Maybe Just Inevitable

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by thunder97, Jul 16, 2017.

1. thunder97

thunder97 Well-Known Member

So I was looking at box office news for this weekend, and Spider-Man Homecoming has hollywood shocked with a 73% drop in its second weekend. This is a movie that most professional critics and normal people/fans truly liked or loved. Yet it still takes a historic tumble in week 2 after looking so strong at the box office at first. I think this shows the possibility, that even if TF: The Last Knight was the movie we all hoped for, loved by critics and fans. Truly a great TF movie, I think current movie trends show it might not of made any difference in the end. Its looking like franchise fatigue for established characters/properties/brands is setting in across hollywood. Even a reboot, of these things is hitting major fatigue. So even if we get our reboot TF movie, universe, it just might not matter at this point. As far as bringing the huge box office success back to the Transformers movie franchise. I dont want a break or pause in the TF movies, I still enjoy them. Would enjoy a reboot as well, but reality might not care lol. Just something to ponder.

Yeah that was depressing lol..

• Like Like x 10
  2. Music

Music Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Isn't this the case for every superhero film lately? I wouldn't expect a film to hold up well after the 3rd consecutive reboot anyways.

We'll see the same thing with subsequent Transformers films with or without a reboot if we don't have a break soon.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

Regardless of fatigue from 5 movies in 10 years, the movieverse Transformers has gained quite the negative reputation of being 'as low as mindless action movies get.' A lot of people are just thinking that it'll be more of the same, and won't even bother with the movie. Not that I blame them, given how TLK turned out.

Even with Michael Bay not directing Bee's Brilliant Bonanza, word will still get out that he's producing it, and people are going to continue to expect a sub-par movie. What we need for Transformers movies to be successful is to ensure that Bay has as little bayhem influence in the spin-off, and keep him and diBonaventura the HELL away from TF6, and then take a few years off from releasing movies. If TF6 is successful, or at least deemed a pleasant movie, the public is likelier to welcome another TF movie with no more Bay. If it bombs and Paramount capsizes, then take a bit of a larger break and hand over the licensing to a different studio. And regardless of what TF6's box office predictions are, it needs to be written as an ending to the movies, with a few threads for sequels and/or spin-offs if it's well-received.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan Gotta get to sleep somehow...

News Credits:
    I did expect Spider-man to be doing better, but yeah I think there is a lot of fatigue. Maybe people are too worried about suicide bombers, neo nazis and being poor these days to get too excited about which superhero movie is coming out this week.

I think the MCU movies are all great, the only one I thought could have been better was IM3, but I don't get super excited about them during the hype stage, and I don't even need to see all of them at the cinema.

i don't know what else spidey can do to get people down the cinema, tbh I thought ASM2 was pretty solid, a huge improvement on ASM1, I was a little disappointed that we never got to see the end of that story. And how does homecoming compare to SM2? Is it better? SM2 is a very good spider-man movie.

• Like Like x 2
  5. APB

APB Well-Known Member

Wonder Woman called, she said Spidey was irrelevant.

I think it was inevatable for TLK to succseed, unless it was a sudden critical hit and a huge hit among fans.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    There's a lot of factors in the US really.

General dislike of Hollywood these days. Self explanatory. They piss so many people off it's coming back to bite them.

Also, with Hollywood... if they think foreign box office- China, etc. - can save them, they better think again if they want to cater to them. See what happened to TLK? They thought china was gonna save them again.

Or another example what happened to Matt Damon's Great Wall movie? So, no, Hollywood will have to put a tighter leash on their "talents" if they think they can trash the country and thinking they could rely on China or other countries to prop them up because it's getting real out there for them, with movie ticket sales just keep getting lower.

The spread of streaming on demand TV. Why go to the theater with jackasses that will ruin your viewing experience when 3 months later that same new movie will become available to watch and cheaper at the comfort, security, safety and convenience of your own home.

That's why in order to sell movies Hollywood will have to work harder to please American audiences. Americans will still go out if necessary but given time and resource limitations of the American movie-going public specially in this age where movie tickets could cost as much as $50, Hollywood will have to give them a really, really good reason why they have to get their asses off their couch, put them on theater seats & shell out hundreds of $ in the process.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

A Bay Transformers movie will never be what we all wanted. He just doesn't care enough.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Boneless Pizza

Boneless Pizza Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Homecoming in its 2nd weekend is going against War for Planet of the Apes, which it's a superior movie and it's the last one of the trilogy so there's a lot of hype for Apes. TLK in its 2nd weekend went against Despicable Me 3 and Baby Driver, one of them is an unknown property and the other is a kids movie. Homecoming has more competition than TLK did. And also if there's superhero fatigue, how come Wonder Woman is making a lot money while dropping about 30% each week?

• Like Like x 1
  9. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

wait, you didn't hear? only transformers films bomb..id love to see what spider-man 5 puts up 10 years from now

• Like Like x 1
  10. Super Bumblebee

Super Bumblebee Autobot

Instagram:
    It is never to late to save a movie franchise. All transformers needs is a fresh look at the series and I'm sure they will recover. Hopefully the Bumblebee movie will provide that for most audiences.

The movie series had been around for ten years now. Even though this movie took a hit sales- wise, it is still doing okay for a regular movie, just not a major blockbuster. There's still something that makes people want to see the movies in there somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  11. FoolishDoomedCreature

FoolishDoomedCreature When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die.

The third instalment in a well-known family-friendly franchise and a critically-acclaimed Edgar Wright movie? And you say that's not competition? Is it so hard to think before writing?

• Like Like x 1
  12. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    I just think these production companies just shot themselves in the foot by putting out too many summer blockbusters, good or no good, within mere weeks of each other. THAT'S what's causing these low numbers. You wonder why Beauty and the Beast and Fast 8 did so well? They had no competition. They were smart putting those movies out when they did because the summer schedule was booked to the brim. Like I've said before your average Joe is not going to keep going to the theater more than twice a year, if that. It takes a movie buff or people with too much time on their hands to do all that. Most people have lives to tend to and bills to pay so expecting this audience to just hit up every major flick because it's being marketed as so isn't really good enough anymore. Popcorn flicks really were a dime a dozen this go round.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't think the drop is really all that shocking. Other than Wonder Woman the superhero films tend to be front loaded. The marketing teams do a great job of hyping the films and building buzz so that most people show up on that opening weekend instead of saying hey I'll wait a few weeks then I'll go watch it.

Plus as other people have said the summer has just gotten too damn busy with movies. Wonder Woman hadn't even died down yet, Baby Driver was getting all sorts of word of mouth and increasing screens and then boom it's time to swing with Spider Man. This weekend we had a well reviewed Apes movie with lots of good marketing behind it to pack theaters. And you have Game of Thrones this Sunday so people might be pinching a few pennies to pay for the two months of HBO you need to see Game of Thrones before some bunghole drops a huge spoiler.

I think the list of problems The Last Knight faced were pretty big and Paramount was totally unprepared to face those problems. Too many must see and big movies so why oh why dump Bumblebee into the mix of potentially big films next year? It was poorly reviewed and didn't pick up it's game when other studios were picking up their game. Sure you had Universal fumble the opening of their Dark Universe but you also had films that found ways to appeal to both critics and the average ticket buyer. Falling for the myth that a series could be critic proof forever and never run out steam. TV no longer has an off season so Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, or HBO aren't playing the game of we will just let the movies have the summer without a fight. If you look at how poorly other movies with bad reviews did it seems like the trend has changed and people aren't picking movies for the pop culture name or the star of the film but is it a film that is going to have that Certified Fresh logo on it when they check their smart phone.

It's a new world in entertainment but Paramount acted like it was still 2007 and they paid the price of not adapting. I think after Ben Hur, Ninja Turtles Out of the Shadows, Ghost in the Shell, Baywatch, and now The Last Knight, will Paramount actually learn anything or will they continue to act as if they can just keep doing things exactly the same way and expect different results?

• Like Like x 2
  14. G1DeadEnd

G1DeadEnd Bring on 5, 6, 7 & 8!

News Credits:
    I'm :glad Shmider-man isn't the Juggernaut, everyone thought it'd be, and I couldn't be bothered to go see it. I think one solution for Hollywood in general, would be to go back to the basics. Figure out ways to make films cheaper ... limit the special effects, turn up the quality of writing. Don't spend more than 100 mil on a movie. It can be done.

Edit:
    And oh yeah, almost forgot my main point. I think piracy is the main culprit. It's just become too darn easy for people to watch stuff illegally without repercussions.

15. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised but I don't blame the movies themselves. Friends at work are surprised I still go and see them in theaters when there is so many ways to view them online right away nowadays.

16. Shark

Shark Carcharodon carcharias

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Not sure I'll ever understand the appeal of watching new theatrical releases at home...sure you don't have to deal with the possibility of an annoying audience, but still...it's just not the same.

• Like Like x 7
  17. Livingdeaddan

News Credits:
    Well Homecoming is sort of Spider-man 6

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  18. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    Even worse:it's 6(I loved the first 3,I don't like the other 2 and I don't like this one either)

19. PaxStarkist

PaxStarkist Active Member

Aren't You guys forgetting something? Home Video Cult Followings of the films I mean heck - look no further than the Original for that. It bombed at box offices but gained a cult following years later. You guys don't think these films will stand the test of time? Toby McGuire's trilogy would like to have a word with You. or even "bad" movies like SMB, or Batman & Robin have gained some cult followings in 20 years time. (I Know. even I think it's crazy)

20. Livingdeaddan

News Credits:
    Duh! :lol  I added up how many spidey films, and forgot to add Homecoming!