Heavy/Scratch: Masterpiece Windcharger

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Wikkid, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

Really wanted to do a Windcharger to go with my Brawn...... cept I sold my Brawn. Everything I do will be sold once completed as I have no collection left anyways. Anywho, Windcharger is a re-shelled 82 Trans Am onto an Alt Mirage chassis with Smokescreen arms and head. Still needs some modding, painting and filler panels installed before hitting Ebay. See whatcha think.

Attached Files:

2. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    Looking good!

I really like how the rear window area forms his legs like the original G1.

3. Nujevad

Nujevad Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Not to sound so critical, but masterpieces entail a level of show-accuracy. Alternator Mirage's body doesn't look at all like Windcharger.

4. Wikkid

The term "Masterpiece" is used in different ways within the custom community. Some use it to describe a custom that is the best version of, others use it in a strictly toon accurate sense. My own titles are based on size class as in "This custom best fits within _________ line".
    I do appreciate the feedback but not entirely sure what you mean.

[​IMG]
    ^^This is a side by side comparison of the toy, toon, and custom. The toon is impossible to build unless it's nontransformable as the show cheated heavily by having every discernible car part disappear. I do admit to leaning heavily toward the toy on this one.

5. Nujevad

Ebay:
    If you're going for a size class that fits the Masterpiece line, then using a deluxe class figure would be a better fit. The alternators are the right size for medium sized autobots like Jazz and Silverstreak, not minibots like Windcharger.

6. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Just because WC was a "Minibot" in the toy line, doesn't mean that's what he would transfer too in a "scaled" line or something reality based....unless you don't want him to be a 'toon accurate car anymore.

7. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

I think this is looking great!

8. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

This is a great update on windcharger.

9. Nujevad

Ebay:
    He wasn't just a small in the toyline, but small in the in the show.Height-wise, he was maybe a bit taller than bumblebee but much shorter than the likes of Prowl, Ironhide and Mirage.

So I wonder, if scale and screen accuracy are out of the equation, then what is left?

10. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's the vehicle scale, as most cars are roughly the same size. Regardless, the maker can call it whatever he likes. Scale in the TF world is always subjective. Proper "true" scale in alt modes will not translate to robot modes and vice versa.

11. Wikkid

I'm not sure why arguing over artistic interpretation is relevant, but clearly this image shows him to be significantly shorter than Mp Hot Rod and Sunstreaker and would be dwarfed by MP Prime. (Shoulder height)

[​IMG]

It's fair to say he may not be exact to toon, but this is using an accurate vehicle as Windcharger was/is an 82 Trans Am. The louvers will be seen on his legs, the fenders end up on his shoulders, the doors on his arms, and the dimensions of his chest will be in place as well as a square head when finished. If making a transformable Windcharger that's dead accurate to the show is possible, it's well beyond my abilities. For now, I'll continue to build versions that take obvious cues from the toon and build them in a realistic scale proportionate to each other. (1/24 scale vehicle/ minibots shorter than regular Autobots in robot mode)

12. rmac-69

rmac-69 TF HUNTER

I know you are trying to be polite. But for the love of God stop trying to explain yourself. Regardless of how much time you put into a custom and how awesome it may look, someone is always going to rain on your parade. Some people just can't be satisfied.

I on the other hand can't wait to see WC finished as he already looks awesome! :thumbs2: 

13. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

well said. I'm greatful to have seen your amazing MP customs throughout the years, and each new thread you post, makes an ordinary day better, and excited for finished projects in the future.

great to see you back (for now ;) 

14. MROptimusPrime

MROptimusPrime LEGAL NAME: OPTIMUS PRIME

News Credits:
    Whoever is complaining about Windcharger's size is not taking into account that the Mini-Bots were not made to be actual cars in REAL life. They were suppose to be toy cars in REAL life, that is why their molds are so small. Hasbro did not bring them over as toys, they brought them over as real cars along side the other Autobots. So that makes any conversation about it mute to begin with. It looks great and you have the exact mold you would need.

15. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

^My thoughts exactly!

16. Christopher-2

Christopher-2 Well-Known Member

Great job. This is what the REAL Windcharger would look like. Scalewise and all. If only HasTak had thought of this. I'd then want my Decepticon KARR repaint!

17. Fish Sandwich

Fish Sandwich The Immortal King Tasty

Excellent, but the hood looks a bit odd just sticking up off his back.

18. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Looks cool! i think your scale is fine, and i'd be doing the same thing.

I get into arguemants about the scale of minibots with a freind all the time. he thinks they should be scaled like the toys were, I choose the robot and real world vehcile they are based on. Things is, we're both right. So we respectfully agree to disagree and collect the toys as we see fit. Same thing came up when the ROTF seaspray came out. i thought it was great, he said it was too big.

BACK ON TOPIC, I love seeing you pick a scale and go with it, and all your customs turn out awesome. it's funny how windcharger gained popularity with the RTS scout. He was never on my radar, but now I'm liking the "mini-bots" more and more. there are some great and quirky characters in there. it's similiar to how I didn't care much about blaster until I read the marvel comic, now I like it alot more, and I wouldn't have bought the ML if it hadn't been for that.
    Sorry, that was kind of a tangent.....

Ahem.....WIKKID, You custom GOOOOOD!

Randy!

19. Nujevad

Ebay:
    Forget the car size, that will always be debatable, but I'm talking about the robot size. Look at the old G1 cartoon, he's still shorter than the likes of Prowl, Mirage, Wheeljack and Jazz. We know that Transformers employ a bit of mass shifting when changing into their alt modes, but they still roughly keep their original robot mode sizes, no matter what form they transform into.

As for the argument that vehicle size is the scale that should be followed, then that's going to be even more of a headache. If Masterpiece Rodimus is the benchmark, then Windcharger should be around the same size, not smaller.

@Wikkid: Look, I'm not saying that your custom is terrible, I'm just wondering of the title "Masterpiece" is justified.

20. MROptimusPrime

MROptimusPrime LEGAL NAME: OPTIMUS PRIME

News Credits:
    He is only shorter because his alt mode was suppose to be a TOY in REAL life like I stated before. You can not make him smaller unless you are going to make him a character like DOTM Wheelie.