Masterpiece SS Vs. MP-03 SS

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by gehhn, Nov 29, 2007.

1. gehhn

gehhn Member

So, just so I'm clear--the Masterpiece Starscream sold at Wal-Mart is a plastic, less sophisticated version of the MP-03 SS that had metal parts, more intricate, etc.?

Just wondering. I have MP-01--love Prime!--and saw Screamer at Wal-Mart, snatched it, and realized it is not exactly--even remotely--the same deal. I'm assuming the MP-03 SS is much better, expensive, and totally sold out everywhere? Thanks for the clarification!

2. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

US edition is better, seems less fragile to me, no difference in quality of the plastic. And MP03 is that hideous green (looks good in jet mode though).

3. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

Yeah, they're both the same. However, the US version is miles above "Greenscream" bot mode wise.

4. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:

what?? dude, you got it backwards, the MP-03 is crap, it's not even the right colors. You picked up the way better version, and for a better price!

Mold wise, the Walmart MP Starscream and MP-03 are identical.. maybe you picked up the Classics Starscream? cuz he's a smaller less sophisticated Starscream toy than the MP version.

5. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Um, US MP SS has the exact same amount of metal as MP-03 SS did, with arguably better plastics used (I only own the US version, so I can't compare, but mine seems pretty sturdy). The only real difference between the two is color scheme. If you don;t like the US version, the only thing paying a lot more money for the japanese version will get you is a different color.

6. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I thought Dark_Convoy put this to bed...

7. gehhn

gehhn Member

"thought Dark_Convoy put this to bed..."

Sorry, I haven't scrolled through the logs. Still, I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing here--this Wal-Mart SS has no metal! Totally plastic. And it does say Masterpiece, but not MP-03. It just doesn't seem the same as the Prime I have, which, of course, is heavy, etc.

This Wal-Mart screamer would blow away in the wind! I saw some discussion here of someone repeatedly, accidentally breaking it--that seems to be what I have (though not broken). Does the Mp-03 have any metal?

8. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    they're all the same, japanese and american. The only real difference is the box, and the colors of the toy.

They don't have all the metal parts like Optimus does, the toys aren't as big either.

9. GavynN.X.

GavynN.X. I want AM thundercracker

News Credits:
    They have exactly the same amount of metal. Maybe someone can weigh the two?

Paint finish on MP-03 appears better than on US Starscream. White plastic just looks cheap on about any toy most of the time. So for $50 more, you are paying for a lovely box & a "realistic" color scheme that some really like.

10. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    Technically.. MP SS has screws.. and they are metal..

The part that you pull off on his back.. the air break thing.. the connector is metal..

And seriously who cares if there's metal.. I think almost everything about this dude rocks except for the occasional stress marks people are getting..

11. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, there is hardly any metal, just the screws, pins, and the track thingie in his torso. Both are the exact same except for colour. The Takara one has a sticker sheet and card. The pointy nubs at the top of the tail fins are also rounded slightly on the USA one. It's the same toy. I have both.

12. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    I think what the problem is, is that many people compare SS to MP Convoy/Prime. True, they are under the same "Masterpiece" banner, but really they are vastly different toys. Starscream is a great toy, but I don't feel he lives up to the "masterpiece" standards set by Convoy/Prime. Prime wasn't just a great design and a wonderful feat of engineering, but he also had the overall 'quality' and durable feel that Starscream lacks. Prime's plastic seems more sturdy, his paint is more consistant and he has a good amount of diecast. You could probably play with him for ten years, beat a hobo with him, bury him in the backyard, and he would still be a quality toy 60 years later when a kid finds his arm sticking up from the bottom of a nuclear blast crater.

So I can see why people who aren't informed would get a Starscream thinking it's a toy comparable to Prime. Unfortunately Prime is still the best/most solid toy in the Masterpiece line, with King Exkaiser being behind him. I would put Megatron and Starscream as a tie for last place, but only in terms of comparing them to Prime*. Based on their own standards they are both quite excellent toys.

*I didn't include Magnus here because he's essentially the same toy as Prime, only white.

13. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    what other Masterpiece toys did they all make besides Transformers?

14. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    So far the only non-Transformers toy in the Masterpiece line was Brave King Exkaiser. http://www.hlj.com/product/TAK14116

It's an awesome toy, but some people found the size to be too small and the transformation too complicated. I thought it was spectacular all around, size, transformation, engineering, quality. Well worth the $100 or less it can be had for.

15. Golgo-013

Golgo-013 The Professional

To the topic creator, I can understand your confusion. For what ever reason the MP SS is not the same quality as MP-01. I was just as shocked as you are when I saw the size of it, then when I picked it up for the first time I was even more shocked how flimsy and fragile it was. Unfortunately that's just the way it is with Hasbro MP SS, MP-03, and MP-06. All the same, small with no diecast.

Good news is, if you bought MP SS for $50 you got an excellent deal as the figure is easily worth that.

Don't forget the MP-B02 Dragon Kizer. I give credit to this website for convincing me to pick up MP-B01 and MP-B02.
    http://ooebihara.sakura.ne.jp/toys/braves/EX/MPB02/MPB02a.htm

[​IMG]

MP-B01 link

MP-B01 and MP-B02 combine to form Great Exkizer. This is one awesome piece with some significant diecast, not the whole fig but quite a bit. Very heavy chogokin feel and almost as tall as MP Prime when combined.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. gehhn

gehhn Member

Thanks! That was really helpful. I guess I'll keep my find. I suppose that in real life, as in the cartoon, Prime can put a hurtin' on SS.

17. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I got MP-03 and MP-06 and quality wise I see no difference. The colour on MP-03 may not be typical cartoon like but I'm not bothered. When/if I get walmart SS then i'll just rename MP-03 Thundercracker and then they all 3 are there :D 

18. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:

Heh, I fogot those two were seperate releases and was visualizing them as one. Thanks for the clarification! :) 

19. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    OOOOH. Now I want the Kizers as well!

20. Greatshot

Greatshot The One, The Only

i dont have the u.s. version yet, but i found the quality of masterpiece skywarp to be way better than that of the green masterpiece starscream. not so much in plastic quality but more along the lines of tighter joints and less pieces falling off.