Maybe it's time for some of you to take a break...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Yes, that was really weird.
    I'm not planning on buying that toy just cause
    had preffered a voyager
    sized Rodimus, but it's no big deal, I'm happy with
    Protector.
    I thought it was funny to start a thread to discourage people to buy a
    toy, but
    a
    lot of
    people were really hostile to that OP.
    I can
    loose perspective too at times :lol  but the amount of
    people taking such offence to that thread
    was
    bizarre.

2. DanC

DanC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    OP: I dunno man, if you're cracking out a micrometer to measure plastic width then getting furiously angry at the result, maybe you could use a quick breather?
    POSTER: wint on Twitter

• Like Like x 2
  3. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    I think
    the OP and others tend to forget you can enjoy something without
    being jubilant about every aspect of
    it
    all the time.
    And that is a good thing
    to be critical about
    what
    you
    love and not
    worship it
    as
    an idol.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

The fact that people might want to discuss and take other opinions about whether their observations are wrong or true, and stimulate opinion exchanging on a subject that concearns them is automatically considered troll posting these days?

• Like Like x 2
  5. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I'm an ass-hole. Glad to make your acquaintance.

• Like Like x 3
  6. pilot00

I know, I can Identify our kind. Thing is, from the little that I know you, your opinions are rational. So allow me to return the greeting with a smile.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LBock

LBock TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's a huge middle ground between worshiping figures and saying that everything that Hasbro does sucks. My biggest issue is when people start attacking each other, are constantly negative, or just say something sucks without actually giving constructive criticism and feedback.

• Like Like x 2
  8. pilot00

There is also a huge dare I say abyssal middle ground, between those that voice structured opinions on their complaints and those that are just yammering that Hasbro sucks. Too bad they all are been lumped conveniently in the same category, each time a thread like that appears.

• Like Like x 2
  9. LBock

LBock TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not at all and I think that the OP could have made his post less confrontational to begin with. I'm really referring to the people who just constantly crap on Hasbro without backing up their viewpoint.

• Like Like x 3
  10. pilot00

Throwing crap or praising, without reasons, valid reasons, and a development of the opinion behind those reasons, is nothing else than trolling.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yaujta

Yaujta NOT Randy Butternubs. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So by that reasoning, isn't everything trolling then that doesn't include a full breakdown of the reasoning and motive?

I get what you're saying though. Many times when I read slavish praise (or OTT negativity), I wonder where the poster is coming from with that opinion.
    Makes for good reading when someone explains a bit.

(Hey, I actually quoted you this time. Favor granted.)

• Like Like x 2
  12. pilot00

Consider this: You post an analysis about why you love a figure. You have your points and genary is what we could say its a well constructed post. I and I quote your post and respond:

Hahaha. No.

And nothing else. Now I ask you: What purpose did that reply serve? Was it constructive? Was it an opinion? Was it usefull to someone?

• Like Like x 4
  13. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Well
    all we typ is
    pointless ayway. It's just discussing for the hell
    of it most
    of
    the time so it really isn't worth getting worked up
    about.
    I've
    just been wasting my
    time with
    everything I typed
    in
    this
    thread myself.

• Like Like x 1
  14. LBock

LBock TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So here's my question-Is it possible for Hasbro to do better? At the end of the day, they have to fit their product into a price point to sell to the stores. Can they actually convince stores to carry higher priced Transformers and would they actually sell better than what they produce now?

In my opinion, I think the answer is no. I think they can make more money by selling cheaper products than making higher end figures. I just don't think the collector market for Transformers is big enough for Hasbro to really make money. They are better off making cheaper figures that can be sold in discount stores as an impulse buy or that can be sold in international markets. With all the TRU issues, there aren't many retail stores in the US that focus on collector grade figures. I really wish this wasn't the case and that Hasbro could convince Walmart and Target to stock more expensive Transformers, but I think the trend is in the other direction. Hopefully Hasbro proves me wrong this weekend.

15. pilot00

Are You Disappointed With Big Toy Companies? Better come and discuss this here IMHO. It would be better to have more opinions, this thread here is not...suited for this kind of discussion.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    In terms of the confrontational part. Maybe your right, but people also read things differently, as many people are all different. I saw you guys said your assholes below. As am I. I am also an old fuck (40 at this point). What I realized in those years is that there is always something you will word in a way in which some one takes offense. So in a certain degree, I did kind of give up on trying to word something in the most sensitive of ways. I'll explain myself if needed later. If some one just writes me off as an asshole, so be it. I have learned to accept it.

It kind of has everything to do with it. 3rd Party spawned from the idea that Hasbro wasn't doing enough. It initially started as small add ons to make that sub standard Hasbro figure, better. Then it eventually made it to entire figures. Then it was realized that even the entire figures weren't good enough. Now you have countless companies jumping into the ring to make money to fill some void, or some unhappyness some one has with some thing like a head sculpt, or having a figure too tight.

Point of the matter is, even in the thing that was put there to fill a void comes unhappyness. I say this with first hand experience. 3rd Party more so then anything else ruined collecting for me. Spending $20 and getting bad QC is one thing. Spending $200 and getting it is a whole other ball of wax. I complained, and complained and complained, and complained some more for good affect. It didn't change behavior. It didn't change price points.

Taking a break was the best thing that could have happened to me there. I really enjoy collecting now. Hence the break gave me a new found focus. Which was really the point of this post in the first place.

I am not advocating a defeatist stance. There is one thing to complain about QC. In my past 100 posts, I probably have 10 that did just that. I even complained about Motormaster. At the same time though, I can look at the individual bots and say, I like this, this and this about this, but man I don't like this about this. When I complained about third party, I shat on everything. If I didn't like this element that ruined the toy for me, then the whole thing was fucking crap. Well, in fact the whole thing wasn't fucking crap. It really sucked that the thing that ruined it for me was there. But did that make the design which I saw crap? Nope, plenty of people liked that aspect of it. So it's a throwing out a baby with the bath water type of thing.

In either case, back to your point. The voicing of concerns I do hate to say it is useless if the goal is to institute change. Just speaking about something doesn't make it so. If you do have a thread, and you decide to email the President of Hasbro about it, after the poll is at some really convincing number, then yeah, that could institiute some form of change. But literally, complaining on a forum where Hasbro is not actively posting is not changing Hasbro directly.

Well, all if all you can do is focus on the negatives in that thing you were originally over joyed about, then ask yourself, why were you overjoyed by the thing in the first place. I say this, as I said, because of my own feeling. I recall being really excited for a figure. Thinking it looked great, thinking it would be great in the collection. Thinking it will be great on the shelf. Then I got my hands on it. FUCK, the transformation is a fucking bitch! SHIT, look at these fucking tabs, there fuckers will snap! ARGH! Look at this piece of shit!

But what I really did was transform it 1-5x at most, came up with a cool pose for it, then throw it on shelf, most likely never to be touched again. Did I have many figures that could not meet those needs? Nope, they almost all met those needs. I only got that perspective after I stopped collecting.

So I actually took out all the spacing. Not sure if your posting on your phone, but it takes up a lot of space to post like that.

In either case, please read above. I am not stating I want you to shut the fuck up. I am giving my experiences and how I changed as a collector. I am not saying it's for everyone. I am just saying what worked for me.

Who is worshiping anything as an idol. Go back and check my posts. They are there for the reading.

As I stated above, when the ONLY thing you focus on is the critical aspects about it, then it's the reverse of treating it like an idol. Those are the people I am referencing may need a break.

There is nothing wrong with you seeing both the good and the bad in something. Most of my posts now do that.

I agree with this, I can disagree with Bellpeppers, and I have agreed with Bellpeppers more then disagreed. I can identify one of my own as well. But as you say, there is a conversation that can be had. That's the difference between an asshole and an irrational asshole (which I have been in the past, and sure I can be in the future).

YES! See that's what came to me as well. Can I really bitch about a $17 deluxe? I mean, the thing is checking a lot of boxes for me. Sure, it doesn't check these other boxes, but if I want that, I can spend $80 on a third party version. But then my expectation go through the roof.

I've reset myself on Hasbro. Not sure if I have reset myself on Third Party. I still to this day think, man for the price of these 10 third party figures I could have bought a 65 inch OLED TV. For the price of this 1 figure, I could buy a PS4 and so on.

For $17, I could get McDonald's with my son. Not much $17 gets you now a days that really makes you feel it.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Probe

Probe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not aiming this at anyone in particular (because I have most people who this would apply to on ignore) but a good rule is if you're posting either A) just to piss other people off or B)because you're so angry you could crush your key board

Then don't post, go outside, grab lunch.

18. pilot00

No need to. I can understand your point. I am approaching sooner than I would have liked you are age and I understand your PoV. But if we act like that, then honestly we shouldnt expect better from the young uns.

I am still of the opinion if the mother company starts thinking this through another scope, and fixes their errors the 3p void will be eliminated. Just rolling down on your belly and dying (so to speak) never appealed to a lot of us as a solution to a problem. Voicing a problem has the side effect of making it heard, having it heard makes people think of it. It wont happen in a day.

And how do you know that I havent done it ;)  ? If I can convince another one to do it, that would be a win win. Sitting on my ass and accepting defeat is a no no.

Look I understand what you mean. But honestly answer me one thing: What is the point of making 300 threads about every single figure that has no flaws and saying that? Yes I agree it would be a possitive thing to do, and yes it would be a big thank you to the guys that worked for it. There are already threads about it, and everyone is posting dayly happily in them. And there are even threads for individual figures been released and people are happily singing their praises. Nobody posted "Oh no another happy thread". However raise a single complain and you are having a lynch in your hands. And thats the problem right now with this fandom. Everything is fine, there is no problem, everyone who is complaining is a negative nancy. Thats the watch word. For every ten opinions that are posted here, 9 of them out of either side are completely uninformed and completely biased because...reasons.

Actually I only log in the forums when I am working. My work right now, consists of nothing more than staring at monitors, so I got much free time. At least the salary is the same as before that I was actually working :lol  So desktop for me.

As I said thats the impression one gets from the first post. Glad you didnt mean it that way.

19. LBock

LBock TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've found that I'm actually happier with MP or 3P for the core characters I really want and Hasbro for the D list characters. I don't need a high end Battletrap or Chromedome but I do want a high end Optimus Prime, Megatron, Prowl, etc. I just wish that 3P would focus on more high end CHUG versions of the core characters so that my collection was more cohesive. We're starting to get there, but there are still a lot of gaps.

20. Lady Slipstream

Lady Slipstream Nikki is cute af

News Credits:
    IMHO While Generations (2013-today) is noticeably hollow, the plastic quality is quite good compared to older lines. Let's take two examples from the Cybertron era, Crumplezone and Brushguard, both feel really cheap and WAY more hollow than any TR figure. Sure, they may be chunky figures, but still they feel... Off... Compared to what we have nowadays.

Don't get me wrong, I love those figures, but they aren't anywhere near close at the quality of Prime Wars.

21. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

If Playmates can, why Hasbro can not?