Maximum pricing for shipping on ebay

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by ninety, Feb 14, 2010.

1. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    I'm listing some stuff on ebay, and have just come across their 'Maximum shipping price rules.'

I can see what they're trying to do, a lot of stuff has over-priced shipping, clamping down on that can only be a good thing.

However, I'm listing games which have a maximum domestic shipping price of £2.00, the cheapest Recorded shipping available (to comply with Paypal) is more than that, and that's by Second Class Mail. Add in the price of a bubble envelope, and if the game sells for £0.99 I make a loss. The same applies to a lot of books, maximum shipping price is below the cheapest available to actually ship.

Only way to ensure I don't make a loss is to have a higher starting price, increasing ebay's fees. Coincidence?

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Nothing is coincidental. Though it might be a case of "left hand does not know what right hand is doing". You could challenge them on that to be honest. It's not exactly fair to require people to use a standard of shipping more expensive than their own imposed minimum, although the standard corporate response will probably be, "you are not obliged to make use of the Paypal shipping".

3. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    I never use the Paypal shipping option, weigh it myself and take it to the Post Office, primarily because my printer doesn't like me.

Sent them an email, response was full of the usual 'Customer feedback' 'We strive to provide a fair service' etc. etc.

Sending stuff unrecorded comes in below the maximum, but of course that doesn't comply with Paypal's protection policies. I'm willing to take the risk on 99p stuff, but not on £30 stuff.

4. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    As an addition to this, I tried to list a 3 DVD boxset, cheapest shipping in the UK is about half the maximum allowed by ebay, and doesn't provide any Seller protection. Challenged ebay about this, response was basically 'You can provide other shipping options' - most buyers of course choose more expensive shipping don't they?!?! Also, 'You can start your item off at a higher price, from time to time we will be providing incentives for listings in these catagories with higher starting prices'. In essence, we've thought up yet another way to make more money out of you, because we don't make enough yet, the greedy bastards that we are.

Bit of a rant I know, but really ebay, mother-fucking really?!?

5. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    I would just use your own method of shipping but would state it in your auction listing. Not sure what other methods of shipping there are overseas but here in the U.S. I use Fedex which I've found to be reliable and less expensive than USPS and UPS. What you could do is charge a handling fee of less than $5 or so to offset the cost of shipping.

6. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    List media as Wholesale lot or other to make your own shipping price.