Masterpiece Voltron Question

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Butuman, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Butuman

Butuman Well-Known Member

What exactly is the difference between the 2 masterpiece voltron figures?:
    25th Anniversary Metallic Voltron Lion Force Gift Set $64.99
    25th Anniversary Metallic Voltron Lion Force Gift Set - Voltron Figures at BigBadToyStore

and
    Voltron Lion Force Gift Set (Plastic Version) By Toynami $49.99
    Voltron Lion Force Gift Set (Plastic Version) - Voltron Figures at BigBadToyStore

I know both are plastic, but from what I remember reading up on and seeing reviews, the plastic version already had a metallic looking paint on it. What exactly is the difference in that 25th anniversary Metallic Voltron set besides the box/packaging? Any help would be much appreciated as I've been wanting to purchase MP Voltron for quite sometime.

Thanks!

2. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

The plastic version really didn't have a metallic paint job. Not compared to the die cast version. This version gives it that metallic look with the plastic price.

3. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    It still lacks the chrome of the metal masterpiece version though, which in my mind is one of the nicest parts, but hey, what do I know? ;) 

4. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    from waht ive seen in reviews the diecast one has a hard time standing up and you cant really play with it because its so heavy. while the plastic one doesnt have that issue. and theres the price thing as well

but I dont own either I really want that Toynami version just cant afford it

5. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    The diecast version has absolutely no problem standing. It doesn't have any stability problems at all, really, because the toy itself can't really be posed in any way other than standing due to the lack useable ankle, knee, and hip articulation (it's there, it's just unusable because the joints don't bend in a way that leaves the toy able to stay upright. This is the case with all versions, not just the diecast version).

The plastic version is lighter, but not all that much more playable because of the above leg joints. It does have a bit easier time posing the arms though because the connection there is a bit tenuous, and it does benefit from the lighter materials.

EDIT: plus that chrome is oh-so-nice.

[​IMG]

The plastic version is a perfectly good substitute, though, and at the cheaper price, it's tough to beat if you don't already have one.

6. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    oh guess it was just the review I watched he had and even said he had a hard time standing it up. nvm then

7. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl I'm the Goddamed Two-Face

News Credits:
    Whats the robot on the right called? I saw it before in an old cartoon and cant place it for nothin.

8. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Slight OT: It's a Soul of Chogokin Voltes V. I think it was also on the old US cartoon "Force Five"

9. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I have the Metal one (Got it at Botcon 07) and I love it. My Daughter (10) wants one very badly, I might get her one of the Plastic ones for Christmas. (Golion is her favorite Anime)

10. Butuman

Thank you all for the responses. So basically the metallic version contains no diecast, just a plastic copy with "metallic" paint? Another is, which one of the above would you guys prefer buying? Thanks again!

Respectfully,

-Butuman

11. Reeds

Unless you're a massive Voltron fan, go with the plastic. If you enjoy Voltron and just want a cool Golion on the shelf, the metallic version is nicer than the original plastic release. If you need the best of the best, go for die cast.

12. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I still have my original diecast Voltron figure from '84 that I paid with my own birthday money. He's pretty beat up so I had to get the new diecast version.

13. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I remembered correctly, the 1st batch (first 3000 or 5000?)of the Toynami Voltron had problems. Such as breakages with the lions' limbs and it had difficulty standing. Alot of collectors in my country who bought him were very unhappy.

No such problems with the subsequent batches though. The way to check the number is through the certificate no. - if I remembered correctly.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  14. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Yeah, you want to make sure you get one numbered higher than 5,000, I think. The total production is 15,000 pieces.

15. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yep, I have an early diecast Toynami Voltron and if I want to display him I have to lean him backward against a wall. The hips are so loose that if I stand him straight and don't prop him up he does a dramatic lunge forward into oblivion. I've been tempted to set up a display where MP Voltron and SOC Ideon are facing each other, each leaning forward and proping each other up. It takes two to prevent a shelf-dive. :) 

16. Reeds

Did Toynami ever release that base with sword and shield stand?

17. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Really? Hmm...I have to look at mine. I think mine was pretty loose but I just assumed because it was heavy. My only real complaint is the fact that the red and green lion waist can only bend in one direction. It makes sense in robot mode but not in lion mode. I kind of want to mod it but not for the price I paid.

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I have the 'plastic' one.

The metallic look of the lions' legs is nice enough.
    If you want to get the whole thing shiny, get the metallized one.

I have no idea why anyone would get the vinyl non-transforming one, convention exclusive or not.

19. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As far as I can recall - nope.

Sorry dude, I don't quite understand - which part of "really", dude? That the first batch of the combined form had difficulty standing? The broken lions' limbs?

20. Butuman

Just saw a video review on Youtube, seems like there there is barely any difference between the metallic paint version than the normal plastic version, just a "mist of glitter" was added on I guess to give it more sheen. I preordered 2 of the normal plastic $49.99 for $100, saved me $30, all I have to do is a little bit more waiting. Thanks to all the responses.