Mattel DC Superheroes

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Pravus Prime, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Goodbye!

This am long review of Marvel lamevillians figure!

Me get Bizarro today special delivery from cornerstorecomics. Me am so sad! It am one of many worst DC Figures ever! It no in scale with DCD figures! It no have many points of articulation - No ball jointed neck and shoulders, swivel biceps, hinge elbows, mid-torso swivel, waist, double hips that am tight, thigh swivel, hinge knees, hinge and swivel ankles! It no have accessories or comic book; no giant tire with axle to hold! It no have details on it either! It no fun at all!

Hello!

:D  Okay, that was silly, but I wanted to do that.

I had been waiting for the Superman wave, and stupidly decided not to pre-order. After seeing some really nice pics of the figures, I found a store that had Bizarro for a good price, and ordered it. Unfortunatly, at least here, the distribution for the DC Superheroes wave has been atrocious, I've seen a few of the batman figures, and yet to see a Superman wave figure.

One of the things that I like about Bizarro after seeing the pics, that although he and Supes are the same from the waist down (insert joke here), Bizarro has a much larger upper torso, one that (IMHO) does the figure justice. As I mentioned, the hips are rather weird, he's got the normal swivel hip articulation, then a second hinge, that allows him to spread his legs into a wider stance. It may just be mine, or it may be all of them, but that swivel is surprisingly loose, not enough to worry about him doing the splits or anything while on display, just much looser than you'd think.

He fits in very well with the DCD figures, the same size as most of the earlier figures, though shorter than some of the later figures. (Like giant Justice Superman) At 8 bucks, they're cheaper than DCD figures, have a ton of articulation, an actual acessory, and a comic book. (Modern Superman run, Superman and Bizarro wake up on April 1 to discover they're in each others bodies.) While Doomsday doesn't look to be that big, he does look nice, and the upcoming Darkseid and Armored Luthor look very nice, far better than anything DCD has done. It's a pity that Mattel can only do Batman and Superman figures, it would be nice to see what they could do with the full DC Universe license.

I got two Bizarro's, one I'm customizing into 'The Righteous' from The Twilight Experiment.

2. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

If i ever see Sups locally i'll get him just so my MLs can beat on him :p  Marvel > DC :p 

And i'll prolly get Batman wave 2 Batman if i see him, then he can laugh at Sups for getting beat down by the MLs.

3. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I have yet to see anything besides the first wave

4. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I was considering buying DCD Batman and Bane but MLs spoiled me.... I now prefer figures with fair number of articulations and DCD don't even come close. I was annoyed by Batman's hands in particular. Maybe I'll get a ML custom Batman instead.

Sorry for being off topic.

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I picked up a complete set of the Superman wave...I have mixed reactions for it...

MLs have great articulation but the downside is that some of them are too multi-jointed that the 'look' of the toy is spoiled...

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    haha. gotta love bizzarospeak.

7. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

When I see the Superman wave, I'll pick up Bizarro nd Supergirl. Superman is a big maybe. I already have JLA Direct Supes.

8. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

i wish i could find the Superman wave... half the Wal-Marts here have The Batman vehicles put on the DCSH pegs, a quarter don't even have pegs for them anymore, and the rest have like 2 Scarecrow a piece and nothing else... and the Target here is no better with the tag disappearing last week :( 

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:

You may want to take a look at the first wave Bane from Mattel then. Far more articulation (I believe), looks pretty good.

Lately I've been rather annoyed by DCD. Refusing to let Mattel have the license to do something other than Batman and Superman, and their QC has been atrocious. I picked up a Knightfall Catwoman and she broke coming out of the box. DC's support line approach is, "You bought it sucker, HA!" For a company that started off with the mission statement that they'd make the figures companies like Hasbro and Mattel never will, they've quickly changed their tune, 52% of the entire product year is Batman or Superman for '06.

10. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

Yeah DCD qc is terrible. I still remember that terrible dark knight returns batman I bought (shudder!)

11. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Just curious, what was the QC problem for your DCD dark knight?

12. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

The DCSH Superman figs that I've seen so far all have bad paint apps around his hairline where they were not painted fully to the the hairline. Oh and my DCSH Batman has blue things around his knees where they should be grey like the rest of his costume. I didn't look closely enough to catch that mess-up when I bought it, but I guess I can live with it. He's just standing next to my live-action The Tick's Batmanuel :D 

13. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    pics please? If the articulation is good I might get a supes and Bizzarro..

14. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The Bizzarro is pretty cool, but the things still look cheaper than MLs to me, despite costing the same or more depending where you look.

15. DeathFrogurt

DeathFrogurt The frogurt is cursed!

Wave 1 was just a filler wave- they were all reused molds, even Killer Croc as a tweaked and tail-less version of an earlier mold. It might have been bad strategy to kick off the line with reused/outdated molds. Anyhow, I wouldn't consider wave 1 to be representative of future figures.

However, early pics of Batman, Superman, Bizarro, and Supergirl showed them coming with bases, and now none of them do. If they really wanted to rival ML, they should really throw some bases in there, especially for flying figures. Mildly disappointing.

Anyhow, I have Supes and Bizarro, and they're pretty cool. They definitely strike a balance between too much articulation and not enough. Capes are molded vinyl, which makes them pretty backheavy, but the capes can support them so they don't fall over which is great. I like Bizarro's accessory, but it's so heavy that he can't actually hold it aloft. You have to drag it on the ground, which doesn't display his strength very well at all. And yet his hand looks strange without it, unlike the new MOTU figures' hands which look good either way. Oh well.

Anyone have any comments on Doomsday or Supergirl?

16. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:

I don't have any I'm afraid. (I really need to get a digital camera...)

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_041906a.htm

17. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Here's my take:

Doomsday
    Pros - decent sculpt and articulation
    Cons - scale - he should have been bigger

Supergal
    Pros - same as Doomsday
    Cons - she doesn't look one bit like the one seen at toy fairs and at the back of the card.

I can't really complain because the toys were cheap - around US$10 in my country...the QC was so-so and I took quite awhile to choose my toys.

18. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Picked up Superman, Bizzaro, and Doomsday at Walmart today. Passed on Supergirl because I don't really dig the white-t-shirt costume and the paint was kind of sloppy. I really like the three I picked up though.:thumb  My only nit-pick is that Superman doesn't have the "S" on the back of his cape. I can't wait for armor-suit Lex :rock 

19. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Don't forget Darkseid too! I hope Mattel makes him BIG! :D 

20. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

found a lone Bizarro, which I still would've grabbed if not for the big paint streak across his chest :(