Mature Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by not_prime, Jul 20, 2008.

1. not_prime

not_prime Still Sketchin

I've been thinking for a while, and I've been pondering on the possibility on a more Mature Transformers cartoon. I just saw the trailer for Watchmen, and I have to say I'm pretty excited. But the graphic novel of Watchmen was superb. It was having superheros deal with their mortality and their vulnerability, and also morality issues.
    This is sort of what I would like Transformers to touch on. I saw a little of that during Dreamwaves G1 comics, but it wasn't done in the fashion where it was both believable and mature. Maybe with TF2 coming around, we can see that there, but otherwise I'm wanting to see a TF show or comic DIRECTLY intended for adults, and not just to sell toys. Sure, you can sell toys Hasbro, but sell them for this line like most Fan Toys. Sorta like those toys you get of movies you only find in hobby shops.
    I'm just saying, I want to have Transformers in a mature way. Gundam 00 is an example of a mature Mech anime, and if it can deal with emotions and vulnerability like that (but not in the cheezy Japanese way), then I would be totally satisfied.

2. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

Did you catch the announcement at Joecon about the PG13 animated project they're doing for the Joes?

If that goes over well enough we're basically next in line for the treatment, so that should be right up your alley.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  3. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    What taterx said, if gi joe absolute/resolute succeeds, it will happen as well to transformers, although, I imagine it will be a lot like the star wars: clone wars

4. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

I've been wanting the same thing for years and was hoping that the '07 movie would finally deliver. In reality, however, I can't expect anything with much depth or maturity to come from Michael Bay.

Let's hope this G.I. Joe experiment is successful and we get a similar treatment for Transformers. As for any toys related to such a story, I'd love to see a return of Alternators and/or an affordable Masterpiece-like line.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Yeah, pretty much this.

6. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Agreed I'm sorry but I like me some toys too or else I say no(unless the designs are taken from the classics/universe line)

7. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I loved it. I hope it´s like that. Heck it could have been during the Great War. Where you see a younger Magnus or Ratchet kicking ass.

8. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    Yepperz, I'd have to agree. We need a mature Transformers cartoon for once, since we haven't had something extremely mature since the Beast Wars/Beash Machines era. There should be a TF series with blood and gore, lots of cussing, and more sexual content. Like the Japanese series, but even more hardcore. Give it more of a hardcore militaristic feeling to it, selling toys would be fine. But since it would be an adult-themed series, give the toys high detail, but still make them suitable for kids to play with.

And I'd love to see Optimus say "Damn you, Megatron!" or "Go to bloody hell Megatron!" :) 

9. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

A perfect example of how "mature" is a relative term.

When I think of a mature Transformers series, it means one that has more depth and a more sophisticated level of storytelling than the shows that have been produced primarily for a younger target audience. Blood, gore, cussing, and sexual content don't seem like anything that would add to a Transformers story in order to realize its potential. Case in point, the '07 movie had plenty of violence, strong language, and sexual content and it still didn't deliver on the true potential of Transformers as the truly unique sci-fi story that it is.

Give me some rich character development, intrigue, a solid story arc with some good twists, and throw in some excellent action and I'll be seeing a dream come true.

10. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What. The. Fuck. Is this response sarcastic?

Yeeeeeeeeeah. I can do without sexual content, cussing and wanton blood in Transformers.

11. Melkava

Melkava Well-Known Member

I m not sure its such a good idea, remember Kiss Players?

12. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

If "Mature" means deeper characters, sophisitcated stories and the willingness to go to dark places in search of gripping drama, then I'm all for it. If it just means blood and boobies, then I think that would just looked forced and VERY immature.

Of course, if the blood and boobies are a RESULT of deeper characters and sophisticated stories, then fair enough.:D 

13. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Hahahahah, more sexual content?

Robo-boobies?

14. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

Well, Pat Lee managed it...:D 

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I think GI joe Absolute will be like Clone Wars.

16. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I would also support this fantastic idea.

Also, I'll probably get board-lynched for this but, I think it would be interesting for a Transformers cartoon to in some way deal with the more intimate emotions that its characters feel. This is not a carte blanche to go over the top with robo-boobs etc but for all the banging on some of us, myself included, have made over the concept of the sentience of the Transformers within their own canon, this part of their character is largley ignored.

Kiss Players is a dark mark on Transformers, and Japanese Anime in general and I think that the respectable animators in the Japanese industry ought to have professionally bitch slapped its creator and whatever editor approved it.

17. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    Well you have a good point. I should have also looked at this from such a perspective, and take it into account.

No sarcasm included. :) 

My point precisely. :D 

Well more intimate emotions such as relationships would be an interesting aspect of it. But I'd rather have Robo-hoes than Kiss Players anytime.

Maybe Hoebots, Hotbots, or Skankticons? XD :D 

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Does it have to specifically be a cartoon?

Cause there was this movie called 'Transformers' that came out last summer and that was a more mature version of Transformers in my eyes.

19. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I would love a more mature show in that it has depth and "can" be more violent but not necessarily constant. It deals with deeper themes such as death, morality, things of that nature. I also would like a show that is really cool to watch in the designs of the robots (I can't watch Transformers Animated because of this reason). Megatron looks awesome and Optimus Prime looks and acts like a hero. If GI Joe Resolute does well then maybe there is a chance.....

20. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I don't want my G.I.Joes murdering, bloody and having sex all day... I really don't want from my Transformers either.

I don't think anyone demanding for 'mature' knows the meaning of the word if they think that violence and sex makes mature.