Masters of the Universe

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tampalicious, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

I youtubed the whole movie for the first time yesterday, thought I'd share some opinions.

1) Can you imagine or tell me: This must have been the same way us TF fans felt during certain parts of the Baymovies. Like....I thought we were gonna see some He-Man.
    Instead, the fans got this. A young couple (straight down to the jean jacket), finds some "plot device" , and legendary characters get transplanted from their setting and put into "reality/earth".

2) Im not an expert, but I can almost garuntee He-Man doesnt use guns. Im sorry, thats just how it is. Really? He-Man walkin around shooting at people??? With a friggin Megatron gun?

3) He-Man doesn't lift, throw, or break anything. Hey why should he chuck cars at hovercrafts when he can just shoot them right? Jeez..... Seriously, I just wanted to see him walk up and "he-man punch" someone right in the face. WOP!!

4) He-Man doesn't wear capes. He just doesn't. Lion-O wore a cape a couple times. He-Man would have looked spot on but they gave him a "cape". uhh....

5) "Duncan"/ Man-at-Arms was actually pretty funny. "I'm hungry." lol! They messed up his color scheme, but at least he looked pretty close.

6) Teela had the worst costume. I guess they didnt want to put gratuitous ass on the screen, there were a couple scenes when it would have been perfect for her to be more "heavy metal magazine" style, with the butt-crack etc.

7) The bald police guy was hilarious. I guess you could call him the "Simmons" of that movie.

8) The little wizard-gnome thing....reminded me of that creature that took a piss in Labyrinth.... thats about it. But it made me realize how real costumes are better than todays cgi. Gollum should have been more like that

9) Beast Man was sick. Gotta love Beast Man. The other bad guys I think were made up for the movie, I could be wrong. Except of course....

10) Evil-Lynn. I thought they kinda fudged her costume, same with Sorceress. Perfect oppurtunity for some hotties, but they use some old lady with christmas lites instead ?

Hmmm.....not sure what else. Skeletor was badass, he was a little corny at times. He seemed like Jack Palance but he wasnt. His "i like gollld" suit at the end was dumb. Shoulda kept the scheme. His troopers look like Darth Vader fanboys.

I just loved when He-Man got whipped, that was crazy. He was the perfect actor for that, even though his acting was hilarious. "I have the power!" LOL!!!!!

That scene in the house was so BAD. And the pink car?? That was when I thought of the Bayverse and was like...."I bet fans in the theatre were like....what the hell is this? Thought we were gonna see some He-Man stuff." Which they had.....at the first and last scenes.....

It was fun to watch finally, just to see it. Never realized Cox was in it, that was weird.

They have to make a new one taking place in Eternia, that would be so badass. It's hard for me to tell who kicks more ass, He-Man or Thundercats. That would be one wicked battle though for sure. I wonder if Skeletor and Mumm-Ra belong to the same lodge?

2. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    80s cheese at its best! Frank Langella as Skeletor was made of pure win.

3. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I really like this old movie. It wa goof for the time and the budget and Frank Langella stole the show as Skeletor.

4. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I think the movie holds up pretty well, actually.

5. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    The MOTU movie was awesome...end of story. In all the 80s cheesy glory.

6. Grimlocks Pretender Shell

Grimlocks Pretender Shell Member of the Church of Quake.

MOTU was a fantastic film. Cheesy? O yes! It wasn't like the cartoon but like the OG mini comics with a bit of Jack Kirby New Gods thrown in there.

7. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    That first point I can easily explain. This sort of thing was a bit of a trend in the late 80s/early 90s. Taking fantasy characters, and putting them in modern settings. The entire reason for this was to make a fantasy movie on the cheap. Why spend a fortune on expensive fantasy sets and backdrops, when you can just film in the city?

8. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Also the movie was based on the comics rather the the cartoon. Put those together and that explains most of the movie.

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    and therein lies why it was a flop. it turned Kids off as it was so far removed from the Cartoon. Not to mention by the time it came out the series was past its prime having been off the air for over a year. It was okay not the best movie ever made but far from the worst.

10. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

This is one of the best bad movies of all time, Langella's Skeletor totally steals the show and love all the Kirby referencing.

It would have been way worse if they made it like the cartoon. Aside form the fact that most 80s fantasy movies are terrible, two hours of stupid plans and unintentional homoeroticism m would have bombed even more.

11. coinilius

coinilius Well-Known Member

There's still plenty of homoerotiscism in the movie - check out the He-Man whipping scene :O

12. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Good point actually, i'll concede that.