Minor/Repaint: Masterpiece Sunstorm Repaint

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by AxelF, Jun 6, 2010.

1. AxelF

AxelF Member

Hi,
    Here's my first ever custom job and I just want to say thanks to the members of this forum as I was able to glean huge amounts of tips and info from reading your advice and opinions.
    Also, I took "inspiration" from a lot of other people's creativeness and I apologize to anyone who thinks I crossed a line into plain old copying but if it's any consolation, please look at my imitation as a high form of compliment :) 

Anyway, It was a Masterpiece Skywarp but now stands proud as Sunstorm.
    He's been hand painted grey, then white and finally Yellow and red with enamels before being panel lined and dirtied with some black acrylics (I wanted him Dog-fight dirty). Then the final detailing like the eyes and missiles were finised off with enamels.
    I've just finished the clear glossing now and he is fully handleable.
    [​IMG]
    Skywarps's awful hip kibble was removed, cut and replaced in more asthetically pleasing positions. The lower leg kibble is grooved so that it slides up and down during transformation as per the tutorials and instructions on this forum.
    In robot mode it also give extra support and he will now stand unaided very easily - unlike the Hasbro and Takara release Jets which need their stands.
    I have no photos of him in Jet mode yet, I'll take some soon. I'm minimizing the transformations.
    While he is fully transformable, I want to minimize the risk to the paint job for the moment, at least until the paint is fully cured.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There are still a couple of touch-ups required ( I was far too eager to let ALL the paint dry) but i'm pretty happy that he is now finished and I am very happy with the result - especially when I stand him beside Starscream and the replacement Skywarp (When I can get them to stand!)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

looks good!

3. mordecai6

mordecai6 Mexi-con

News Credits:
    I like your take on it! Kind of give a G2 vibe though.

4. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

looks great man. glad my custom sunstorm inspired you. love the pic of him with the sword and prime's head.

it looks like one of his eyes are unpainted, didnt know if u realized that or not.

5. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i can see what you mean by the touch-ups, but the panel lines and wing stripes look really good

6. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

I think he looks pretty awesome. I'm not a huge fan of panel lining, but I can appreciate it

7. AxelF

AxelF Member

Thanks guys and thanks ThyVipera - your's was obviously the main source for me :) 
    Yeah, I left the eyes as different colours - I wanted him to be an unbalanced kind of character and I thought the differing eyes would help that.
    There's plenty of Anime characters with it but I was thinking about the graphic novel of the Crow in which the lead has had his face slashed and one of his eyes loses it's colour. He also uses a sword. I don't know... just experimenting.

Re:touch ups, yeah his bottom half is a bit of a mess. Now the rush-to-finish-feeling has passed I'll spend some proper time tidying him up.

Re: Panel lines. First time doing these and they are a b*tch. Don't know if I'm doing it wrong but they nearly ruined the experience for me. But once you start, you have to finish.

8. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    That looks pretty good, I must say. Radical job!