Maybe it's time for some of you to take a break...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So, I literally just saw 3 threads in a row with people complaining about Hasbro, Transformeres, etc. I use to also complain about TFers. Then I was forced into a hiatus. I came really close to quiting the hobby all together and just selling all of the TFers which I had. I was just kind of through.

Then I saw PoTP Grimlock, and all of the other Dinobots. I bought the first three Dinobots, and boom, I was back in it full force.

You know what I gained from my hiatus? A new appreciation for what we do have. Is it perfect? No, not by a long shot. But realistically what is perfect? Nothing.

So, what I recommend for you guys that may be looking at the toy lines and are not happy, just take a year off. Don't check the threads, don't check the boards. Just stay away. Better yet, pack your collection away. Don't have your figures around.

Then, see how you feel. Do you miss it? Do you all the sudden appreciate what you did get?

I am not saying this to aggravate any of you, or to tell you that your wrong. I am just saying, sometimes a break makes you appreciate what we do have.

What I find myself thinking is, I use to complain about what we got, but then always looked forward to Toy Shows to see whats coming. Why? I mean, if I wasn't crazy about what we got, then why was I looking forward to more?

As an aside, the TR line is probably the best line we have gotten in a long long time, if not ever. I will put those figures against any Animated figure, any classics figure or so forth. As a complete line, it was winners begining to end. While Animated may have been a great time. Having Legends to Titans in one line is just amazing.

So if you don't enjoy what we're currently getting. Take a break. You may find a new appreciation for what we have gotten thus far.

• Like Like x 70
  2. DanC

DanC Well-Known Member

Actually my hobby is complaining loudly and repeatedly about hollow forearms. Buying Transformers is just the thing I have to do to enjoy this delightful pasttime.

• Like Like x 85
  3. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    how about no, im not going to settle and that pretty much what your whole post comes down to is that we should be greatfull for what we get, if we all just stayed happy with what we get we will end up like the crappy star wars line with 5 points of articulation

• Like Like x 11
  4. Alucard77

News Credits:
    And your comparing the TR line to that?

Did you not see improvement from the CW line to the TR line?

• Like Like x 2
  5. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    While I agree with the sentiment of the OP, I think we also need to take a break from these "ultimatum" threads showing up all the time.

• Like Like x 20
  6. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    not long ago the star wars line was alright enough i would bother with it, now keep in mind starwars is as big as transformers i might say still a little bigger though im not sure about this when it comes to sales.

now as for improvements between the cw and the tr line its about the same, look where we are with power of the primes, its about the same as cw, tr has the small advantage of not having to put up with the gaint ratchet joint in every deluxe.

as for holding up against anything between beast wars and first edition line it doesnt hold up at all, this is not nostalgia, i like all the new toys and i have the old ones and i oftern play with both and comparing them is fun

• Like Like x 1
  7. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well, it's not an ultimatum. I am just saying, it changed my opinion on collecting and what we have been getting. Sometimes when your so close to something, you don't apprecaite it. A break helped me.

• Like Like x 20
  8. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

I really really really try to not complain, to appreciate what we have and to make the most of them. We have more options and a larger world of toys available to us now than at any other time in the past. It's a great time to be a fan. Imagine a world devoid of them. It would be like 1995 all over again. I would like to see more attention paid to quality control and design principles with the new toys these days, but they are still a lot of fun once you work around the issues that may exist (floppy joints, loose tabs, etc.). While I still believe that a new toy should come out of the box fully functional, I also realize that assuring that would require Hasbro/Takara to decrease the size/complexity of the toys and/or bump the prices by a corresponding amount...which I'm not sure parents/kids/collectors would be as readily willing to shell out. I, for one, am not quite ready for $25 Deluxes, $35 Voyagers and $60 Leaders (these numbers came directly out of my ass, by the way).

Maybe some in the fandom would be best served by an adjustment in perspective and a reevaluation of costs and benefits associated with getting what they want out of the toys. And, just to be clear, I am NOT suggesting that anyone should be happy with, settle for or spend their money on something they don't like or something they don't think is worth the asking price. The way I look at it is if a person doesn't like it, then don't buy it. And if higher quality is what a person wants, they may just have to get used to the idea of purchasing a smaller number of higher quality figures at higher unit prices.

And, most importantly, keep having fun!

• Like Like x 6
  9. Alucard77

News Credits:
    My personal opinions is that we have ups and downs in collecting. You have poorer lines then better lines. It could be a whole bunch of factors. But I haven't seen a consistant decline in TFers. If anything, after coming back and putting the figures back on the shelf. I am seeing an increase. Granted, I am a classics collector. Maybe some RID or Movie lines have decreased, but I am not exposed to those.

• Like Like x 3
  10. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i always try to see the best in any figures i get. doesn't help anything when we bash everything. i appreciate that transformers are still going strong after 34 years and i can still enjoy it.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku I love both Nemesis Prime and Anime!

OP, I'm glad you made this thread. You've said my opinion better than I ever could have. The way I see it, life's too short to complain about plastic figures. I'm always one of the outsiders when it comes to a group of any type, but here I feel really welcome and in a place of peace. I love about 98% of this brand believe it or not. The toys are great, media is great, and overall, I feel like me discovering TFs has made my life really enjoyable.

The world right now is a mess, and I've learned to ignore the outside, and focus on what I enjoy, and that's TFs.

I haven't come across a single toy that I hate, only one figure that I'm not that big on. (TLK Crosshairs) However, I've noticed that ever since CW and the Prime Wars started off, people have really been tearing into the figures non stop. Hell, from what I can tell, this has been happening since 2007!

I love the TF franchise, and I don't plan on stopping soon, if ever. I mean, I'm taking Engineering as a way to come closer to my dream of making official TFs in the future! I appreciate all the care and effort that goes into each figure that's made. While some don't have as much finesse as others, they still tried didn't they? I think some people don't realize that the people that make these figures are human beings just like us.

I definitely think some people here should either take a brake and reevaluate their feelings on this franchise as a whole, or just leave others who enjoy the products alone and allow others to be happy, even if they can't enjoy it the same way.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Metalwario64

Metalwario64 City Commander

I'm pretty much at the end of my rope for collecting Transformers toys. That's why I haven't posted since last summer. I just bought the Legends Windcharger and Beachcomber to finish off my Legends scaled minibots, and I'll probably get the upcoming Primal to have an Optimal Optimus if it's good enough. I also am tempted to either get the PoTP Rodimus or use KO MP-28 as a chug Rodimus Prime stand-in.

I'm just too turned off by the forced gimmicks, the terrible stickers and increasing prices. I'll probably get some more BW figures if I can, and that will probably be it for me and Transformers. I have basically all of the characters I want anyway, so it's not a big deal.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

POTP Dinobots got my attention back into Transformers, but considering how that turned out, I'll go back to waiting if I don't see anything I like during Toyfair reveals.

14. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    Though I admit I'm close to done I have a list there is only 18 characters left then I'm pure mp

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    No, I didn’t.
    So yeah, I started taking a break. Not from collecting but from Hasbro.

Say “hello” to my little friends.

57399B5B-C43D-4555-9A9C-15A0E7AAA512.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  16. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Get them both out. I literally just played with my combiners. Compare the best combiner to the triggerhappy. No comparison.

17. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    The CW figures may have been repetitive but they were rock solid figures without loose limbs or floppy heads.

So you’re right- there is no comparison.

And my Triggerhappy will be going up for sale with a good number of my other TR figures.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well, depends, I had some QC issues on my CW. Same for TR. Same for the Animated line I have. QC is QC. I feel like QC has been a problem for a long while.

19. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Nothing wrong with those. I have looked at all of those. (Have the Wei Jiang), but need to catch up on some other things.

• Like Like x 1
  20. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    What QC issues have you had with CW?
    I can honestly say, without any exaggeration, that prior to TR, in all the years of TF collecting I have done I have only had (1) singular issue with QC. That was the Wreck Gar repaint where the wheel broke at the handlebars.

I liked MPM Bee... but after getting Battle Hornet MPBee is very bland, drab and boring. Very unexciting. I am heavily entertaining replacing him with LT-01.
    Personally I’d have engineered Hornet a little different. It dang he looks great.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018