Maybe I Got My Wish... (ROTF Toy Sales)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AnimatedFan, Jul 2, 2009.

1. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

...and I wasn't even wishing for anything, though I will admit I was angry and wanted Hasbro to learn their lesson for taking Animated and Universe from us.

What am I rambling on about, you ask?

Well...

All of the local stores in my region (Erie/Edinboro/Meadville/Greenville/Hermitage PA. Ashtabula/Boardman/Niles/Poland OH.) seem to be having quite a problem getting their ROTF stock to sell.

Now, before you go on and say "Well your area is not a reliable indicator for the rest of us." you're right...but here's the catch.

11 Wal-Marts, 8 K-Marts, 3 TRUs, 3 Targets, 1 specialty store (Kraynak's) and all of them are just loaded down with Legends, Scouts, Deluxes, Voyagers and Leaders. (Don't even ask me to count the Ultimate Bumblebees, role plays, etc. I couldn't even begin to count those suckers...)

Voyagers seem to sell quite well. Probably the best, from what I can see. Deluxes were #1 for a while and are now a close #2, but all other size classes are a distant 3rd and so on. (Leaders are terribly overstocked. It's ridiculous.)

And none of it makes sense to me... When TF07 came out, the toys didn't sell well at first, but once the film hit that Wednesday, the toy shelves were CLEAN Friday night.

ROTF comes out, and the best sales of the toys were before the film. Now that the film has come out, Ravage is the absolute best seller of all the figures (he's becoming hard to find in all of the stores I mentioned) but none of the other toys really seem to be making any kind of impact.

Now I realize that some locations are reporting nice sales and thus a heavy restock cycle going, but I've had friends tell me that they're suffering with the same thing. Loads and loads of old figures with no room or expectation of the new.

So...did I inadvertently get a wish answered without even really asking it? Like I said, it was out of anger and I wanted Hasbro to realize that they couldn't just put all of their eggs in one basket and hope for the best. I had wanted them to learn their lesson without losing their shirts.

Methinks, however, if this trend continues and it's in more locations that we realize...that's a hell of a lot of product that ain't movin'.

Even with sales, nothing seems to be flying off the shelves. Superion (Target Exclusive) has even been collecting dust. I went to those three Targets I mentioned earlier, and they all had at least 2-3 in stock, and one store had like two cases worth, just sitting there.

Now, I realize the economy is in the shitter right now for everyone, but obviously the movie's doing well, to the tune of $200+ million, and you'd think the toys would follow suit.

They're not.

I can't imagine people are that disinterested in the toys...they can't be. And with the sales running currently, they can't say they're not affordable, because they're actually cheaper than the previous lines toys were.

So, how is it in your neck of the woods? More of the same of what I see, or are you actually seeing bare shelves and good news for your TF buying future?

2. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    if you do searches on ebay for the popular figures(prime,jetfire,megatron,etc) alot of the auctions show no bid or are really low bids...Jetfire seems to be the only one right now selling for a high dollar amount it seems...

3. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Most of the stores around me are plowing through the stock. I was amazed going through TRU this week and seeing the massive wall down to about 1/4 the stock. Before Walmart restocked last week, there were 4 Voyager Ironhides, and about 10 Deluxe figures in total. The pegs there are now about half full. Yea the Leaders are selling slower, but that is more of a price point issue. That being said, most of the shelf space is only about half stocked with Leaders. UBB is a poor indicator because it sold poorly last time around up until christmas when parents wanted to get their kids the "big one". Then it even flew off the shelf. Even the prettymuch straight repaints have been flying off the shelf lately at the stores around me. I have no interest in Superion, but they have been flying off the shelf at my Targets. I know that one of them has stocked it atleast three times, and they are all gone again.

Only real turd that I have seen has been those Walmart Exclusive Jets, but I think that is for a variety of reasons. 1. They are not in the movie. 2. They are an old mold, when a superior mold was just released. 3. They are catering more to the collector IMO who wants "all the seekers", and 4. They have a screwy price point, what kid wants an old mold of a figure who is not in the movie that costs more than the characters that they have seen on the screen.

Just wait for the actual sales numbers and next quarter's report from Hasbro, because neither my or your small sample sizes are a great indicator. Sure there will be the shelf warmers, but hopefully they will be shortpacked in the future, but I think the actual sales numbers will be pretty impressive.

4. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It just depends on what store you go to. Wal-Mart is loaded down with wave 1 deluxes and voyager. Target has moved stock very well, with the only things not moving are Preview BB and Rampage. TRU hardly has anything. The only thing that isn't moving there is the Leader Class figures, which aggervates me because I can't find Jetfire.

5. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is not a good indicator. People are not going to bid on toys that are readily available in stores.

6. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I'd actually be quite happy for this to be the case.

Makes it easier to have a chance of finding what I want and being able to pick and choose when I finally have money to spend in a week or so.

7. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe it's a region thing but all the Superions are sold out at the Target near my house and there a a few Ravages left when I was there yesterday after noon. They did have tons of Chromia's and Wheelies hanging on the pegs.

Maybe the Target didn't have time to restock the shelves.

8. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I know My son will not be seeing this movie so unlike TFM1 he has no desire for these toys
    I can't see my son playing with mud flap or even prime.
    These aren't 86 tfs where there was a show and kid friendly transformations/content
    Too bad animated stopped he really liked that show.

9. Ladies Man 217

Ladies Man 217 Ladies Man 217

I wanted to take my son to see this movie sooooo bad, but after I saw it I didn't think that it was appropriate for him. Some of the language and content. I think maybe some other parents are feeling that way too, because the stores in my area are overloaded with ROTF inventory as well. If kids arent going to see this movie, the toys won't leave the shelf. This is just my opinion, and I make no judgement against anybody who does not agree with me about the films content "to each his own".

10. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sideswipe is selling well here, however the rest of the deluxes are not selling very quickly here in NZ (from across the country it sounds like). Big-scale toys are not moving at all, but scout class is doing quite well. Waaaay too many preview figures (again) which are clogging up shelves too.

I don't see ROTF being as successful as 07 was.

11. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    A lot of people saw that coming.

Shame for Hasbro they didn't. I've nothing against the movie or the movie line (hell, I really like a lot of the figures we've seen, plenty I want [more than I expected, as I have been trying to go light on this line], and love the ones I have), but Hasbro really put all their eggs in one basket on this, and it's a big gamble to assume that this line is going to do nearly what the first did.

12. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Shelves are cleaned out where I am.

13. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hasbro expected massive amounts of figures to move so they sent out tons of stuff this time instead of a little bit like they did for the first movie. Stores are getting pallets full of figures, not just a few cases at a time like Animated and Universe. Not to mention almost every store is carrying some kind of ROTF figures, from pharmacies to grocery stores, just about everyone has some. In my area, they are selling quite well.

14. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

I was given specific instructions to monitor the transformer sections in my store and fill them whenever they sold down (2 endcaps and a 4 foot section) and um...I have yet had to pull anything from the back since the movie dropped on wednesday...I did have to refill one peg of scouts from the aisle to the end cap, so yeah..sales are a little slow compared to last year. hell the creep collectors havn't even pilfered all the coupons yet ;-)

15. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All right... retail employee tidbit coming up... feel free to ignore.

Well, seeing toys on the shelf isn't a very good indicator of anything more than... the store has stock. Here's the thing: The Wally World I work at hasn't had to reorder stock for RotF since their official release. Why? Because we've had at least four pallets worth of figures (ranging from the preview wave all the way up to the newest waves in most of the price points IE: wave 3 deluxes, wave 3 voyagers, etc.). My store never looks to run out of figures, because they are constantly being restocked due to the amount of RotF merchandise that we have in stock. However, if you check what's selling really well (I can bring up a report to do so...) Deluxes, Voyagers, Scouts, Legends & Fast Action Battler's all seem to be flying off the shelves at a very decent pace, but like I said... it's not as noticeable as it was with the first movie as Hasbro has given out more stock to meet the demand (also, I know in the case of my store... our Toy Dept. Manager ordered a heck of a lot more cases from the get go in anticipation of not having barren shelves like he did back during the first movie when toy supply ran out due to the movie's overwhelming success).

What seems to have happened here is that Hasbro learned from their mistake on the last movie where they under produced the amount of figures to meet supply for the demand after the movie was released. RotF is doing well or you wouldn't be able to walk into most stores and find the newest waves. Is this line doing as well as the first movie line... without numbers from Hasbro it's hard to say.

At the end of the day, anytime someone walks into a thread and says: My area has x toy clogging the shelves therefor the toy line must be doing poorly... it's really all conjecture. Hell, even what I said is conjecture and may only work for my store, but it at least has more facts in it to back it up other than 'Every time I go to the store I see the same merchandise'.

Just out of curiosity... what store do you work for?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  16. bruticus_prime

bruticus_prime awesomeness in a bottle

hey hey i live in greenville.............................................................south carolina

17. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The toys seem to be selling really well in South Charlotte and the upstate SC area. I do still find quite a few Ironhide and Ratchet voyagers, but I'm thinking it's because they are simple repaints/retools from the first movie line. Robot Replicas don't seem to be moving, but the legends, scouts, deluxes and in most cases voyagers are moving really well. The current Target sell combined w/ their in store coupons I'm sure are helping.

18. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pegs and shelves are pretty empty in my area.

19. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

This.

If anything, it means that the stores are finally doing their jobs and making sure the aisle stays stocked. Which could be an indicator that the line is doing well.

20. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    The toys have been moving fast in all of my local stores.

Even Ironhide is starting to be less available than he was even a week ago.