Maybe it is time for Transformers to "grow up"

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nightrain, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Maybe it is time for them to move beyond bright colors, plain faces, and simplified designs. The unforeseen success of the film says a lot about the accepted evolution of our beloved brand. Consumers demanded more toys with toned down realistic colors and complicated looking parts, hence why Animated was delayed. There's no reason to think that it won't happen again. Perhaps we as a fandom should accept that and either join in or move on. Hasbro gave us the (mostly) proper nostalgia trip we asked for anyway.

Besides...there's always Takara :D 

2. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    At the moment, I'm quite happy with the scope of what we get ffrom Hasbro - Movie stuff for the realistic-look fans, Animated stuff for the bright, cartoony-look fans, and Universe stuff for the nostalgia fans.

It's all cool, and I don't really think Transformers needs to 'grow up', it's been maturing as a brand and a franchise quite nicely for the past couple of years since Takara took more of a backseat at the concept stage.

3. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformers doesn't need to grow up.

There's room for all kinds of designs in TF, and Hasbro recognises that. That's why Alternators and Armada can sit side by side on a toy shelf, with a few 1980s reissues next to them as well.

Or more recently, why Animated can co-exist with Universe and Movie figures. Going extreme one way or the other would kill things off; doing the tap dance they've been doing for years means Hasbro is guaranteed success.

4. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ummm transformers is a kids toy line and their are more adult friendly collectors items so I dont see what needs to change.

As for the idea of the movie being the new way to go now I don't mind the movie look but it was done to help the movie more believable and it worked. Now out side of the movie-verse I like what we have now and lets not change what works since it seems transformers sell well regardless of what their face looks like.

as for bright colours some times it can actually look good its just all about taste

5. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Transformers are for kids. You want something more 'adult?' Make a custom or write some fanfic. I'm happy with what HasTak gives us.

6. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Aren't the movie designs "old" enough for you?

7. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Grow up?

What?

Why should a kid's toyline grow up?
    Why shouldn't collectors adapt to the toys rather than the other way around?

I think it's wonderful that HasTak has remembered the fans and given us the fanwanks we've wanted (and some we never expected!) throughout the years, but I don't think we have the right to demand that they grow up.

As is, they cover all the bases, really.

Preschool/-5:
    Bumper Battlers

5+/School age:
    Animated

Adult:
    Universe, Alternators, Movie, etc.

The thing is, even though some of these lines are aimed towards a certain group (or age), they have a wide appeal and work for people of all ages, which is why they sell like hotcakes.

Here's the thing....kids don't give a crap about the paint applications. Kids don't give a crap about show accuracy. Kids just want it to be a toy and play well. Hasbro provides that.

The fact that we've received more show accurate, fan pleasing, collector driven designs and figures is proof that TFs have, in fact, grown up.

Beyond that, if it must be nitpicked, then go with Takara, they're collector driven through and through, they'll go that extra mile and paint the details for you, and because of that, they'll command a higher price out of their product.

Is it worth it? Not really. Anyone with a modicum of patience can replicate the paint applications that Takara throws in for double the price. Sure, some of their pieces have "chromed" (which is just silly really, one more thing to go wrong with the figure I say.) which is nothing but a collectorwank, but it's not worth the extra in my book.

No. If you force TFs to grow up, they cease being fun, and therefore boring. When you become bored with something, it slowly dies in popularity and then ends up being a distant memory. No one will give a crap.

An art collector is generally pretentious and boring, and while their collection is full of beauty and deeper meaning, there are times where it's just a piece of canvas sitting on a wall, with paint on it.

I don't want that.

I want a figure that has been designed to work as a plaything and be considered a work of art, with paint on it.

Grow up? A toy? What a ridiculous concept. Maybe it's time we became kids again.

8. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I :bowdown:  to that.

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't know that evolved means everything must shift now to the movie look. We got some hybrid figures that showed you could do the movie's more parts more rounded bits while still sticking to something more traditional looking. For example you could put figures like Wreckage and Stockade in either your Classics or Movie collection without either robot standing out too much.

Plus the classics line was the brand evolving as well. Just compare the originals to the modern counter parts and that's loads of evolution.

The brand is always evolving so there is a reason for us to buy one more of the robots we have already and to bring more play factor to the robots. I just don't think the movie line is the only way to evolve so I rather hope we continue to have variety in the brand instead of going back to the bad old days of no choices except the one option offered at the time.

If it becomes movie look only then you might be right of it's time for me to move on because why would I buy robots if they were not appealing to me on some level?

10. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I disagree with the OP. I hate it if Transformers would somehow become too dark or hardcore. There should always be room for fun and a way for kids to join in on the fun as well.

A problem I have with Star Wars is that alot of hardcore fans take it all way too serious, but the old trilogy obviously has many jokes and giggles, giving it more an 'adventure' feeling than a super-dark story many of these fans think it is.

Eventually, I think even Lucas started to see it that way, that's why the prequel trilogy is so damn serious and boring..

Please don't let that happen to Transformers! We are talking about colorful robots in disguise here!

11. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I thought the movie line was the grown up version.

12. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I don't want to grow up, I'm a Toys'R'Us kid...

13. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

And that's why K-B closed.

14. razorchrist

razorchrist Sniper

This.

If I ever had to make a choice, though, it would be 1000% for the Universe design aesthetic. Part of it is because of the G1 nostalgia, but a bigger part of it is because I just vastly prefer TF to look like articulated blocky robots as opposed to alien insects with pieces of shattered metal sticking out everywhere (Movie) or high tech Playskool/Happy Meal toys that look like they're made & colored for 3 year olds (Animated).

Ultimately I love the choices we have to pick from these days - Movie, Animated, Universe, Masterpiece, Robot Heroes, G1 Encore, Alts, etc. - and very much view the past few years as a golden age of TF collecting. Just remember how many years we were stuck with ONLY whatever the main line/series was at the time and had no other options at all.

15. DieMaus

DieMaus is blawesome

News Credits:
    Amen to this. I've never quite understood how Star Wars, a series that began its life as straight fantasy-adventure, gradually got contorted over years of over-analysis and self-serious "expanded universe" material into a hard science-fiction universe, emphasising technical navel-gazing and dry religio-political blathering over action, excitement and fun. Like I said, it's a misinterpretation that I mainly blame upon the supplementary material and fan input, but there's no denying that it eventually ended up seeping into the later films themselves.

Honestly, it's a trend I can often see threatening to affect Transformers, too. Yes, it's a franchise that utilises the trappings of sci-fi and war fiction for its premise, but for me it's an youth-oriented action-adventure story first and foremost, and it's the incarnations of the series that acknowledge that which tend to appeal to me most. Of course, I like high-quality production values, but taking your material seriously isn't the same as being "serious"; hone your craft and evolve your ideas, by all means, but never forget that toys are supposed to be fun... :) 

16. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

When looking at the popularity of the movie toys take into account the marketing. The movie was plastered everywhere. Much more than transformers animated. I foresee the movie toys going down in popularity. I don't think the designs can keep small kids imagination as well. Older audiences might appreciate them more in the long run.

Also, it's easier to create distinctive characters with a wider palette of colors.

17. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Interesting comments. I would only point out that Star Wars, through all of it's SERIOUS BIZNESS~! has been a long time cornerstone of Hasbro. It's not exactly a bad business model for Transformers to follow.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You mean starting an animated show on Cartoon Network and producing some more stylized, cartoony figures to go with it? :D 

19. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    This is why I can't really get into most Transformers comics nowadays. They're too damn serious. I don't give a damn about how exactly the Cybertronian Senate works, really.
    Actually, that has nothing do with Star Wars being 'serious business'. It's because Star Wars has always appealed to both young and old and features many interesting characters and ships. If people didn't take it so damn serious it would still sell as well. My statement wasn't really about the toys themselves, but at the fiction that surrounds it, and how this affects and is affected by the fans. :) 

20. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Actually, if you consider the fact that the Star Wars toy line completely died out in the mid-80s and wasn't revived until the late 90s - and the fact that most of this time it was made by Kenner, not Hasbro - I'd say Transformers has been a far more consistent brand for Hasbro.

Plus there's the fact that Hasbro still puts out a lot of new and exciting TF toys, while the Star Wars line has run out of characters so badly that they recently released a toy of the fat six-boobed dancing chick from RotJ.