Maximum Dinobots #5 [SPOILERS!]

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Boo, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Well... I guess you can say that the IDW-Furmanverse officially came to a close today. Pretty satisfying, too. All things considered. Good issue, except the change in art... God I hate having 2 different artists in one issue. Especially the finale. Oh well. Story was still really cool, I think.

Nice to see them wrapping up the Sunstreaker/Hunter arc. Though, it seems 'off' compared to how we saw the scene in AHM. I'll have to go back and take a look at that. Appears that Hunter is still connected in some way to Sunstreaker, Ratchet just blocked the signal somehow so they can't hear each other's thoughts... could be a way to bring 'Streaker back after what happened in AHM. Provided that Hunter survives whatever it is that Bombshell has done to him.

Finally find out what happened with Verity and Jimmy, too. Apparently they're fine. Just been chillin' with Ratchet and the Autobots.

Interesting that Magnus shows up and just basically cleans up the scraps left behind. Captures SHOCKWAVE, what's left of Scorponok, and puts Grimlock into custody. Interesting. Still don't quite understand what exactly it ws the Grimlock did to bring Sludge back, but whatever... Autobot version of CPR, I guess.

All-in-all I enjoyed the series.

2. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Not sure how Grimlock brought back Sludge, either. Regardless, a nice solid issue, if a bit rushed at spots.

3. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

If you look, Shockwave shoots and Grimlock has knocked his arm away, and then we see Sludge turn back on. My guess was it was the shot that revived him ("Ooooer my nuts and bolts are all tingly"), although we didn't actually see anything in the actual comic, no.

At least, that was what I thought the implication was.

4. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is this issue out now?

5. Boo

Ebay:
    Yup. Released yesterday along with All Hail Megatron #10.

6. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

The art really was the biggest drawback. Aslo I the series could have used one more issue to avoid a rushed/crammed ending, I wish Sludge really had died to teach Grimmy a mose lasting leasson or at least to have to wait one more issue for him to come back. And Soundwave never got to see any action. That said, these's some really nice stuff in here. A satsifying if rushed ending for the most part.

Shockwave rules - nuff said.

Hot Rod is crazy awesome. Damaged as he is he's still willing to take on Scorponok. I love it!

Hunter is okay, and gets a happy ending...well at least until he's captured again and gets used by the Cons in AHM.

Oh look Jimmy and Verity aren't dead after all, yea! Reunion, hugs, awwww! But what is up with Verity's hair? Did no one look at what she used to look like?

UM, meh, he really didn't do anything but clean up. I was hoping he'd get at least one epic fight in there, but oh well.

I have to confess, I'm also sick of Grimlock by this point. Okay, he's done his thing and had his spotlight mini now, can we move on please?

7. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Ultra Magnus really can't deal with anything can he?

Nice tie up, but this series got really chaotic toward the end and I'm not sure if I liked that or not. Now bring on the trade!

8. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    The art is the biggest drawback to this issue, which is a shame because Nick Roche and James Raiz are both excellent artists.

Regardless a great series, miles ahead of AHM (Well, as far as issue 7 anyway, haven't read the others after that pile of shit)

9. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Well, that was a real cluster ****, wasn't it?

**** really hit the fan this issue. Problem was, too much **** hit the fan.

From both a story standpoint as well as an artistic standpoint it was quite choatic. Seemed like from one page to the next everyone just seemed to be bashing the hell out of each other, and with much of the art indecipherable, it kind of added to the whole "acid trip" feel.

I enjoyed seeing Shockwave and Scorps go at it again (with the appropriate result this time ) and enjoyed seeing the Dinbots vs Shockwave Round 3. But there really were maybe one too many cooks.

I mean, Hot Rod just seemed to stand around most of the issue, mangled mouth agape. It was hard to believe this was the same competent Hot Rod seen in his spotlight and in Escalation/Devestation. The Dinobots, once again, can't make up their freakin mind what they want. Do we stay? Do we leave? Surprise! They stay. It's official. I can't can't stand those **** anymore. Espcecially as Roche's Swoop has now stripped the reward for worst looking Transformer from movie Megatron.

Sludge coming back to life didn't help matters. It wasn't really believable in the first place that a single sting from Scorps tail would have taken him out anyway, so in that sense, I'm glad he 'rebooted' It's just that, well, can't a character just stay dead for once? I mean Grimlock blows himself and Shockwave to hell, and two pages later they're locked up in Magnus' cell.

Despite the above complaints, I will say this. It was a rocky, crazy ride, but a story happened. It was haphazard, here and there, but in the end, the plot progressed and we had some conclusion. (AHM, I'm looking at you). Simon managed to tie up all the loose ends. Shockwave is back. Soundwave is back. Scorps on ice. Magnus made his return. Verity had plastic work done and looks nothing at all like Verity. (Not sure what the hell the Monsterbots purpose was in the story, though, except to say, "Hey, cool! Mosterbots".).

The art was a big letdown, as it was very difficult to decipher. To be honest, most of this series has suffered this problem, and I think it comes down to the coloring. It was very one-dimensional, making it difficult to discern a character from a similarly colored background.

So I'd give this issue a "B-". Not bad, maybe too over the top, but the story gets somewhere and moves this continuity forward.

10. Boo

Ebay:
    Yeah, the colouring was just off through most of the series. That was my biggest problem. It's bad enough that all the Dinobots chare the same basic colour scheme, but does everything else have to also? I disliked that even more than the two incompatable art styles of Roche and Raiz in the final issue. Seriously, I would have rather there been a delay of a week or two for Roche to be able to finish the whole shebang... but oh well.

11. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    What happened to artists finishing a book by themselves?

Seems like IDW's books are now "Half by so and so, other half by so and so!" ... what's up with that?

12. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Okay, thanks to an anonymous friend, I was able to read the first four issues. Other than wanting to stab my eyes at the rather awful artwork and the fact that the Dinobots are totally out of character, the Headmasters are completely non-traditional in how the head unit looks when in it's individual robot form, and the fact I never want to read or see Sunstreaker ever again, it wasn't that bad.

Glad I didn't buy any of 'em though, I would have felt like I wasted my cash. If this is what IDW is going to shove down our throats, they can keep it.

13. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    For some reason or another, IDW really fell behind in the late January/February/early March timeframe. I think this is how they've caught back up to where they need to be.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Until next month when they fall behind again. And the month after that. And so on...

15. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    On the question of how Sludge was revived, didn't Grimlock transfer some of his spark energy to Sludge?

I thought Josh and Joana's colouring work was just fine. Joana did a great job of matching Josh's work when he left, which is something most IDW colourists seem unable to do. One of my criticisms of IDW's artwork overall is the often inconsistent colouring from issue to issue, often page to page within a single issue.

16. Dinobot Nuva

News Credits:
    Sorry Kickback, but its one of those "you had to be there" things (i.e. years of back issues).

17. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Let's go back and revisit.

G1 Cartoon = "ME GRIMLOCK/SLUDGE/SLAG/SWOOP/SNARL DUMB EAT BAD GUYS RAWR."
    Marvel G1 = "ME GRIMLOCK SMART, ME ABLE TO USE FACT THAT ME TALK LIKE MORON TO MAKE BAD GUYS THINK ME DUMB. RAWR."
    Marvel G2 = "ME STILL SMART, AND MAKING PEOPLE SICK OF ME."
    Dreamwave = "YUP, ME STILL SMART AND TALK LIKE MORON."
    Animated = "LOOKY, ME DUMB AND EAT EVERYONE!!!"
    IDW = "My name is Grimlock. I'm part of an elite squad. Just like I was in Dreamwave. And at the end of Marvel G1. And even in the BotCon 2007 comic. I've been redesigned ... to look like a knock-off Dinobot from the early 90's. Swoop's eyes scare the shit out of me. I can talk normal now, and I feel bad for screwing up the other Dinobots and ruining their lives forever. They hate me. I have to see this fight out to the end. To earn back their trust. Because they were brainwashed. Which was turned off. And then never turned back on. Yes, my name is Grimlock. I used 'me' once in this entire series, and to emphasis it, I paused after I said the word to make people chuckle."

Fuck that.

As for the Headmasters? I'm sorry, they drew Scorponok correctly for the first time in the history of Transformers comics ... and then decided it made more sense to put his face in the front of the headmaster's human form instead of the back like it's always been in every single incarnation of a headmaster.

And what the fuck is up with Hot Rod? I was like "HOLY SHIT, RID SUPER CHARGED SIDEBURN!" ... but no, it's IDW's re-imagined version of a character that is drawn to look absolutely horrible in every single panel he's in.

I want a G1 comic. Not IDW's redesigned version of G1 Transformers in a horrible storyline with no pacing to an over-exaggerated plot.

They can't even keep continuity in how they're drawn from the "ation" series to All Hail Megatron. Though I guarantee you it's from Shane's first interview when he says how in love with the G1 cartoon he was. Considering they all look exactly like the G1 cartoon (which I am okay with, it felt like I was reading a G1 story ... that went absolutely nowhere).

Just ugh. IDW has turned me off to Transformers comics.

18. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    What, they're not allowed to radically redesign characters for a new continuity of G1 anymore? How boring of you. *folds arms*

19. Dys

Dys Bitter yellow dog.

News Credits:
    *Tries to hide amusement at someone who rants at g1 fanboys for expecting the movie to be a deep retelling of g1 or like the g1 cartoon, ranting because comics which were meant as a reinvention aren't exactly like g1.*

*Tries to hide amusement at someone with an Animated version of Kickback as an icon who defends animated's chins because it's the style of animation, ranting because the design of Hotrod (Which, like the Dinobots is changed from artist to artist to suit their style, the IDW comic needing different artists to meet the deadline and get comics out on time unlike other publishers) doesn't appeal to him.*

*Fails*

20. Dinobot Nuva

News Credits:
    Seriously, what's so terrible about Headmasters not folding in half?