masterpiece starscream: what's the difference between takara and hasbro?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kaz, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Kaz

Kaz Well-Known Member

hey guys what is the difference between the g1 starscream takara version and the wal-mart hasbro version, thanks guys!!

2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I saw them in Tokyo last month and honestly couldn't see much of a difference at all. But since I didn't have an actual Wal*Mart one on hand to compare, I could be wrong.

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You talking about the G1-colored Takara "USA edition"?

From what I've heard, the Takara version has somewhat pointier points on the jet tailfins, and MAYBE a bit less smoky weathering paint on the back of the jet mode (big maybe)

4. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    the hasbro has molded white plastic
    while the takara one the white painted.

5. Kaz

Kaz Well-Known Member

i meant the g1 color starscream.

6. alex_kingdom

alex_kingdom Well-Known Member

The only real difference is Takara have put a Decepticon symbol on Starscreams nosecone all other differences are negligable. I've seen no solid evidence (and I've seen both figures close up) to suggest there is any less weathering, pointer fins, of white paint instead of white plastic. From what I've seen its the exact same figure in the exact same packaging (allbeit with a USA edition sticker on the Takara one) with the exact same paint job.

Yours AK

7. Type-R

Type-R blissed off my chonk!

News Credits:
    The edges of the tail fins were rounded off slightly on the Hasbro version to meet safety requirements. There's also the nosecone logo on the TakaraTomy version that was already mentioned. The differences aren't really noticeable though.

8. Viper08

Viper08 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How about the differences on the plastics of both?, i know the original green starscream was renowned for its brittleness, and that hasbro fixed the plastic for their G1 version, so my question is; did takara use the new more resilient plastic for their version of G1 starscream, or did they use the plastic from the green screamer?
    Hopefully someone that has had both (hasbro and takara G1 versions) in hand could shed some light into this.
    This question arouses because comparing my Japanese G1 Takara Screamer and my walmart exclusive SKywarp, the plastic and general fell of skywarp is more solid than the japanese one. The reason i got the japanese Starscream is that i ordered the walmart one, but the vendor at amazon sent me the japanese, i contacted him about it and he said both toys were identical.
    It could be that since the Japanese one uses the MP-03 mold (even though it MIGHT use the new more durable plastic instead of the brittle one from MP-03) and that mold has some thinner areas than the Hasbro version it just feels more fragile (you can tell by looking at the back or trailing edge of the vertical stabilisers, in Starscream they are DEFINETLY thinner than in SKywarp), so it could just be a perception of fragilness when the plastics are the same except used in lower thickness.
    If anyone could clear this up for me it would be great.
    Thanks for the replies guys.

9. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    The plastic between the two white versions are the same. Thankfully none have had as brittle as plastic as the original green Starscream did. I have all the versions too (MP-3, MP-6, MP-7, MP-3G, Walmart SS, USA Edition SS, and Walmart SW).

Well I'm about to prove you wrong.

I have both and the weathering and fins are pointer. I've never heard of this white paint rumor as that's not true. See below for evidence.
    USA Edition Masterpiece Starscream Gallery at the Allspark

The Japanese one is on the right in all these pictures.

Randy

Attached Files:

10. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

LOL @ PoweredConvoy going out of his way to prove people wrong.

11. PoweredConvoy

News Credits:
    I like to think of it as dispelling rumors and misinformation. :) 

Randy

12. Viper08

News Credits:
    Appreciate it PoweredConvoy!!!, so the two G1 Starscream are the same then?, the only difference was the mold on the japanese one was the one used for MP-03 ALBEIT with the newer stronger plastic right?

13. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    have both, the weathering is silver on takara, black on hasbro, takara has tampo'd decepticon logo on the nose , pointy tailfin spikes

14. PoweredConvoy

News Credits:
    You're welcome.

Well the plastic colors are the same, but as you can see the Wal-Mart one has black wear on his back and in greater amount, the USA Edition Japanese one had less wear on his back and it's light gray.

Also the USA Edition Japanese one has a Decepticon logo on his nose cone area.

Also the sharper longer points on the vertical stabilizers.

The two white versions (Walmart & USA Edition Japanese version) use the same kind of plastic between the two - there is no difference in the plastics, just the painted details (and vertical stabilizers).

Randy

15. Viper08

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info, so the only difference in terms of the plastic brittleness is with the MP-03 ORIGINAL Green Screamer?, he's the one with the very brittle plastic, right? so you can actually tell the difference in the plastic between MP-03 and any of the two G1 redeco Starscreams?, i'm really interested on this last piece of info as well.
    Thanks so much for your help, really appreciate it.

16. PoweredConvoy

News Credits:
    Yeah the plastic is more brittle on the green Starscream compared to the other releases. Thundercracker's is a little more brittle then white Starscream and Skywarp's is too, but not nearly as bad as green Starscream's. As one of my Thundercracker's had part of his plastic crack, so I replaced him.

There is no difference in the plastic between the two white versions and neither have the brittle plastic like the green one had.

Randy

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

It's weird how inconsistent the quality of the plastic is in these MP seekers.

18. Viper08

News Credits:
    If i've ever gotten a concise and proper answer to a questions on this board; this is it.
    Appreciate the info very very much.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer and sorry about all the questions.

19. CETERUS PRIME

CETERUS PRIME Well-Known Member

Anyone know where to get one of these for a half decent price ? Looking to get one MISB or close to it. And Thanks for the detailed clarification guys, I was about to ask this question when I came upon this thread just lookin around.