Maybe Bay is plan ing a secret reboot

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by tm11176, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    Bay should use what remains of his brain and stay away from 80's series. TMNT got delayed because the script was horrible, even Peter Laird won't endorse it.

Bay needs to end his mission of destroying our childhoods.

2. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Michael Bay isn't planning shit. The movie did well at the box office, if it were up to the studios 4 would be like the first three.

Toy sales on the other hand failed HARD. Seeing as Hasbro is the main producer on this project, they care more about toys than boxoffice. HASBRO will be designing the new bots for the 4th movie and that is where the reboot is happening.

Hasbro needs to sell toys and Michael's twisted metals designs just don't do it anymore. Michael Bay has zero say on if the franchise is getting a reboot or not, this is Hasbro's call. But I thought this was very old news, this was all said right after part 3.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Uh... DOTM toys sold very well, and drove Hasbro's second and third quarter earnings?

MediaPost Publications Transformers Power Hasbro Sales, Earnings 07/20/2011

TFW2005 Coverage Of Hasbro Third Quarter 2011 Earnings Conference Call - Transformers News - TFW2005

4. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    They did not sell nearly as well as movie one and two. The shelves were proof of that.

I won't even blame Bay on this one. 5 years of the same figures just gets boring. The Movie toyline needs a reboot and we will see it in part 4. I wouldn't mind seeing the designs simplified with less twisted metal and more protectuive plating covering the bots, like every other series has. A more TF : Prime look would work for me.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    No, they sold somewhere better than the first film and worse than the second, as stated in that link I posted. Hasbro's increased sales and 3rd quarter announcements are proof of this. Shelves are anecdotal evidence and there are critical fallacies involved with using them as a justification for sales (first and foremost, they would be an indicator of RETAILER sales, not Hasbro's sales, and even then only from a very local perspective).

Saturation of the same characters was mentioned, but has not been reached to an non-cost effective degree, especially on the international scale.

6. AutobotJazz1

AutobotJazz1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well guys, if this is a disinformation campaign, it would be the best one yet. Although I am concerned on how the fans would react to that.

7. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It won't happen... :rolleyes: 

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    What I could see happening is Bay will think he's changed and improved many things, but to those living outside his head it's actually just more of the same as before.
    So he may actually honestly have good intentions to do better and to change and freshen things up, but in the end just come up against the limit of his talents/ability and actually still not result in a positive advancement at all.

9. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 This is noise

long as galvatron (without being megs with a new body) cyclonus scourge skywarp and thandercracre are in i could care less if it's a reboot or not

oh and bee dies in the frist ten minutes that way hasbro hazs to find some one who peple will like to be a shelf warmer

10. ngnikolaos

ngnikolaos Well-Known Member

Whatever Bay is "planning", as long as he's the one doing the planning, I don't really have any hopes.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I wish he would re-do Shockwave, one that's a logical badass instead of Boba Fett.

12. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Dream On

13. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime IDW2019 Stan

News Credits:
    wuh?

14. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its been like this for awhile.

15. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    This is an irrational statement on many, many levels.

16. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Depends on if you're including lawyers and accountants or not I suppose.

17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:

Aside from the humor, which was virtually guaranteed by virtue of Bumblebee being in the film, the other two were attempts to try and get people off the scent of the truth. With Shockwave, while a disappointing use of the character design and name, was a smart smokescreen to cover Sentinel being the bad guy (and an excellent one at that), while Soundwave was not so successful at being hidden but still pulled off a great surprise reveal all the same.

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I agree I don't think he sets out on any of the films with bad intentions. You can listen to the commentary on far worse films from other directors and even on the stinkers the people working on the films thought they were doing something good. I'm fairly sure he wasn't pistol whipped with a Megatron toy by another kid when he was little and now he's out for his revenge.

But yea I think directors often get this disconnect where they can't really see how they might disappoint people. They throw in lots of work and it kind of produces an idea of if I liked working on the movie then people will like the movie. I don't know if there are many directors who can kind of step back to see the movie how other people might look at it.

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    'Secret reboot' just makes me think of Bay slipping on a balaclava and sneaking into the studio at night and sniggering as he changes things during the movie's production. While old Looney Tunes cartoon music plays and sound effects *doink!* as he hits the camera with a giant wooden mallet.
    Indeed. I may not have enjoyed the final Shockwave result, but it was a good basic idea in principle to throw people off twigging Sentinel was going to turn. If they could've just done something better with Shockwave at the same time then it would've been golden. I kinda think giving him the Driller was a big mistake. It made Shockwave a threat, yes, but indirectly so. Maybe if Shockwave's actual alt mode was the Driller (rather than just riding around in it) he might've been less disappointing in that regard. I mean keep the worm wrecking the building (even though I personally found that whole scene somewhat yawnsome), but knowing that worm was literally Shockwave in alt mode would've made it far more interesting, for the character and for the audience.

20. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    It wasn't that much of a surprise. REALLY early marketing material revealed that the Autobots would be betrayed (the title of a novella, iirc). Early on people assumed NEST, but once it was confirmed Sentinel would be in the movie it was a bit like adding 2 and 2 together.