seen the vehicon wave once (no vehicon).

Unrelated: A supercenter put out a case of HFTD deluxe figures (Sea attack ravage, ironhide and more). 11.88. I imagine those could be sitting there for a while.

3. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

I would think most adult collectors would have gotten First Edition Starscream and Bulkhead instead of their mainline counterparts, or gotten their Cyberverse Commander counterparts. Personally, I haven't seen much of any other Prime Deluxe figures other than Bumblebee and Cliffjumper with a light sprinkle of Wheeljack, plus at least three cases' worth of wave 1 Voyagers. That, or a bunch of First Edition Bumblebee, a couple of both entertainment packs, and just recently quite a few Deluxe Starscream. So...maybe? I'm content to wait until Deluxe wave 3 hits, skip Bulkhead, and consider Starscream if he goes on sale maybe.

4. Tracer

Tracer _

News Credits:
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if this line isn't taking off as they had hoped. There is still a big chunk of the population without the HUB. To those kids this might as well be Generations.

5. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    They really need to get prime on Sunday morning cartoons. These cable only shows just don't do as well.

6. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

I still have yet to buy any primes. Waiting to get fe bulkhead, vehicon, insecticon, airachnid, anddreadwing

7. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Actually seeing a variety of product on the shelves means it's not selling?

8. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    In my area, voyagers seem to be moving fairly well - except at TRU where they cost $26.99 versus $19.99 at Wal-Mart or Target. Have only seen wave 2 of the Voyagers at a couple of Targets outside my area - the first time, I snagged Bulkhead and Starscream as they were being unboxed; the second time I saw a lone Starscream and that was it.

As far as deluxes go, we've only got wave 2 so far. Bumblebee is of course the most prevalent, but there are also a few others - Ratchet and Wheeljack mostly with the occasional Arcee or Soundwave. Cliffjumper is gone most everywhere but at TRU - again I figure the higher price is a factor. But in all places, it seems the supply of deluxes is slowly dwindling - for all characters.

Bot Shots look to be flying off the shelves, as do Cyberverse - only a few Bumblebees are left, mostly.

The big shelfwarmers really seem to be the leftover movie toys.

9. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, all of this is very subjective. Interesting to discuss, but subjective. Some of it may have something to do with the fact that TF Prime is not a mainstream show for kids on Saturday or Sunday morning, but many have access to the HUB and it has even won an Emmy (not that Emmy=viewers, but at least an indication of notariaty). I am sure some of it is the economy and I think the economy is slowing down the product reaching the shelves which may make it look like things are shelfwarming longer, when it is just an illusion since many of us check the shelves often and see the same things on the shelves on a regular basis :2c: 

10. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For what it's worth, in my area:

Starscream and Bulkhead, along with Deluxe Wave 3 and Cyberverse Commander Wave 2, are either selling immediately or just haven't made it to stores around here yet because I've yet to see them and neither has my sister (who's been looking even more frequently than I have lately because she wants a Bulkhead).

I've yet to see Soundwave at retail and she's only seen him once.

Neither of us has seen Deluxe Ratchet and she's only seen Deluxe Arcee once.

Deluxe Bumblebee and Cliffjumper are common and Wheeljack is more frequently available

Bot Shots and Cyberverse (Legion and Commanders) seem to be moving frequently.

I can't tell with Voyager Optimus & Megs if they're slow to move or if stores are just restocking them quickly. Walmart is the only place where Voyager stock is spotty, but my Walmart has been really weird about stocking any Voyagers consistently for some time.

Out of curiosity, what do the scores have to do with anything? I don't know about actual CD releases, but both the DotM and Prime Scores have been released on iTunes for a while now.

I have noticed that Transformer toys have been shoved off to the side in toy aisles at the major retailers, but with Avengers and the Star Wars push (and Spiderman and Batman forthcoming) and no Transformer movie this summer, I'm not surprised.

11. AMG

AMG Old School

The Walmart in my area (NY) is clogged with TFP deluxe figures, but the voyagers seem to sell pretty fast.

12. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Good point about The Avengers. Something to consider there. However, in my region at least, TF's held the good floor space even during non-movie years with other toy competition.

However I bring up the soundtrack CD not being released to suggest an overall decline in Transformers interest- not just the toys.

Someone suggested that The Hub not being in every home might play into it some. But I'm starting to think that TF's are no longer hot like they have been. Maybe it's due for a lull so that it came come back again.

13. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I don't think it's really that farfetched to believe Transformers is starting its decent from the top of the toy chain. The Transformers have dominated toy shelves since 2007. I really can't recall a toy line other than maybe Lego or Star Wars that stays on the shelves consistently and with a huge amount of retail space.

As many have mentioned though, I really think the limited reach of the HUB isn't helping matters. I wish I had statistics, but I have to imagine that the amount of kids who have access to the HUB or less than what Hasbro executives would like.

14. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh okay, I see what you mean about the CDs...I guess with the move away from buying CDs to just buying random songs and albums off of iTunes, releasing scores (of any film really) in CD format is much lower on the totem poll than it used to be, I imagine. Maybe if Steve Jablonsky had wracked up Oscar nominations for his scores there would've been some consideration to going the extra mile (Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings scores got really nice box set releases for the extended versions of each film).

I do agree with the perception that Hasbro's inability to get The Hub on every cable provider is a problem, because with the lack of another movie in the immediate future, they'll be relying largely on The Hub to promote their products and right now it's not in every home. Perhaps in a year or so they'll take steps to rectify that with cable providers, but in the short term could that be hurting the popularity (and by extension, sales) of Transformers merchandise? Yes, I think them taking a hit is certainly possible and that could play a part in what we're seeing now.

Right now, I think sports is the only programming that is in demand (live programming that people want to watch as its happening...I can watch a playoff game live tonight and watch Community's or Grey's Anatomy's season finales on onDemand or a DVR tomorrow) and even the new sports-centric TV channels have had issues getting on cable providers (NFL Network had to fight with cable providers to get on, NBAtv and NHL Network aren't standard channels, I just starting getting the Big Ten Network, I think there was a weird issue with New Yorkers not being able to watch Knick games because MSG had an issue with some cable providers or something like that). If sports networks are having trouble getting themselves included with the major cable providers, I wonder how much trouble Hasbro's been having getting The Hub up and running?

As an FYI, I have The Hub, but I don't get the HD channel (I have Charter Cable).

15. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think now that all the Hub programming is on Netflix, that will help a TON. Also: my GF is watching that My Little Pony show... up till last week it was just season 1 on netflix streaming, apparently season 2 ended recently and it immediately popped up on Netflix. so it seems like Hasbro is really pushing this netflix thing, which can only help the toys.

16. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Not necessarily.

I've seen a ton of people passing because they own First Edition Starscream and Bulkhead, or would rather save and get one of those instead of the Voyagers. Those figures aren't going to fly off the shelves when all the collectors know superior versions exist.

Wait until we get a Voyager that is a first-time release for the Prime line and then we'll see how that sells. Right now, its understandable that a lot of people would pass on those two figures, along with Optimus and Megatron (who are both clogging shelves here.)

I agree with the rest of it -- my area is notorious for never having figures, but I keep seeing every figure, including Ratchet and Arcee, multiple times. This hasn't really happened in the last few years, most stuff gets scooped quick by children, scalpers or other collectors.

17. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "flied" <shudders>

18. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    I believe that the interest has died down, plus the stores have ordered too much stuff that is now hanging around on the pegs...making it harder for the new stuff to be put out.

For example, in about a month and a half's time...I was able to get all of the Prime RID and Cyberverse figures. My last figure was purchased on March 31st. So in a month and a half, I have seen NOTHING new in stores, and the pegs are now full of all of the older stuff. Deluxe Waves 1 and 2, both Powerizers, Wave 1 of the Cyberverse Legion/Commander figures. If someone wanted to get a full set of all of the beginning Prime toys, they easily could. If it wasn't for BBTS, I would have NO new Prime toys, but I was able to get Deluxe Wave 3, and the FE Entertainment pack to at least keep my interest in this hobby...which I am questioning my involvement in too much as of late.

Plus when you have crap MOVIE toys taking up the already small space (that being Avengers, and old DOTM stuff), it only makes the Prime spot smaller...and it's only going to get worse. We're going to have Batman and Spider-Man toys taking up more room once their movies are out. Funny how a line from a cartoon can't get any shelf space, when in the 80's THEY OWNED THE SPACE! -_-

Oh well. I guess this cartoon doesn't warrant enough popularity to have toys that disappear from the shelves...besides collectors who buy them (just to resell) or those who actually know about and watch said cartoon.