masterpiece starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by KA, Sep 27, 2006.

1. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i got 'im!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gotta go so i'll leave y with a quickie; hes a great piece of engineering, flawed as a toy. also, the sea green is REALLY sea green. feng shui!

shwoo.

okay, proper review:

1st impression, packaging, you gotta give takara props. the graphics look collectible-ish, oh look, they spelled 'the' correctly. i did notice the lightness of the item in comparison when i bought MP01. but i was stoked nonetheless.

alt mode - 1st impression, uh...feels like a plane model. also, man, the sea green is hella green. yikes. the booklet art shows the character design with greyer tones. i have a hunch they jumped the gun with the darker colors but couldnt go back ton the decision due to production deadlines.

tried to TF it w/o instruction initially...damn the seams are tight, fuhgedaboutit.

so i transforms the bia...damn, theres a hella lot of flaps and tabs and shit. but it is impressive how everything is tucked away snug and nice. the mechanism of the torso is ingenious, and for you fiddlers, these kind of things are worth the prce of admission alone.

20min later i end up with the bot mode, including adjustments and fine tuning. the figure is a bit hard to balance, but you get used to it. the sculpt is beautiful and articulation serviceable, but it doesnt seem to be as fiddle-able as mp prime was. the design isnt very robust due to number of kibble and moving parts.

conclusion: the toy is design, vehicle 1st (as noted by the accurate detailing and proportion), robot second. its a very different animal from mp prime, which was the reverse. not as fun as prime was, but the effort is commendable, if slightly misguided.

also, the design has lots of teeny bits that are easy to break off, like the tailfins spiky bits and tabs here and there, so you tend to hold it with care. like i said, not robust enough as a toy.

2. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Awesome I just got word that they are shipping early so my preorder will be here real soon. Congrats on getting him. I think he looks phenomenal.

3. AutobotEngineer

AutobotEngineer Highly Dubious

Sweet! More pictures!

4. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Lucky bastard.

SHWOOOO!

5. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

Looks good. Given the size, I'd say it's not outside the possibility of it being made completely with plastic and being sold in the movie line as a non-movie character at either the Ultra or Leader price point (size indicates ultra, complexity would push it to leader). Oh well, one can dream.

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    updated 1st post with review.

7. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How much of him is diecast?

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    he's all plastic, but the hinge that holds the centre fuselage and the guide that allows the back portion of the torso to slide up and down is metal.

i.e. no exposed metal parts, only internal.

also, the head cant turn left or right. :|

9. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

How tall is he (at the head) in cm? I'm assuming between 20-23cm but it would be good if you could confirm. Thanks.

10. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Nice!!! I should go order one...

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Hmm, all plastic and limited head articulation? What a downer, but I guess if he is hard to stand metal would have made him harder.
    Still, the head is annoying.

12. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

All plastic? Does that increase the chances of a Hasbro domestic release? I'd much rather buy it that way, whether they change the colors to be more G1 or stick to a realistic airplane-grey (which I guess the sea green still fails at, huh?).

13. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I love how I finally came to grips with a blue Starscream and then right before shipping.... WHAM! They make it green. I....just don't get it.

14. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IMO, I'd never spend 100 bucks on that. All plastic, not even G1 accurate (which really didn't bother me all THAT bad, but green? UGH!), and limited articulation. And Hip kibble. Damn that kibble.

Worth 50 bucks at most.

15. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

The plastic is bothersome but it's still quite impressive. I'll wait until after botcon before making the final call.

16. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The head can't turn?? :( 

Coulda sworn I saw it looking somewhere in a picture, but with the face gimmick I'm also not surprised.

Sounds very cool if I can get him on a discount. :D 

17. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    Does he have any waist articulation?

18. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Hey, KA. It looks to me like the kibble on the shoulder intakes (the kibble that makes the end of the fuel tanks) can be removed and permanently glued onto the ends of the wings. Can you see anything that would prevent that?

19. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Just so you guys know, it costs a lot more to mold several small pieces than a few large pieces. Since KA says hes very fiddly, I take it that it's a lot more complicated than Prime? Either way the lack of diecast metal isn't surprising.

As for the head articulation; HLJ photos seem to show that it's just a matter of not making the head sit flush on the body to have head articulation. Just like with Energon Rodimus, it looks like that when the head sits flush on the body the ball joint points forward but moved back a bit it'll point upwards. Only in this case the piece the ball joint is attached to isn't ridiculously long like Rodimus's. You're the one with it on hand, so let us know please.
    http://www.hlj.com/product/tkt71889

Another thing I'd like to know is if there is any indication on the packaging or in the booklet of a scale. Since this is based on a real aircraft; whereas, Prime's vehicle mode isn't based on a real model, I'd think that it has an accurate scale. The translation for an article in a Japanese magazine that was posted on TFormers a couple days ago says that it is 1:60 scale.
    http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=6528

20. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    man, the news about the head BLOWS. I realize it looks like we can work around it, but for this price, to have a stationary head...bleh