Masterpiece to become the next "Classics" line?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Hyperoptic, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I'm just wondering if I'm the only one that sees the Masterpiece line ramping up in the near future to become the new "Classics" line?
    I think a good indicator of something like this happening would be if MP Sideswipe ends up being a smaller size, say comparable to Alternators.
    I know we are missing a few G1 things in the current "Classics", but it seems like a good portion of the iconic figures have been covered already.
    Anyways, it just seems like it would be a logical way to hown in even more on the collector market.

Thoughts?

2. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I can see where you're coming from, it does seem more like an up-scale higher end Classics line.

3. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    We can hope......

4. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Man that's going to be a pretty expensive new "Classics" line. Not sure how viable it is as one though, given the price point, I'm not sure the mass collector market would be buying a Masterpiece version of say Tracks or Hoist. I can see them doing the more popular Autobot Cars - Prowl, Jazz, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, Bluestreak, etc but anything beyond that, well, really don't see it happening.

5. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

It would be nice, but they'd probably wind up as exclusives of some sort. MP is all about spending that extra nickel to go for incredible accuracy. The figures are so cost-uneffective it's not even funny, so even at smaller sizes they'll still probably not drop below $40.

Honestly though, if HasTak was going to ramp up the line and dedicate themselves to multiple characters per year, I'll do it through online instead of trying to get brick and mortar stores to try and peddle them through.

6. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I don't necessarily think of it as taking over the classics line in any way, but I definitely see it growing and becoming one that has it's own divide of fans like classics does.

Personally, I plan on becoming one of those fans, because, as I've posted before, once the MP line ramps up, I plan on getting rid of my classics, and sticking strictly to those. There's just a certain level of "class" to them that comes off as a very "adult" oriented, and just comes off better on shelves. I think I even told a friend that they were becoming, "classics for adults".

This is a good thread, and from my conversations, it seems like there is actually a good amount of posters that are on board with this.

7. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's why I was mentioning about the Sideswipe scale. I assume that if the cars were to be smaller, the price point would go down with it...

8. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    Eh... with the rate of 2 Masterpiece figures per year, it will take Masterpiece 40 years to cath up with the current classics lineup.

9. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Yes, even then, with a cheaper price point, I'm sure Hasbro/Takara would think twice about doing less popular characters like Tracks and Hoist. With the costs of making them screen accurate as most Masterpiece figures go, they can only go so low, even at a smaller scale. With characters like Sideswipe, Prowl, Ironhide they can at least recoup mold costs through multiple character releases, while other characters like Sunstreaker are probably popular enough to sell despite being a unique mold figure. I would think they would make enough new MP figures to be at least form a part of the original G1 crew, but it probably won't end up as complete.

10. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I hear ya about characters like Hoist, heck we don't even have one in the current Classics line-up. I'm just thinking about when Alternators and Binaltech came out. I mean they were top of the line in engineering in 03-04, and they managed to make them around 20$ for Alts and 50$ for BT. By the way, they actually made 2 Tracks in those lines, a blue one and a yellow one! :p 

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  11. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Sorry I wrote Tracks when what I had in mind was Skids :p  Tracks at least has the "advantage" of being a sports car. And yeah, I do remember them being priced as such, but then again, I picked up my MP-1 Convoy for like $80-90 when he came out, MP10 is going for more than double that now.

12. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    There has been a definitive price increase, but don't forget MP-10's trailer. I'm wondering though, wasn't MP-4 around 250 as well? I forget.

By the way, they have Skids in Alts and BT too! :p 

Anyways, I'll stop now. I don't want this thread to be about me selling the idea of this possibility. I just want to get everyone's take on it. :) 

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    If he's going to be in scale with MP-10 like they say, I think he's going to be smaller than Alternators. Closer to Alternity, maybe.

14. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I could see them ramping up the releases, but am wondering what price point would make it feasible for the US market. I have no basis for this, but if they do it, I hope they don't start "dumming them down" in order to either meet a price point or crank them out. Would rather have two great figures than five so-so ones.

If they do, I have a feeling like it is going to be like a lot of recent lines. Heavy on Autobots, low on D-Cons.

15. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    When I joined the fandom and until now, I've always felt Masterpiece was a sub-division of Classics. I don't feel that Masterpiece only line with multiple releases a year would be very profitable because of the price point they come out at. I could be wrong, but I do find this a highly interesting topic.

16. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist Well-Known Member

I dont know. I'm happy with my Classics collection and its near completeness. If 3rd parties can keep cranking out the combiner bots for a few more years, and Has/Tak helps out with a few more bots, I can retire a happy G1 TF fan.

MP stuff is sure awesome, but I don't know if I trust Has/Tak to keep me happy with the price, availability, and character selection in an MP line. I love my iGear seekers though. If that is the lines potential I don't know how I can say no.

But, I wouldn't feel right parting with my classics for an incomplete MP line that I would never fully be able to trust would even come to a satisfying completion. Of course, I've realized Has/Tak never actually wants collectors to feel complete. :D 

What would happen to gestaults in an MP line? Would you just use Hercules as your MP Devy? I probably would. :) 

Think of how close the Classics line is to completion for USA G1 toon lovers...

What do I still want from Classics? (3P or Has/Tak)
    Has/Tak Blitzwing deluxe
    3P Predaking TFC scale
    3P Superion TFC scale
    3P Bruticus TFC scale
    3P Omega Supreme scale with Hercules
    3P Menasor
    3P MP dinobot Sludge scale with MP Grimlock
    3P MP dinobot Slag scale with MP Grimlock
    3P MP dinobot Snarl scale with MP Grimlock
    3P MP dinobot Swoop scale with MP Grimlock
    3P or Has/Tak Trailbreaker
    3P or Has/Tak Hoist
    3P Cliffjumper
    3P Bumblebee
    3P Beachcomber
    3P Outback
    3P Pipes
    3P Shockwave
    3P Tripticon

That is a really short list when you think about how far we have come...

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think the "average" collector on here really won't be totally on board with this, at least to the point as with Classics - Genrations simply because of cost. On one level, TFs fans generally are those who are willing to pay for their collections, and on other hand there are those who are willing to go as cheaply as possible. Even with the Masterpieces as they are, many fans have the attitude of "I'll just wait for the Hasbro version since it'll be cheaper".

This hits the nail on the head, I think. Frankly, I was pretty surprised by the announcement of Lambor being the next mold. The only way it makes sense to me is the amount of redecoing and usage the mold can generate.

People complained enough about the Alt/Bt line when it was the "update" line where molds were reused for characters and it took too long for us to get certain favorites.

I do have to say that threads like this help me evaluate where I want my collection to go and such in terms of modern figures. On one end, we have an "upscaling" of characters with the MP line (going with the hypothesis that Hyper is proposing manifests), and then on the other we have the "downscaling" of what we already have (deluxes, most notably). While we may have 40 Generations toys on the way, it's always having to ride the coattails of whatever is current (not unexpected, but it limits the line).

18. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Oh right sorry :)  I forgot what he went for, as I never got one :) 

Anyway, for me, it would be interesting if they did put out more Classics stuff in the MP line, but I don't expect them to come close to the cast that's already been put out of the regular Classics line.

19. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I can see the potential for them to become a new classics like line but I doubt TomyTakaras commitment to following through with more molds. It seems that they are frequently mixing up the scale to invent new lines. Then after an initial burst of characters the line just fades to repaints. I don't want to commit to spending a fortune on a new scale classics only to find out in another year they they didn't really mean it.

If they want my money I want to see them announce a roadmap for future characters.

20. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Masterpiece used to actually mean Masterpiece one upon a time.