Matthew Vaughn Officially Directing X-Men: First Class

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by iwasherenotyou, May 5, 2010.

1. iwasherenotyou

iwasherenotyou Medical Officer

News Credits:
  2. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have mixed feelings about this but I guess if they do a good job on it...

jD001

3. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Kick Ass, but it's apparently very good. However, I think the X-Men series was crippled with the departure of Bryan Singer as director. X3 was directed by Ratner and Wolverine was directed by Gavin Hood the excellent director of the suspenseful, masterful Rendition but was so bad you might be forgiven for thinking Ratner directed Wolverine also.

The X-Men series is basically being directed on a "yes-man" basis, like some of the James Bond movies. It doesn't matter who's filming it. Bryan Singer invented the X-Men series formula, and his X-Men movies were the best. The following 2 movies were cranked out like an assembly line, and Fox Studios already had an idea of the movie they want. They just needed someone to hold the camera, say "Action" and make sure all the explosions and stunt people do their job. Have you seen Rendition? It's excellent! Remember those rumors of Gavin wanting to leave Wolverine? He's capable of excellent drama and stories, and Fox made him film a stupid helicopter fight instead.

I'm worried that Vaughn will direct First Class but have his creative vision completely murdered and Fox Studios pressures him into releasing a movie that, for all intents and purposes, feels like it's been directed by Brett Ratner. You could put Spielberg behind the camera for all it matters, because Fox seems intent on only hiring Yes-men for this series.

4. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I did enjoy Kick-Ass, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

5. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I hate the title, but I'll still watch it...although I'll probably wait for the DVD release.