Mattel WWE Wrestling Figures Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Shin Densetsu, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Mattel's WWE line is the only wrestling line that has lured me into buying wrestling figures. The Elites are well done, and the newly announced Legends have me EXTREMELY excited for some old classics! Itching to see Hulk Hogan(because you know it's inevitable), Macho Man, old Undertaker, Eddie Guerrero and more!

We have news up now from Toy Fair 2010, with new figures!

WWE Wave 1 Legends And New Elite Series Figures
    WWE Basic And Wrestlemania Heritage Series
    WWE Entrance Greats At Toy Fair 2010
    WWE Legends Wave 2 Images

2. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

I tried to get into but ultimately ended up hating the Jakks figures because they were so innaccurate and the detailing was at best half assed.

Mattel have come in and IMO proceeded to render Jakks figures obsolete with their initial assortments especially with the Elite line and the new Legends shown at Toy Fair, the scaling is the best on any US made wrestling figures and the attention to details on things like tattoos and accessories is unprecedented........Terry Funk even has his branding iron and Roddy Piper has his bagpipes!

The body parts, whilst still somewhat recycled are already more varied than Jakks and best of all actually resemble real human beings as opposed to cartoon characters. The poseability on the Elites is excellent and achieved without any loss in how good the figure looks visually, compare that with the freaky appearance of Jakks Deluxe Agression line and you'll see just how much ass Mattel are kicking.

The only issues I have so far are the paint apps on the headsculpts aren't quite as good as Jakks and are making some of the sculpts look worse than they really are and some of the real fabric clothing looks terrible esp the Million $ Man's suit but there's not really much can be done at that scale without going into a much higher end pricepoint so I'll cut them some slack there.

Shin Densetsu,
    I think you may have to wait for a Mattel Hulk Hogan as he's currently signed with TNA Wrestling but once they tire of appeasing his ego ( 18 months max I reckon ) he'll inevitably make peace with Vince McMahon ( again ) and sign some sort of Legends contract and the same will probably be true for Ric Flair.

Savage is an intresting one. Aside from BS Internet rumors nobody but the people involved knows the real reason for the apparent heat between Savage and McMahon but the recent release of a Savage DVD would indicate a cooling of that situation so maybe a figure has a decent chance of happening.

My top 5 wanted Legends would be,

1.Bret "Hitman" Hart ( It'd rule to have a Hitman figure that didn't have thunder thighs and Scott Steiner biceps. )

2.Vader ( Jakks made him look like a fat slob as they recycled Yokozuna's body parts but I'd like to see him get his own mold that resembles the Vader that scared the crap out of people in early 90's WCW. )

3."Macho Man" Randy Savage ( Jakks wanted to make him but McMahon wouldn't allow it at that time so maybe Mattel will have better luck. )

4.Ultimate Warrior ( Mattels attention to detail tells me they'd do an awesome job with Warriors airbrushed attire from shows like Wrestlemania 7. )

5.The Undertaker circa 1990-91
    ( Jakks tried and failed many times to give us a decent debut 'Taker and somehow managed to make Paul Bearer taller along the way so hopefully Mattel can show them how it should be done as their current Elite series version of him is excellent. )

3. 100% Mackem

100% Mackem Banned

I think if I were to start collecting Wrestling Figures, I'd need to get the older ones from the Nighties ! In fact Wrestling figures is one of the few lines that I don't collect...

4. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

I love the new Mattel WWE figures. I don't even watch wrestling and I just want to buy them all. I am very pleased to see that the figures are scaled. I was so sick of seeing Rey Mysterio and the Undertaker standing eye to eye. I'll pick up a bunch of the elites and try to avoid everything else.

5. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

My first 2 Mattel figures were Elite series 1 Rey Mysterio & Undertaker and the scale is dead on, Rey is MUCH shorter and

I've since bought Elite series 1 CM Punk and Edge and the basic styled Wrestlemania Heritage series Steve Austin which I might resell or trade now the Legends version is coming out.

Next up for me will be Elite series 2 Triple H and Randy Orton which aren't out at UK retail yet then I'll probably pre-order most of the Legends.

6. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Figures look awesome because of the accuracy to detail and scale. So I'm going to collect as many as I can. Man, my wallet will be on fire.

7. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    I have Elite HHH and he is AWESOME. Came with his sledgehammer and water bottle, I usually have him posed as if he is dumping water over himself like he usually does. Sculpt is EXCELLENT.

I also have the Entrance Greats HHH. AWESOME presentation. I threw the box away but it's one of those figures that looks AWESOME MIB. I just wish for the higher asking price, that they would use the Elite bodies instead of the basic.

8. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:

Oh god yeah, I agree man. I tried to get into the Jakks figures but just couldn't, even when KB Toys had a huge sale on the deluxe aggression figures years back. Sure Mattel's figures are durable toys too, but the Jakks figures look too toyetic in comparison. I even got a 3.75" Undertaker before and felt underwhelmed. Durability was great but it just didn't feel complete.

For Hulk Hogan, can't Mattel just make a version of Hogan from his WWF/E days? I figure that would be a way out of conflicting with TNA and the upcoming Jakks TNA line. I would LOVE to see Ultimate Warrior as well. He was a great wrestler(but his comments on his site are pretty shocking; let's just say I like him as a wrestler and that's about it). In any case I think the entire reason he left WWE was due to lack of creative control and rights to his wrestling name, and Jakks was able to make multiple figures of him so who knows.

I'd LOVE to see a new Vader. God yeah. VADER TIME! Especially an Elite WCW Sting too! I remember their feud where Sting could seemingly never beat Vader.

9. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I will only buy a Hulk Hogan.

10. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
  11. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I guess here aren't that many people interested in these around here but I picked up some more recently (because they were on clearance for no reason) so I figured I'd post some of the pictures I've taken.

When the Elite figures first appeared I picked up an Undertaker because it was too awesome. I also got a Classics Andre the Giant at TRU even though it's not as articulated. Still cool. Also got a cheapish ring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, I would have liked to get more figures but at $15, and considering I've been buying way too much other stuff lately anyway, I didn't get anyone else. However, I was mighty tempted by some of the Legends wave 1 figures. But I still didn't get any. But when wave 2 came around, I just couldn't resist getting this particular fellow.

[​IMG]

Then recently I found a couple of the Best of 2010 figures on clearance at Target As Is for like $3 each. I have no idea why because there is absolutely nothing wrong with them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. autobotblaster

autobotblaster Y U NO!?!?!

"Im callin' you out!" Mattels WWE Line

So ive been picking up the new Mattel WWE figures lately and i dig the line alot.The box art is great, the figures are very nice and detailed. Weather its Basic, Flex force, Elites or classics this line has a wide appeal.

Anyone else picking these figures up? Your thoughts on the line? Disscuss!

13. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I've been getting some Elite and Legends figures.

There is another thread for WWE figures but there was almost no interest and it got buried pretty quickly.

14. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

In less than a year with the license Mattel have blown Jakks away.

For the first time ever there's figures of American wrestling stars that actually resemble the real human beings, the scaling in particular is remarkably good and the body molds look a lot more realistic too.

There seems to be a much higher level of detail even on the Basic figures and I've yet to see any evidence of the sort of half assing that Jakks were guilty of such as designs being left off the back of figures.

The highlight for me are definitely the Legends, most of which make their Jakks counterparts look obsolete. The only issue I have with Mattel so far is that the Legends aren't officially available at UK retail which makes them expensive but they are damn good.

I've just ordered Legends series 4 Demolition and will possibly be getting the SDCC Exclusive Undertaker and Defining Moments "Macho Man" Randy Savage before Christmas as well.

15. autobotblaster

autobotblaster Y U NO!?!?!

Oh yes, without a doubt they've by far exceeded and surpassed Jakks Half-assery. The basics are even worth the time this go around because of the fact that mattel is putting thought into pushing a product out that both collectors and kids will enjoy. Not that jakks didnt try to do that, they did in many regards, but over all i feel they missed there mark plenty of times and was really happy when a more grounded company got a hold of the lisence. Not bashing jakks as a whole, theyve got plenty of other great lines, but thats were there money and focus went during the end years.

16. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

My collection,

Current stars,
    [​IMG]

Legends,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not pictured,

SDCC Undertaker, Legends series 1 Steve Austin & Ricky Steamboat
    ( haven't opened yet )

Legends series 2 Rick Rude & Terry Funk
    ( friend hasn't sent them yet )

Once I get the Rock, I'll start an Attitude era display with him, Austin & 'Taker and I'll put Steamboat & Funk with Vader in a NWA/WCW lineup.

The possibility of a Heenan Family display with Rude,Perfect and whoever else is released is also tempting although if I divide them into too many sub groups I'll have no space left :D 

17. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's a decent Goldust figure now? D:

I...think I need to go looking for that.

18. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Mattel have made 2 figures of Goldust and both are very good. The one I have is from Elite series 6 and also comes with a robe and his wig.

The robe is sculpted in a similar soft plastic to Undertaker's coat and is very nicely detailed.........I'll post a pic if you like.

The other Mattel Goldust is in Basic series 4 and has a different attire and a neutral facial expression.......I don't usually collect Basic figures but I might get that one so I can swap the heads around.

19. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I haven't watched Wrestling in years but.. since when did Goldust look like that? Goldust always looked more like his father than a body builder lol

20. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

If you think he looks too buff I suggest you find some images of the Jakks versions.........the Mattel one is skinny by comparison :D 

I agree that he's a bit too defined but he has slimmed down quite a bit recently, I guess Mattel didn't think it worthwhile making a unique body mold for him..........they are better than Jakks in this area but still reuse a lot of parts because it'd cost too much to make unique molds for every single character.