Max Payne (spoilers will probably be around)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Ra88, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Alright, so it opens tomorrow for me and friday for you Yanks. Anyone else cautiously optimistic about this one? The trailer already looked fairly faithfull to the game, though I'm still a bit hesitant about the valkyries (really hope they're imaginary rather then real). For the rest it seems like it matches the game perfectly though, the atmosphere, the music, the imagery...

Apple - Trailers - Max Payne

2. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If it doesn't have the super fake NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO scream when he finds his ol lady, I'm walking out of the theater

We need something to rival Darth Vader damn it

3. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh my yes, it comes out here tomorrow too (Thursday). Looking forward to it. I'll bring y'all my super exclusive review after I've seen it.

4. Ktulu

News Credits:
    Make sure it's the first one or it won't mean ANYTHING

5. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Definetly going to see it friday. First video game adaption I've been looking foward to in a long time.

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Is this out in the UK this week?

:( 

*edit* fffffffucking November?!!!!

7. Ktulu

News Credits:
    Don't worry dude maing, I got your back. I'm going to reenact it for you after I see it...in song

8. llamatron

News Credits:
    Just got back about 30 minutes ago from seeing it.

I'll try to avoid to avoid spoilers / keep them to an absolute minimum.

Disclaimer: I'm somewhat of a Max Payne FANBOY

Sooo, where to start. Well, first off this is by far the best video game -> film adaption ever. Both in terms of the quality of the film and the faithfulness of the adaptation. Plot wise it's based off the first game and is pretty dang close to it (obviously a bunch of stuff had to be cut out to make it 100 minutes long). A few little extra things where added in here and there. The tone and style of the game is captured perfectly. The structure of the film is interesting, it's about 70 minutes of talking followed by 30 minutes of shooting. Works pretty well. There are some pretty cool little nods to the game as well (pay attention to the name of a certain train station). I only have three complaints:

1) Not enough voice over. We get some, but I wanted more.

2) Not enough gun fights. There really should have been more. What we do get is pretty freaking good and feels like it came right out of the game. Lots of gunfire and running and random things being flung up in the air (pieces of paper etc). My biggest disappointment was (MILD SPOILERS, HIGHLIGHT TO READ) Max never dual wielded pistols and never did a sideways dive and shoot (as seen in my sig).

3) No sign of the theme song.

But the rest of it was pretty ace.

I'm just gonna through some thoughts out there now...

Jim Bravura is excellent.

Mona Sax is underused and possibly slightly miscast. I'm only really saying that because she always seemed to be a very pale skinned chick, but Mila Kunis is certainly not. I don't know why that bothered me but it did.

The opening of the film is spot fucking on. I was all like "FUCK YES they nailed it."

The credits are cool but feel a bit out of place as they don't really match the tone of the film.

Stay until the end for a bonus scene that's all like "LOL SEQUEL LOL."

In summary: Yeah it's pretty good. If you're a Max Payne fan you should be pleased. If you've never played the games but like absolutely magnificent visuals deliberate over the top noirish (I guess?) stylez then you'll be pleased too.

A+++ FAST SHIPPING GOOD COMMUNICATION WOULD DEAL AGAIN

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Awesome!

10. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Never knew anything about the game but the previews look cool. Mila Kunis has never equaled success in movies though,so Im a bit leary

11. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I do look forward to this movie, however would prefer it rated R...

Only 1 thing, for some reason Mark Wahlberg doesn't have the look as Max Payne. I think He could do the action part but the look is a lil off. A few friends of mine always looked at him with the constipated look he had on his face hahah!, but seriously, the actor I thought actually had a similar look was that Eric Mabius from Resident Evil. As soon as we saw his facial expression in the scene where Spence had everyone at gunpoint, we all said, that was totally Max Payne.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Glad to hear it doesn't suck then, but 70 minutes of talking? Youch, that stuff had better be good.

And llamatron, how about telling me this: Valkyries, real or hallucinations/metaphors? That's the ONE thing holding me back about this movie.

13. llamatron

News Credits:
    Totally 100% hallucinations and handled extremely well. The trailer / marketing for the film is very deceptive - the supernatural stuff is minimal (well non-existent really). There aren't magical demons flying around killing people and in fact the trailer shows pretty much all of the Valkyries stuff. It's one of the things that the film does handle very well. In fact one of the bestest parts of the film is when (SPOILER ALERT!)Max takes the drug and starts to trip and all the snow that's falling turns into embers / ash.

Further reflections of the film have made me a bit sad - mainly thinking about how they should have done things a bit differently. Yeah it's pretty good as it is, but it could (and should) have been fucking awesome amazing.

Also, I am predicting that it will probably tank pretty hard at the box office which sucks because I would like to see a sequel.

14. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

Rotten Tomatoes does not agree. It's sitting pretty with 18% right now.

Yowch.

15. llamatron

News Credits:
    Never trust Rotten Tomatoes. Indy 4 has a 76% rating. Enough said.

Although Max Payne does have some real flaws, it is likely to be harshly received by many critics because it's a video game adaption and it's really not everyone's cup of tea.

16. T2_starscream

T2_starscream Member

i'm a bit hesitant to see this, i love the game, and when i saw the trailer it just didnt look or feel the same, but, the same thing happened to me with Doom, and i thought the movie wanst bad so, i guess we'll never know til I see it

17. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch TFW2005 Supporter

I'm a non-Max Payne fan boy who never played through the games all the way but still found the game fun.

I hated this movie. Too much talking not enough action. I thought the hallucinations were fuggin awesome...and I'm quite partial to Milla Kunis so I forced myself to stand by. Ultimately though I was kinda let down, to be fair I'm not quite sure what I was expecting since I never finished the games. As a movie for the uninitiated I thought it was worth no more than a rental.

18. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Got to see it today. Thought it was pretty faithful to the game. I really like the sound in the movie, especially the shotgun shells bounching off the ground. Music was pretty good too, though it would have been to have the piano theme in there somewhere. I also liked the look of the movie, everything was just muted and dark and thought that it was kind of cool that in every scene it seemed like was either raining or snowing.

19. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Mildly interested in seeing this. Never really got into the games though. Rented the first one once, but I gave up on it after failing over and over to get past this part that I can only describe as trying to walk a tightrope in a pitch black room.

20. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I'd say it was a fair movie. The action, when it happened was pretty damn good. I particularly liked the part with the shotgun.

And truth be told, I never felt bored during all the dialogue scenes. They were interesting and added to the film quite well.