Masterpiece Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I noticed that the Japanese Masterpiece Starscream is almost a strange blue color, a little too much like Thundercracker.
    Where as the USA Wal-Mart Masterpiece, is nearly pure white and more cartoon-accurate.
    Why is that? And just how brittle is the clear "Ghost" Starscream?

2. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    My Hasbro Starscream looks great.
    The Takara one...... Yeah....

3. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You'll find answers for many of your questions in TFW's very own Resources or My Title

Might save on a lot of threads.

4. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits:
    There's a Takara Animation colour-accurate MP Starscream as well.

5. Tigertrack

It didn't help answer my question regarding the two different color's.

6. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits:
    I might be wrong, but I think it's because Takara was going for a more realistic feel in terms of colour when they first released Starscream.

Hasbro then came up with the Animation correct version with weathering effects.

Takara followed Hasbro with its own Animation correct SS but without weathering.

7. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i dont' think the clear one would be any more brittle than any other figure, ive got clear bt mirage and its just as sturdy as any other figure i got :) 

8. Tigertrack

I also noticed that the G1 toy's aren't exactly pure white either. They look more like a very light, light grey. In the G1 cartoons, he's always shown as being white.
    One reason why I'm more interested in the WalMart Masterpiece version.

9. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I like the look of the US SS and SW Masterpieces better than the Takara versions too. As someone mentioned above, I guess Takara went for a more "what if this jet was real" look, but that's not what they look like; so I don't like 'em.

10. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  11. Tigertrack

So which is the best figure to get? I know I want the Wal-Mart version of Starscream, but which G1 figure is most accurate?

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Despite owning the US version, part of me wouldn't mind owning the Japanese original. I actually like the colors. I know they're not accurate, but I don't care.

If you're going for G1 accuracy, you should -- oh, I don't know -- get the one with the G1 color scheme.

13. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like my Green/Blue Takara starscream. It is heads above all other versions of this toy since it doesn't have any mold problems. Comparing my Hasbro Skywarp to Green Starscream, you can feel how everything just fits together better on Starscream. Now that doesn't mean i'm going to sell Skywarp because he was only 20 bucks :dj 

Personally, i'd just pick up Ghost Starscream because the walmart version is probably already pushing 100 bucks and Green Scream costs the same amount.

14. Tigertrack

Since I have the G1 Encore Skywarp and Thundercracker, I need to find the best Starscream version to complete the set.
    I'm quite happy with my Wal-Mart Skywarp, and I think the Wal-Mart Starscream will be just as good no?

15. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You've got solid reasons for not wanting Greenscream, get the one you want.

Having said that, I LOVE my Takara Starscream. I think the color scheme is fantastic. I like him much much more than my skywarp (who's also nice).

16. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah, for me the decision always depends on the price. Walmart Starscream is great and if you can find him cheap, jump on it. However, its selling for 100+ now so Ghost Starscream should really be an option for you. Wait till you see photos of it, I'm sure your going to want it then.

17. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ??? Looks like he's still going for $60-$80 one ebay although I do see a few in the $100 range?

18. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's so crazy that it just might work. :lol 

You're wanting MP's to fit in with those G1 bricks with boxing gloves? Wouldn't you want a G1 Starscream to go with them for a complete silly-fist threesome?

The Wal-mart Skywarp isn't as good as the Wal-mart Starscream. Skywarp has almost no detail. The Takara one at least has some details and nice touches, even without the decals. MP Thundercracker has those same details. The Wal-mart Starscream is great and that's the one I own. The colors are spot on and the worn look brings out the mold details (of which you just plain cannot see on Wal-mart Skywarp) I don't really want a Greenscream and I've read a lot of reports of breakage and stress-marking. YMMV

19. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

If you have ENCORE Skywarp and TC you should get the Encore Starscream. The g1 toy is not white, there was an anime accurate one released in the reissue line that was before Encore, however, even it isn't white. It's still grey.

As for the MPs. I would say get the one you want, however I really prefer the Takara one after having both for a few years. The Wal*Mart one doesn't fit together as well and the colors make the plastic look cheAper to me.

20. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'm confused. What are you trying to accomplish here? Is this thread about completing your set of G1 seekers or buying the best version of MP Starscream?